Multiband processing with stock plugins

3ple

For those of you who like to process stuff on a multiband level, here's my workaround. It took me a while to figure it out, but I found it.

I know it's easy to just send the output to different busses and then using the Multipressor, soloing the bands we want. BUT what about when you want to change the crossover on 2 bands? You have to go and change it on 2 plugins, then if you decide to change it on another one, here we go again... ;)

I worked on this workaround, just because I like to use stock plugins and I like to come up with solutions that replace third party plugins in a creative way. It all started with me trying to find a way to replace Fab Filter Saturn (the multiband distortion plugin).

Download the project below and have fun with it.

3ple - Multiband Processing.zip

The Source is just the Test Oscillator set to white noise, so just unmute it. Some notes:

1 - The 3 crossovers are controlled via automation. Since Logic doesn't handle automation the best way (not in real time), when you change one of the crossovers, you have to stop and play so Logic assumes the new crossover position

2 - Be careful not to overlap crossovers (since they are in different lanes) otherwise it will be a mess ;)

3 - Use the Crossover track to control... the crossover (duh) and the other 4 tracks (they are Busses) to control the gain of each band

4 - Don't mess with the regions that are on the Crossover track or the other regions. The pink regions are clones and those are the regions that allow everything to be in sync when it comes to the crossovers in all Multipressors across the busses

5 - If you want to use this on other track, just duplicate the summing track, drag the new track into the summing track and send it 100% to Bus 1, Bus 2, Bus 3, Bus 4 and make sure you have the Output set to "No Output".

I guess that's it :)

Hope this is a good (and fun) way to explore Logic in a more creative way and hopefully, it will help some of you who would like to being able to avoid third party plugins at all cost, like myself ;)

Let me know what you think!