MIDI Controller

johnnytucats

Presuming you want to control more than one compressor per track, then the easiest method is to create smart controls to the compressor(s) and then you only have to map the MIDI controller once to the generic smart controls.

This gives you much easier to manage mappings on the fly, plus you can save channel presets with a chain of plugins ready mapped.

Or of course, you can also map via the MIDI Learn modes too. But this can be a little tricky if you have multiple compressors on a single track - as i think the MIDI mappings are usually direct to the plugins rather than based on focus, although there's probably methods to assign direct to each insert slot (Using the environment perhaps?). But it won't be so straight forward.

In fact, Some MIDI controllers can automap too, such as the Nektar controlllers and Mackie/MCU equipped controllers. With these the parameters appear on the devices screen and update as you bank through the inserts - they're very much focused on one plugin at a time though, so you couldn't have knob 1+2 control compressor 1 and knob 3+4 control compressor 2 etc. You would need to bank between them.

Generally i'd go for the smart control route - it's very easy to manage, and the on-screen interface really helps align with the hardware in your hands. Although you will need a MIDI control per control on each compressor.

...Do you have a controller already?

I'm guessing you have it setup as a control surface, As per their instructions?

In which case you can easily swap to Smart Controls mode - see page 6:-

http://support.nektartech.com/Downloads/Impact_Guides/Using_Impact_LX_with_Logic.pdf

From there you can link any smart control to any plugin parameter on each track and you may find it more achievable, as at least you get an on-screen reference as to what you're controlling.

This video covers the basics to map controls:-

As the Nektar will be premapped to control them, you only need to pick what parameters on which plugin they control.

Thanks.

I guess it's not possible for the Smart Controls to be that flexible. This keyboard has 8 knobs and it'd be great if I could assign them to multiple different plugins and they only work in each plugin when that plugin window is active...independent of where they are on a channel strip and/or what track is selected.