Can you "unroll" a solo?

SaxBlaCussionizer

I'm familiar with the concept of take folders and the ability to swipe and comp to make a 'take'. I'm after something a little different. I want to do an Ableton-style arrangement loop record - i.e. create a "solo" over a loop of say 16 bars, of indeterminate length. Obviously, i can record 3, 4 or more "takes" and then, cut/paste them end to end on the end of my track, but is there a simpler way?

In other words:

1. Create a 16-bar loop (for example).

2. Hit loop record, record say 10 passes.

3. Perform {insert functionality here} to essentially "unroll" what i've recorded and paste the 10 passes sequentially into my track.

It would be a big timesaver, i've been researching some videos and i don't see such functionality mentioned so far. Anybody do this? The alternative is to figure out how long you are planning to record for, set up that many loop repeats, and try and fit your "spontaneity" into your pre-planned length.

cheers,

jim.

If you don't pause your recording (you just keep recording over a loop), it all gets recorded into a single file.

So you select "take1" and you can extend the region for its full length (all takes).

So you don't even need to cut/paste them. Just flatten to Take1 and extend the region. (Or, "unroll" it, if that's what you prefer :P)

If you don't pause your recording (you just keep recording over a loop), it all gets recorded into a single file.

So you select "take1" and you can extend the region for its full length (all takes).

So you don't even need to cut/paste them. Just flatten to Take1 and extend the region. (Or, "unroll" it, if that's what you prefer :P)

I tried this and i didn't get there, i am probably missing something. So, here's what i tried:

1. Started a 16-bar loop.

2. Recorded 3 passes, takes 1-3 (48 bars total).

3. Chose take 1 (simply to pick the first one).

4. Chose "Flatten".

5. Extended the region out to 48 bars (enough to cover the three passes).

The end result is that i've got take 1 in the first 16 bars and 32 empty bars. So, i think i missed something in your explanation, can you tell me what it is?

thanks,

jim.

Hm, can you elaborate, i don't understand what you're missing. So, all 3 takes are in one region now, yes or now?

Midi or AUDIO?

That's a good point (and something i should have mentioned), this is MIDI that i'm working with. So, i guess i could see having to bounce it in place to get to audio?

But, to answer your question, yes, it's all in one region. Problem being that the other 'takes' are now hidden and if i read your suggestion and followed it correctly, stretching that region out did nothing other than make the region longer (and largely blank).

If your method is for audio only, let me know, but still, what i'm trying to do should be fairly straightforward for MIDI data as well. All the tutorials talk about flattening vs. flattening and merging in the 'take' context, with no real discussion of the kind of free-style loop improvising that i'm aiming for. Not enjoying Ableton these days....

thanks for listening!

oof, i'll have to check out for MIDI - indeed this is how it works with audio, i'm not sure about midi

I did a similar test using audio, i created a 4-bar midi loop, did four passes, chose take 1, flattened it out and stretched out the region and it worked JUST as you advertised! Sooooo, i "think" there may be a difference between how midi and audio are handled here. I was hoping that there might be a 'bounce in place' option to choose here that might bounce all the takes to another track, but that option only appears to bounce the chosen take.

If you try this, let me know if you learn anything that i've not discovered, i appreciate it if you have even a couple of minutes to play with it, but that's what i'm seeing - what i'm looking to do isn't possible for midi loop recording but your solution DOES work for audio loop recording.

cheers,

jim.