Any recs for creating lush string arrangements?

oxband

I'm using studio strings to try and create some arrangements. It's new to me so I'm doing the usual trial and error of learning a new instrument.

That said....any tips or advice folks have about this? I'm a Studio Strings noob. I bet someone here knows a tip or two that's golden.

Thanks in advance.....

Couple of thoughts – first, what sort of sound are you looking for? :idea: Is there any existing recording about which you could say, "like that?"

Also – when you add any library sound to your project, take a look at the Mixer before and then after you add it. You might see that many new strips have been added, with new "bus sends" between them, in order to actually create that fantastic, professionally-designed sound. Well, you can now "twiddle with" all that to your heart's content, and you can learn a lot by doing so. (It's okay: you can't affect the original library entry, and you can make new custom library entries of your own.)

For instance, notice that each strip has several stages – I don't know the proper word for it – which you can "toggle on and off" just by clicking them. All of them have settings which are available by clicking on the button's icon. The effect on the sound is instantaneous. So, you can immediately see what it does and why it's there, and just what happens "when you push that button or turn that knob." Trial-and-error is a very good thing: you can learn a lot just by goofing around! And, you can't permanently screw anything up! :)

Now, having de-constructed a patch to see how the tricks in it were done, you can apply these exact same tricks anywhere else in your project. If you like what Library-Sound-A is doing, and now that you see how it's doing it, you can now apply that discovery elsewhere. So, Library entries are both "something that you can freely change," and "mini-lessons from anonymous professional sound-designers."

(Logic provides a built-in "notepad" for each project if your memory is by now as faulty as ... uhh, where was I going with that? ;) If you do customize something, take detailed notes at the time.)

P.S.: You can also download complete projects, from here and elsewhere – as well as the "demo project" that comes with Logic – and de-construct them. Take them apart to see what makes them tick.