Is is possible to cut the sound after 5ms? (gate?)

lingtalfi

Hi, I'm having a midi hi-hat playing (played by a logic native drummer track with a producer kit, so it's on its own channel), and I like the sound of the hi-hat, but I want to gate it after a certain amount of time (for instance 5ms, or 20ms, etc...). In other words, if I would like to shorten the length of the sample(s) being triggered on that track.

So I thought I would just add some plugin to do the trick, but I couldn't find one that does that.

I've tried a noise gate, but unfortunately it apparently cut (i.e. reduce to silence) the sound based on the volume, not on the time.

I've also tried some plugins like lfo tool and volume shaper, but I couldn't configure them properly, maybe they can do this, maybe they can't, but if they can it seems not trivial.

However, I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something, as doing such a "basic" thing shouldn't be too complicated (I hope).

Does anybody know how to do that kind of thing?

So in the end I found a good solution for my use case.

I basically put a battery 4 instrument on another track, with just a hi-hat on it (the same sound as the logic drummer's hi-hat). And then within Battery 4, we have the sample length option, so I just moved one slider to get my effect.

The DrumKit doesn't offer that kind of control. There is, however, a dial on the DrumKit GUI called Dampen which pops up on the right when you click a kit piece. That is as much control you have within Drum Kit.

In your situation I would probably have bounced a hat from the Drum Kit and either adjusted the wav file in an Audio Track or loaded it into EXS24 to change the amplitude envelope.

Glad you found a solution with Battery though!