Creating a loop slice player using the Step Sequencer

Danny Wyatt

Now with 10.5 you can quickly create a loop slice player (similar to the Initial Slice plugin) using Logic's stock plugins and features (Quick Sampler and Step Sequencer).

Here's how:

Quick Sampler

1 - Grab a loop (if the tempo is not in sync with your project, time-stretch/compress it. I use Loopcloud for better quality time-stretch/compression, but you can try the Flex option - step 3 - sometimes you can get good results as well)

2 - Import to Quick Sampler using the Original option

3 - If the loop isn’t matching the project’s tempo, activate Flex and then enable Follow Tempo. Depending on the loop and on the project’s tempo, you may need to adjust the Speed (from 1 to 1/2 or 2. Experiment)

4 - Change the Mode to Beat Divisions

5 - Division: select the number of slices you want to have. To fit the grid, use 4, 2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc (it depends on what you are trying to achieve and if the song is 4/4, 3/4, etc. Experiment. Maybe using a different division will bring interesting results as well)

6 - Make sure that Gate and Play to End are disabled

7 - Go to the Amp section and change the Polyphony to Mono. This allows you to play one loop slice and when you pick a new one, the previous slice stops, avoiding overlapping sounds.

8 - If you hear pops and clicks, change the Snap to Zero Crossing and then adjust each marker to fall into a zero crossing part of the slice

Step Sequencer

9 - Create a Pattern Region and add all the rows for each slice. You can quickly do this by using the Learn mode

10 - Once you’ve done that, you can start adding steps to trigger each slice.

11 - To make the process faster, you can save different templates inside the Step Sequencer for loops with 2 slices, 4 slices, 8 slices, etc. They will all start on C1 and then up one semi tone at a time. You can download 3 of my templates below and save them to ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Step Sequencer Settings/Templates

12 - Adjust the pattern’s length and rate to taste

I hope this is useful to some of you. Let me know what you think, any suggestions, etc ;)

Templates:

Danny Wyatt - Loop Slice Templates.zip