Send vs Bus vs Aux

3ple

This is just something I decided to create and "explain" to those who sometimes use one term when they should be using another, even though, in the end, we all understand what they are talking about. This was just me trying to illustrate using an image we all know (I hope) and some photoshop "skills" haha

So for me there's a difference when we say "send", "bus" and "aux/auxiliary". They are different things, even though, as I said, we all understand each other. But here's my 2 cents:

- Send is the control that sends a certain amount of sound coming from the source

- Bus is the path used by that same signal to go from the source/origin to the destination

- Aux is the destination (or at least the first destination, since we then have the plugin or plugins).

So basically we have 5 elements here: Source (the original sound), Send, Bus, Aux, Plugin(s)

So for me when someone says "I'm sending this sound TO a bus", I see it as a "wrong" statement, just because we are not sending it TO, but we are sending it THROUGH. We are in fact sending it TO an Aux, which is the destination. The same when someone says that they have a reverb on Bus 1. The reverb is not actually on the Bus, it's on the Aux. The source (dry) travels THROUGH the Bus, to the Aux that then sends it TO the reverb.

I know it's not that important, but hey, it's still fun to see it like that :P And hope you like the illustration I created to make it even clearer (just in case it wasn't enough ahaha)

2049680369_SendvsBusvsAux.jpg.c4fca46b43efba35fce36039435ab846.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be the same as inserting it on the aux? ;)

No, because 10 Aux-channels can have Bus 1 as input ;)

Oh I see. Well, but in a way it is the same as inserting it on the Aux itself. The only thing is that you would have to do it 10 times. It's more about the time saving than the final result itself, which is also a good thing.

I never felt the need to do it, though. One thing I would love Logic to do would be to "interrupt" the chain at a certain point and send that to a bus. For example let's say I have 10 inserts on my channel strip. And instead of the send being at the end of the 10 inserts, I would love to have a plugin that I could insert for example after insert 5 and that would act as a send. It's not the first time I need that in a mix