Audioswift - turn your trackpad into a controller

Ploki

• 4 weeks later...

The functionality is nice, but i hate losing my *mouse* with it. (If it only locked out my trackpad, that's fine, locking out external mouse is a no go)

if you have a non-touch interface mouse i guess it should work fine.

It's great for repurposing a trackpad :)

I noticed the mouse issue as well.

That being said, I have my laptop close enough to my keyboard that I can play the keys with one hand and operate the trackpad with my other, and the hour I spent with the AudioSwift demo this afternoon was a great deal of fun. Alchemy's XY pads, in particular, are a breeze to automate and play expressively.

But I will buy someone a beer if they test this out and report back the results.

There is a trial version for Audioswift, so if you own a Magic Trackpad 2 you can test it out yourself!

I do have a Magic Trackpad 2 and the Aftertouch feature works great by the way.

Lightpad M (the 20€ more expensive version) is so soft and squishy... after touch is wonderful + you can adjust its response + its POLYPHONIC + its ALSO wireless. No really, if aftertouch is your game, ROLI is the name

For the same price as audioswift + magic trackpad to boot. :D

Lightpad M (the 20€ more expensive version) is so soft and squishy... after touch is wonderful + you can adjust its response + its POLYPHONIC + its ALSO wireless. No really, if aftertouch is your game, ROLI is the name

For the same price as audioswift + magic trackpad to boot. :D

Thanks to you, Ploki, I bought a Lightpad M :)

Still, I've been testing Audioswift against the Lightpad for the past few days and I think Audioswift gives you better control of modulation, especially when using an XY pad. While the Lightpad does all kinds of awesome things (not regretting the purchase at all), it requires a decent amount of pressure to trigger and your fingers don't always slide smoothly across the silicone surface.

Since Audioswift uses the trackpad, modulating an XY pad is smooth as hell. At least it was for me. Also, Audioswift lets you switch between 1-finger, 2-finger, and 3-finger XY movement. So, you can modulate both of Alchemy's XY pads and its Tranform Pad just by switching the number of fingers you're using.

Same results modulating Retro Synth's cutoff and filter controls.

Anyhow, for $20-something, Audioswift is nice.

Doesn't - you cannot limit it to a single trackpad... meaning it blocks out your other trackpads/magic mouse.

too bad

Hi I'm Nigel. I'm the developer of AudioSwift.

About the issue with the Magic Mouse or working with two trackpads, I've released a new version 1.2.0 that has a workaround for this. Because of limitations with the macOS framework used to make AudioSwift work properly, a trackpad can't be used solely for the MIDI controller without moving the mouse pointer. That's why the mouse pointer is frozen when the console is on, to avoid accidental clicks and drags over other apps.

In the new version however, the first trackpad that is touched when the console is on will be the MIDI controller. Then, when the second device surface is touched (another trackpad or a Magic Mouse), the console will be turned off automatically so you can get control of the mouse pointer again without the need of pressing the escape key or the hotkey.

To download the new version, just click "Check for updates" at the main menu.

• 2 months later...
Hi. I released a public beta update of AudioSwift which includes the new Slider Mode. It's a fifth controller that divides the trackpad into 1 to 4 virtual sliders and send either CC or Pitch Bend MIDI messages. It's great for desktop composers/sound designers or mobile producers working with a MacBook and a small 25-Keys keyboard. The trackpad becomes a handy wireless MIDI controller. For more information click here.

New slider mode works great with Logic. Might be my favorite mode.

Thanks Nigel.

I’m glad you like it. Thanks for your feedback. The Return to Default feature with the smoothness of the trackpad’s surface will definitely add expressiveness to a lot of VI’s. I will add this feature to the XY Mode.

I’m going to release soon a quick update that will let AudioSwift remember the trackpad you’re using as a MIDI controller, so AudioSwift will activate automatically by just touching that trackpad, and deactivates when moving a mouse. With this option there’s no need for four/five fingers taps, hotkeys or escape keys.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
https://audioswiftapp.com

have a spare magic trackpad 1 lying around, trying it now.

In The Environment in Logic, you can create a floating window with a fader pad, then you can process each of the values for the pad and cable to n-Number of instruments/objects.

If you just wanted to work on a selected instrument, cable it to the Input Notes and add a Scripter object to process anything you need to do, in case you don't want to program in The Environment.

And yes, you can use your mouse or trackpad controlling myFaderPad.

FaderPad.thumb.png.27cac2450c1e9239a708dc259778b563.png

Not to be a buzz kill on this but I'm not seeing an advantage of using Audioswift in Logic when compared to using The Environment.

Oh yeah, here's just one crazy thing you can do with a fader setup using The Environment in Logic.

Here is a guide for working with a trackpad in Logic Pro. I review some of the multitouch gestures available, different setups using the trackpad as a MIDI controller with AudioSwift, and how to customize shortcuts with gestures using BetterTouchTool. I share a trick for moving the playhead with a tap anywhere in the Arrange window, not only over empty spaces.

Producing Music with a Trackpad

• 3 years later...