"Point" to already downloaded Logic Sound Library on an external hard drive

plint merrick

I re-located my sound library from my laptops disc to an external hard drive. That was smooth and seamless and i used Logic that way for a while.

Recently I re-organized the drive that my Logic Sound Library is on and now Logic can't find the Sound Library. I want to "point" Logic to the new location on my external hard drive so that I don't have to download everything all over again but I'm unable to figure out how to do that.

I did re-download the essentials so that I could continue working on a project and I moved that to my ext. drive. But as soon as I move that folder somewhere new in the ext. drive Logic can't find it. I've been able to move the sound library folder in the past without it being affected so there must be something I'm not understanding.

So my questions are:

- Can you just "point" logic to the sound library if you know you have it?

- Once you do download and re-locate the sound library how do you move it and maintain Logics ability to find it?

• 2 months later...
So I understand why you wouldn't move the Sound Library manually...I "relocated" my library (for my desktop computer) to an external drive as directed by Logic Pro Support in the Apple website. I would also like to use this same Library for my MacBook Pro. So the question about "pointing" to the external drive is the question I have. It would seem redundant and frustrating to have to "relocate" another library for laptop use. Is there a simple solution?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I've encountered this problem myself and there is an easy workaround.

Thanks Helment, Just tried your solution above and it works! :D

That might possibly be the best first post ever here! Should the solution above become a "Sticky"?

Here is a short version of what your instructions accomplish.

First rename and hide the large logic sound "Library" folder on your external drive.

On your 2nd computer let logic download a tiny chunk of the "Library" to your system drive,

then tell Logic to move it to your external drive, quit Logic and replace tiny "Library" with your large one.

I also tried the inevitable - opening Logic without the external drive connected.

You will get a "... Library could not be found" message with 3 options. Just don't press the 'Reset' option unless you want to reset where logic is looking for its Library (back to the default location).

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

It worked for me as well, I have access to my Library, but funny enough, when I go to the Library Manager, it still thinks that I need to download all my libraries and mark them all as "not installed" !!?? (My Logic is in French so I don't know exactly how it is flagged in English ("not installed" or "not downloaded", but you see my point!)!

So did you manage to make it see that the libraries were installed or you see the same behaviour in Library Manager ??

Thanks

Good point madk0w, same behavior here.

I just checked on my laptop that had only downloaded the "Essential sound and instruments". In the Library Manager it still shows that only that portion is installed. Yet the entire content is working on this laptop. This laptop possibly never stored "receipts", acknowledging that it had downloaded the packages.

Someone could try the test below to see what happens. I'm chicken to try it because everything is working so well on both macs.

Edit: Don't bother with the following test, madk0w found that it doesn't work.

• Check box one of the "uninstalled" library packages and click Install. Logic might then see that this library package is actually installed and quickly update its status to Installed without having to download anything.

If that works then proceed to Check box all the other packages. What might possibly happen is that legitimate receipts from apple might be then be bestowed on your computer.

Pure conjecture this. Anyone volunteer to test or even remember where apple puts these "receipts"? I would test, but I have slow internet here. :)

Edit: Further notes - madk0w reports in the next post that the above does not work.

- So at this point a simple solution is to only download new content to your master "Library" external drive using only the original computer that actually downloaded the library content. On all other computers you have set up to share this drive, ignore their Library Managers.

Edited by Mark R

@Mark R

Well I tried your suggestion, and unfortunately, for me it re-downloaded the whole 17GIG of sounds !!!

I wonder which plist file of my old installation contains the "receipts... it could be easier to simply copy that file!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey guys

So i tried following the steps you provided but now when i try to relocate the sound library the drive i want the sound library on is greyed out and it says "sound library files exist here"Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 8.52.44 PM.png

Make sure you follow the entire #1 step here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=143985#p755405

Your manager shouldn't see any existing sound library files after you've successfully accomplished #1.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't think that's possible, unfortunately. :(

That's unfortunate and seems like an oversight by the LPX developers. I feel like there should be a hack...thanks for your reply, David.

It's a huge oversight especially if you've got multiple people working at the same location, all using Logic, and they ALL need their own individual sound libraries -- what a colossal waste of storage space. Honestly, they should just move the whole thing to iCloud. I don't see any downsides to that unless you're air gapped. It would probably save Apple bandwidth in the long run, people wouldn't need to download stuff over and over again and they would only download what they actually need to use at any given time.

I wanted to do something similar and for me the easiest and most flexible way is just using symlynks…

1) Close logic;

2) Locate what you want to move in the finder and move it to the new location. For example I just moved the EXS Factory Samples 10GB folder in /Library/Application Support/Logic/ to another HD;

3) In the terminal write

ln -s /drop\ here/the\ moved/folder "/path to the original location".

As always in the terminal you either put the path into "quotes" of use backslash\ before\ each\ space.

In my case this was:

ln -s /Volumes/JackBook\ Pro/Supporto/Logic/EXS\ Factory\ Samples /Library/Application\ Support/Logic/EXS Factory\ Samples

4) Open Logic and it will work without knowing the difference from before.

With this method you can chose what to move where and actually have a library spanning multiple HDs if you want.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to helment for the excellent workaround. Does anyone know if this will work for the essential sounds?

I’d like to put a copy of logic on another partition for troubleshooting and I only need the essential sounds. Is there a way I can copy them to the new partition without downloading them again?

Many thanks to helment for the excellent workaround. Does anyone know if this will work for the essential sounds?

I’d like to put a copy of logic on another partition for troubleshooting and I only need the essential sounds. Is there a way I can copy them to the new partition without downloading them again?

Sure, see my previous post.

Sure, see my previous post.

Thanks jackoverfull. I'm not sure which sounds exactly that Logic considers 'essential'. Do they reside in a particular folder?