Smart-tempo for free-time classical piano. Ideas?

AndyS

Question principally (but not strictly) for classical musicians.

About to embark on recording an intricate, experimental/classical piano piece just under 10 minutes long, composed for piano and chamber-orchestra.

I'll record midi and audio simultaneously: audio in the hope that I get a 'perfect' 10min take, and midi in the sure knowledge that I won't. Psychologically, that only seems to happen before I press 'record'. :roll:

My plan is to bounce the midi to audio, strip the tempo info, and reanalyse - and pray.

From past experience I know I'll be asking too much of Smart Tempo, since the piece alternates radically between fixed and free time (with sections of rallentando), as well as signature changes. The fixed timed sections will undoubtably be easy enough for Smart Tempo to manage, but the rest is 'pot luck' / throw a dart.

Has anyone else had a similarly taxing task and found a sure-fire way to accommodate such a task? (I'm not talking about a quick 5 second 'excursion').

Thanks!

Do you intend to record audio and MIDI of the same piano performance simultaneously?

If so, could you explain the rationale for same? Considering that a MIDI performance could be edited to virtually perfection?

Using Smart Tempo analysis on small chunks usually yield better results. Especially if you split the regions at time signature changes.

Proceeding that way, you could record section per section, while the project tempo is in Adapt mode...

BTW, to alleviate the red record stress during performing, have you tried the capture recording?

Hi Atlas. Thanks for the response fella.

The 'simultaneous' line was my sense of humour... clue's in the eye-roll ,-)

Yes, I agree, in a perfect world small chunks would be the way to go. As stated, some parts are in fixed timing – fortunately including the intro – so present no problem. However, for this particular one it's not a simple case of setting up a signature template and playing within it's confines, The piece is very free time in the loose sections, and less loose in the fixed sections (rather like an experienced drummer pushes and pulls against a beat).

You're right, I could break the midi down into infinte chunks and jig-saw it into place, but it will almost certainly lose any integral flow that way. Another problem is the scarcity of silent beats where I could usefully drop in... it's in a very homogeonous 'concerto' style.

Guess I was interested in seeing how far Smart Tempo could be pushed outside the confines of defined 4/4 pop song requirements! To be honest, I'm not really expecting a solution, apart from hiring a better pianist to play it, or buy some Jack Daniels and dig in for a week – one of the takes will be passable, I'm sure. At 10 minutes per take, 6 takes an hour, I might need two bottles! :mrgreen:

I've never tried capture record (in fact I removed it from the transport to make space). I shall indeed give it a go, though, thanks! :D

Actually, I meant recording in one go, and then split the take into sections according to the change of feel between the sections (changes you call free vs fix styles). Repeating different takes, collate the best parts (sections) "à la comp". Finally Smart Tempo analyzing the sections (you wish to keep), section per section, setting the time signature of each section prior triggering the ST analysis. Ensuring that the first note of each section falls on the (down)beat should help yielding more reliable analysis results.

Avoid Jack Daniels when comes the editing part. However, Captain Morgan may prove being friendly during free style recording. :wink:

I think you're right, Atlas – that will indeed be the best (possibly only?) way to proceed. At least it keeps the integrity of the piece, hopefully allowing me keep any quantising to a bare minimum – if I get to the bottom of the bottle (and stay there), I probably won't even notice! ,-)