Use legacy presets on ES2, EXS24, etc

3ple

Hey guys! :)

So a while ago I discovered by accident that some of the plugins that are now on the Legacy menu, like Drums, Guitar, Tuned Percussion and other are actually like a simplified version of EXS24. Yesterday I found out that other plugins there like the Analog Mono, Analog Swirl, Digital Stepper and others are a simplified version of the ES2. There's also the Clav which is the Vintage Clav, the Electric Piano which is the Vintage Piano and the ToneWheel Organ which is the Vintage Organ.

The Church Organ, Hybrid Basic and Hybrid Morph seem to be unique, as I tried to find the synth that opens when I tried to replace them, but no success.

That being said, if you still have the presets for those legacy synths, you can use them. Here's the list of compatibility:

Analog Basic = ES2

Analog Mono = ES2

Analog Pad = ES2

Analog Swirl = ES2

Analog Sync = ES2

Bass = EXS 24

Church Organ

Digital Basic = ES2

Digital Mono = ES2

Digital Stepper = ES2

Drum Kits = EXS 24

Electric Clav = Vintage Clav

Electric Piano = Vintage Piano

Guitar = EXS 24

Horns = EXS 24

Hybrid Basic

Hybrid Morph

Piano = EXS 24

Sound Effects = EXS 24

Strings = EXS 24

ToneWheel Organ  =Vintage B3 Organ

Tuned Percussion = EXS 24

Voice = EXS 24

Woodwind = EXS 24

What that means is that you just need to drag the presets, for example for Analog Basic into your ES2 folder and you will be able to use those presets. There are some cool sounds in all of them. And that also applies to Piano presets open with EXS24, etc. Just follow the list. Again, Those 3 red ones, I think they are unique and there's no way to replace them.

Even if you don't have those old presets, here they are (I renamed and created new folders to make it easier to find the replacement):

Logic Instruments Legacy.zip

Hope it makes sense and that it's somehow useful. I loved having a few more presets for my good old ES2 :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those were Garageband instruments.

If you hold [Option] when selecting an Instrument in a channel strip, then the Legacy section shows in the pop-up menu. You can choose from a limited set of instruments.

However, if you go to the Settings pop-up at the top of the channel strip, choose [Legacy] > [Garageband] then you get a much bigger selection of sounds to choose from. The same "cut-down" interface is shown.

But there's one more trick here:

Having loaded a Setting, go back to the instrument slot and choose EXS24 (if it's a real instrument) or ES2 (if it's a synth) and the same sound that's loaded will now appear in EXS24 or ES2. Nice for further or more complex tweaking....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those were Garageband instruments.

If you hold [Option] when selecting an Instrument in a channel strip, then the Legacy section shows in the pop-up menu. You can choose from a limited set of instruments.

However, if you go to the Settings pop-up at the top of the channel strip, choose [Legacy] > [Garageband] then you get a much bigger selection of sounds to choose from. The same "cut-down" interface is shown.

But there's one more trick here:

Having loaded a Setting, go back to the instrument slot and choose EXS24 (if it's a real instrument) or ES2 (if it's a synth) and the same sound that's loaded will now appear in EXS24 or ES2. Nice for further or more complex tweaking....

Yes, the option of loading those instruments is available under the Legacy menu, but since they are now under a hidden menu and also there's less control over the parameters. That's why I mentioned that they were a smaller or limited version of Es2 or EXS24. My idea when I shared this "tip" was because instead of loading those legacy plugins we can go straight to the ones we already know: Es2 and EXS24. And we can use the presets there, from the legacy. It's just a bunch of extra presets that one can add to their library ;)

And yes, the way I found that they were compatible was by loading a legacy version and then switching to the Es2, Exs25, Vintage Clav, etc :)

• 3 years later...

New to the forum, but not new to Logic, I know this post is very old, but wanted to share what I have recently found... Basically, the Hybrid Morph is just slimmed down version of ESX24. And if you install the GarageBand Instruments (possibly from the Legacy and compatibility content). You will have the option to pick the Hybrid Morph presets (see attached screenshot). However, when you compare the Hybrid Morph Chiller preset to Logic's Electric Piano Suitcase Mark IV, it sounds very similar.

UPhpYb4.jpg

New to the forum, but not new to Logic, I know this post is very old, but wanted to share what I have recently found... Basically, the Hybrid Morph is just slimmed down version of ESX24.

Hi Logicprohacks, and welcome to our forum! Thanks for adding that info. So in 10.5 there is no way to open the Hybrid Morph presets in Sampler is there? I tried to copy and paste the presets but the paste button in Sampler is grayed out when a Hybrid Morph preset is in the clipboard.

So in 10.5 there is no way to open the Hybrid Morph presets in Sampler is there? I tried to copy and paste the presets but the paste button in Sampler is grayed out when a Hybrid Morph preset is in the clipboard.

I honestly thought those presets were from the "Legacy and Compatibility" soundsets, specifically "GarageBand 11 Sounds and Instruments" or one of the Jam Packs, but I can be wrong...

tLQs2TU.jpg

I actually have a newer test Mac that has Catalina with Logic 10.5 and I will have to test this... In the meantime, I went ahead and searched for the the Hybrid Morph Instrument and samples and this is where they are located for me... see screenshots below:

Hybrid Morph Instrument Location

( /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments//Hybrid Morph)

C40PH8y.jpg

Hybrid Morph Samples Location

( /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/Hybrid Synthesizers)

nfNYbLu.jpg

I would say give a try with downloading the Legacy and Compatibility soundsets from Logic's download Manager, let me know if that works, if not, I will test this on my Catalina Mac and report back.

Thanks! However I can open Hybrid Morph patches, what I meant is, if they were based on EXS24, I am assuming than in 10.4 one could replace the Hybrid Morph plug-in with EXS24 and get the same sound albeit with more tweakability. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible in 10.5 since EXS24 is no more. I tried replacing the plug-in with Sampler but got the dreaded sine wave.

I am assuming than in 10.4 one could replace the Hybrid Morph plug-in with EXS24 and get the same sound albeit with more tweakability. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible in 10.5 since EXS24 is no more. I tried replacing the plug-in with Sampler but got the dreaded sine wave.

I see what your saying... yes, that happens for me in 10.4.8. I tested this just now, on a project I knew had a hybrid morp instrument in it, replaced it with a EXS24 and I also got the dreaded sine wave tone, LOL. Not sure when this changed happened, but seems weird. It seems kinda crummy b/c you will lose any custom settings if you do find the preset in EXS24.

• 3 weeks later...