Preparing a Project For Mixing

Warrior

A lot of the projects I work with use many VI's. I typically mix some during production to get an idea of what the project is going to sound like.

I want to start the mixing process from a clean slate so I'm planning to bounce each VI track with any unnecessary reverb, delay, compression, EQ bypassed and then mix the project.

I'm not sure what that process should look like, to be honest.

Should I zero out all VI track faders to make sure I get a strong signal on the bounced track?

Is there a process you can recommend?

By "VI" you mean virtual instrument?

"I'm planning to bounce each VI track"
Get use to the export function, which let you kind of "bounce" each (selected) track of your project in one go.

"...with any unnecessary reverb, delay, compression, EQ bypassed and then mix the project.

I'm not sure what that process should look like, to be honest."

If you like to start from zero, ok.

When preparing files for mixing (to another person), I export the files in a way, the session sounds exactly like mine after importing my files, no matter which DAW will be used for mixing. That means, I use the Gain Plugin instead of volume automation, I create tracks of each aux channel ... .

From here the next production step can be done. This is much faster than starting from zero, but there is no right and wrong.

Should I zero out all VI track faders to make sure I get a strong signal on the bounced track?
I don't care about a "strong signal on the bounced track" in the digital world, I rather care about efficiency. (see above)

• 11 months later...