Pitched samples in Ultrabeat

3ple

Hey guys! :)

So, now that I decided to explore a bit more of the trap/hip hop genre, I found that Logic is not very friendly with certain things, mainly, those HH and Snare rolls where some notes are pitched up/down. You could, of course load the sample into the EXS24 and do it, the problem is that sometimes you want to create the pattern and then being able to quickly load other samples, so the EXS24 is not an option. Then I thought about the Ultrabeat on that 25th key where we can use a sample that's pitched UP, but not down (at least, not that I'm aware of. I thought of pitching the sample down an octave, so the 25th key would be an octave down and then the original pitch would be an octave up, so if I wanted to pitch either up or down, I would have at least a whole octave to go down and then a few other octaves to go up. That was an option, but the problem is that once we load a new sample, the pitch goes back to C3.

So after thinking and thinking, I came up with this solution. Let me know if this is useful and if there's a better/faster way to do it that I'm not aware of :)

Once you load the Ultrabeat and load your sample onto that top key (25th note), insert the Modulator MIDI Fx. Deactivate the LFO and activate the ENV. Set the HOLD to the max (10000ms) and the ATTACK to 0ms. The DELAY should also be at 0ms (I think it's the default value). The RELEASE is not important, but you can also set it to 10000ms if you want.

Now at the bottom go to the TO box and pick the Learn Midi Parameter and then click the Pitch handle on Ultrabeat. Once you do that, change the Output Level on the Modulator to 34%. That will bring the Pitch an octave down. Now even when you load a new sample, the Modulator will force the pitch to go 1 octave down. ;)

Save the Modulator state as a preset and you're good to go, next time you want to do it.

Hope it's useful and again, let me know if there's another method I'm not aware of.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this, it can be frustrating using the exs for these things. Have you ever thought about some sort of smart controls setup for pulling off the pitched rolls? I have seen someone do this before on youtube but can't seem to find the video anymore. My knowledge on smart controls is limited but I'm sure some kind of setup will be useful for many producers/beatmakers. This is often one gripe I hear with modern producers when it comes to logic and styles such as trap and or dubstep.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this, it can be frustrating using the exs for these things. Have you ever thought about some sort of smart controls setup for pulling off the pitched rolls? I have seen someone do this before on youtube but can't seem to find the video anymore. My knowledge on smart controls is limited but I'm sure some kind of setup will be useful for many producers/beatmakers. This is often one gripe I hear with modern producers when it comes to logic and styles such as trap and or dubstep.

I am not and never was a smart controls user either and from what I know, smart controls can't be saved as presets, so it becomes kind of a useless solution. With the method I described you can just use the Brush tool to create the rolls in different pitches, which was what I was looking for :)

At first I couldn't quite understand your method but after reading it again and using the brush tool it works pretty well!

Good to know that :)

Happy that it helped. Let's hope Apple will improve this and other "issues" that seem pretty obvious and a priority

Thanx for sharing your trick! Clever actually!

BTW, I think that Smart Controls are saved in a patch preset.

Thanks! :)

I never really used the Smart Controls on a regular basis. I think they are a good idea, but I think it could benefit from some tweaks, at least from the few times I used it, that's what I felt.

Thanx for sharing your trick! Clever actually!

BTW, I think that Smart Controls are saved in a patch preset.

Thanks! :)

I never really used the Smart Controls on a regular basis. I think they are a good idea, but I think it could benefit from some tweaks, at least from the few times I used it, that's what I felt.

Agreed!

There's definitely place for improvement...