Useful shortcut for a faster workflow

3ple

I don't know how you guys feel about your workflow, but I'm always looking for better and faster ways to work so I can focus more on making music.

One shortcut that I use for a few years now is like the CMD+Tab to go through the opened applications, but in this case it goes through all windows of the current application. That is super useful, for example, when I have only one screen/monitor, but I still want to work "full-screen". I don't really like the mixer or the piano roll on half of the screen at the bottom. So I open the 3 windows I use the most (Arrangement, Mixer and Piano Roll), maximize them and in my case I hit ALT+Tab to cycle through the different windows. It saves so much time and I can still work with big windows.

So if you don't have this set up yet, here's how to do it:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts. Then on the left select the "Keyboard" option and then "Move Focus To Next Window. Just click or double click the shortcut (if there's any) and type the shortcut you want to use! Enjoy :)

1279191983_ScreenShot2017-02-28at12_33_39AM.png.aacef6386c1bc27fafc2cbcec39afeb6.png

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Since switching to High Sierra I can't get this great shortcut to work.

Anyone else had this issue in HS?

Thanks

I don't have High Sierra and if this shortcut doesn't work, I'm not upgrading. This shortcut saves me so much time!

Do you see the shortcut on the list and then it doesn't work or it simply disappeared from the list?

Hi,

I can still see the shortcut in the list of keyboard shortcuts, but just doesn't work.

I've undone and redone the shortcut in an attempt to retriever it, but no joy.

Apart from this, no other issues to report with High Sierra :)

Cheers

Vinny

When you say "undone and redone" you mean you tried the same shortcut you used to use? Have you tried different key combinations? I'm asking this because sometimes they assign certain key combinations to do other stuff so certain available combinations become unavailable. I remember with Logic, for example, I used to use CMD M to merge regions but then because Apple used that combination to minimize windows, I had to change it to CMD J

HI, I meant that I went into the system preferences and tried resetting the keyboard combination to see if I could get the same functionality. That didn't work BUTTTT :)

I tried re-saving the different screens in my template and that did the trick :)

So I just got rid of the old Mixer and piano roll windows and created new ones, renamed them and the shortcut worked.

So maybe it's just to do with templates created in pre High Sierra???

Thanks again for you help, much appreciated.

Any other shortcut info greatly accepted :)

Cheers

Vinny

HI, I meant that I went into the system preferences and tried resetting the keyboard combination to see if I could get the same functionality. That didn't work BUTTTT :)

I tried re-saving the different screens in my template and that did the trick :)

So I just got rid of the old Mixer and piano roll windows and created new ones, renamed them and the shortcut worked.

Cheers

Vinny

Good that you found a workaround! :)

Still, my question is: when you say you tried to reset the shortcut, do you mean you deleted the shortcut you created, then created a new one using the same set of keys? Have you tried another set of keys? For example, mine is OPTION Tab

So if I wanted to try another set of keys, maybe I would try OPTION T or SHIFT L, etc.

Have you tried a new set of key combinations to see if the shortcut doesn't work or if it's a bug? I would like to know that.

I never really liked the Screenset feature inside Logic (not sure if that's what you mean by Screens). I hate the flashing when going from one screenset to the other and I feel it should be a quick transition. It always feels like it takes "forever" (of course a few ms of delay, is considered "forever" haha). So I never really used it.

Let me know about a new set of key combination, if it works at all.

Thanks

Cheers

Vinny

Also, does the shortcut work in another app, but not in Logic? Have you tried having several Safari windows open and use the shortcut to see if it works? If it works with Safari, but not with Logic, then it means that you're maybe already using that shortcut inside Logic to do something else or Logic has that shortcut to do something specific and you can't change it. Let me know that as well. Thanks :)

Hi,

Yes, I tried a different set of keys, the default was command then comma. This wasn't working so I changed it to your keys, which didn't work until I deleted and saved the windows I had in Logic.

I do know that Alt tab was working in Safari as I use it all the time, so just the old Logic template that caused an issue for me.

By "screens" I meant the pages/screensets :)

Cheers

Hi,

Yes, I tried a different set of keys, the default was command then comma. This wasn't working so I changed it to your keys, which didn't work until I deleted and saved the windows I had in Logic.

I do know that Alt tab was working in Safari as I use it all the time, so just the old Logic template that caused an issue for me.

By "screens" I meant the pages/screensets :)

Cheers

Got ya. So I guess it was just a bug with Logic, since it still works with Safari. Good to know :) I can upgrade now (not yet hahaha)

• 3 months later...

Hmm...Interesting shortcut to apply system-wide, not just for LPX, but isn't that the same thing like "Cycle Through Windows" from "Window" menu in LPX?

It gives me exactly same result as that command and I assigned "Cycle Through Windows" with Command + ` (characted below "Escape") ?

Hmm...Interesting shortcut to apply system-wide, not just for LPX, but isn't that the same thing like "Cycle Through Windows" from "Window" menu in LPX?

It gives me exactly same result as that command and I assigned "Cycle Through Windows" with Command + ` (characted below "Escape") ?

Yes I use this shortcut for everything, not just Logic. It saves me tons of time.

I don’t know about that Logic shortcut you mentioned though...