How to "select all tracks with same output"?

bpetrov

Hey folks,

I'll cut right to the chase: In the mixer, is there a way to select all tracks that have the same output? I'd like to quickly change a bunch of tracks's output from, for example, Stereo Out to some bus. In other words, I'd like to quickly go from this Before configuration to the After:

Before:

Track w/ mixed/mastered reference file ---

.................................................................... \

.................................................................... ----> Stereo Out

.................................................................... /

All my other tracks --------------------------

After:

Track w/ mixed/mastered reference file -----------------------------------

................................................................................................................. \

................................................................................................................. ----> Stereo Out

................................................................................................................. /

All my other tracks -------------------------> My own mix/master bus ----

The point of this would be able to flip back and forth between the reference file and my own mix/master track. In the Before diagram, assuming I put my mix/master chain on Stereo Out, solo-ing the reference track results in hearing my mix/master chain applied on top of an alrerady mixed/mastered reference.

Thanks,

Boris (Producer + Songwriter, soundcloud.com/bpetrov)

Sounds like the hard way to do this.

Set the reference track output to Bus 1

Set all your tracks output to Bus 2

Set output of Bus 1 and Bus 2 to stereo output

Put all your "fixins" on Bus 2

Solo Bus 1, option click Solo Bus 2, repeat as necessary.

Only plugin(s) on your Stereo Out should be an adaptive limiter to catch spikes, and maybe some meters.

Right, I’m looking for a quick way to do the second part, “Set all your tracks output to Bus 2”. I envision this hypothetical feature I’m looking for to be similar to the midi select feature “Select all following events of same pitch”, where you can select all kick drum midi notes, for instance, and then edit them all at once. I’d like to “Select all tracks with sans output”.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a command for that. I just open the mixer window and click and control click on all the tracks I want to change.

What you could do is select all tracks, change the output, now select the reference track and "fix" that one. Easiest way I know.

Thanks for taking the time to think this through with me, facej. Given that Logic can’t do this natively, I just purchased a plugin called Sample Magic AB (Version 2) that claims to do exactly what I want (i.e. not switching outputs but still allowing easy reference). Haven’t tried it yet, but YouTube reviews of it make it look promising. Cheers!