Saving backup versions of your song as you go along

Ashermusic

As we know Logic automatically creates backups, and you determine the number, when closing a song. But the dirty little secret is that sometimes if when you close the song it somehow gets corrupted sometimes the backups do also and you can lose work you spent a long time on.

So here is what I do. If I am working on a cue or a song i.e let'c call it "Nonsense" and I have done a substantial amount of work on it and saved it I then resave it as "Nonsense 2", do some more work, save as "Nonsense 3", etc. This way if something goes wrong I only lose a smaller amount of work.

The other advantage is that if somethings I have done cannot be undone and I wish to return to where it was at an earlier stage I have that option. It is not unusal for me to end up with 10-15 vesions. After all, it is only disk space :)

This work habit has saved my butt innumerable times and I highly recommend it.

Of course, at the end of the session I back up all the versions onto another drive or CD.

This is a good idea but here's my version of it...

Title - 1.x (First writing stages or idea)

Title - 2.x (A solid tune that is written and here is the meat of production)

Title - 3.x (Arrangement essentially done and starting vocals)

Title - 4.x (Vocals done and all tracks bounced to audio)

Title - 5.x (Mixing)

Title - Mix (Final mix complete and ready for archive/recall)

This way you can save the all versions or just LAST version of each stage if you want. May seem anal but it's an easy way to keep track of where you are and really takes no time out of my day.

Have fun...

• 10 months later...

I want to stress out how important that workflow process is. It has saved me as well, especially on larger projects that have more chances to end up corrupted at some point. (Thanks, Jay, for that tip!)

I usually do a 'save as' every 15-20mn. I end up with easily 15 to 25 versions of each project I work in. Usually, about twice a day, I also copy the whole project folder with all the backups to a firewire drive.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, thanks for the posts.

I just recently bought a second firewire hard drive to "backup" everything I've done, and I would like to backup daily work after my initial copying over of my project folders. This might seem like a silly question, but what is the correct way to:

1. for the first time copy my session folder over to the new drive, effectively backing up all my different songs and sessions?

2. each day add to that new existing backup (on the newer drive) the work that I've done new for the day?

(Honestly, question 2 is the real question, because I believe I just drag and drop my project folder over for my first backup.)

My new drive is a firewire 800 drive linked to the 800 slot on my recording external drive. They are chained and both of them are visible on my desktop.

Just drag and drop? Any better formulas out there? I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly... thanks for the feedback.

-Tom in Atlanta

Common sense. Though.. it might be that this version handling procedure has been very near me all my life since i've programming background. In addition to version handling procedure i'm running 1TB 1:1 Backup of my system.

@colossicktom

You "can" use 3rd party software or Time Machine for that. No need to do that manually. Well, you CAN do that manually if you like :wink:.

Yeah, lot's of Command+S here (though, knock on wood, my MBP+LP8 has been frighteningly stable), and Date_SongNameAbbreviation_VersionNumber_Stage in the end/beginning of the day, so going back to an earlier stage is possible, and easy because of the descriptions. In the attached picture of a project folder you'll see a folder called 1234 where I drop the earlier versions to avoid clutter, and Misc Files where I have possible extra files like midi files to be imported, Melodyne files, screengrabs etc

1:1 copy of the project harddrive scheduled every day (using Carbon Copy Cloner) and the system and others less important files with Time Machine from time to time, I don't have it on all the time. All this has saved my ass a couple crucial times.

266859692_Kuva1.jpg.af44d44060e5fb72819569c0e674d85f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I have been backing up using the standard Time Machine. Is this sufficient for Logic Back Ups and in the event of a system failure would Time Machine contain all the necessary Logic Files? Thanks.

Time Machine won't do incremental backups as discussed here. This is something you have to do manually.

But if I save incremental backups during the course of the day (to my macbook hard drive) and then run time machine, doesn't time machine back up everything that has changed since it last backed up (which would include those incremental backups)?

does making so many "save-as" backups take up a lot of space? I was looking at a project file and it is usually between <1 mb - 3mb. are they just reference files to the original edits? Like in garageband when you save a project as say" song 1" and you have a full arrangement (drums guitar singing w/e) the project files is like 400 mb or whatever the amount of stuff you have in it.

so i'm guessing doing save as a hundred times just references the audio files and that's why its so small?

i guess i'm asking : does it take up a lot of space if you do incremental back ups?

so i'm guessing doing save as a hundred times just references the audio files and that's why its so small?

Correct.

i guess i'm asking : does it take up a lot of space if you do incremental back ups?

No. The space it takes is the sum of the space each individual backup takes. So it varies by project, but it's never real big compared with audio files, samples, libraries, etc... definitely worth the space it's taking.

• 2 months later...

well, I consider using "save a copy" which in my mind is like "freeze this" and then i resume work on my current file name.

I also try to do that whenever i "like" or want to preserve a certain phase of my work e.g. OK, got one mix roughly ok, i'l save a copy, then l keep tweaking but i can always get back to that version, and i'll call it like "my song, mix var1" or whatever descriptive name.

I'll use timemachine to take snapshots e.g. record my work as it progresses.

what do you think of that? is it effective ?

well, I consider using "save a copy" which in my mind is like "freeze this" and then i resume work on my current file name.

I also try to do that whenever i "like" or want to preserve a certain phase of my work e.g. OK, got one mix roughly ok, i'l save a copy, then l keep tweaking but i can always get back to that version, and i'll call it like "my song, mix var1" or whatever descriptive name.

I'll use timemachine to take snapshots e.g. record my work as it progresses.

what do you think of that? is it effective ?

It's pretty much the same workflow as we're discussing here, except that you're not working on the latest copy you saved but on the original one you started working on. I personally don't like it.

With the workflow described here, you can use File > Revert to Saved to easily go back to the last version you saved, and you can also easily update (save) the last version until you feel like you should move on to a new one. For those reasons, I like that workflow better.

But really, when discussing workflows, whatever works for you!

• 6 months later...

Thanks to everyone for stressing the importance of creating a backup regime.

Your posts have inspired me to get a second Glyph hard drive.

Question: could someone please outline how to backup a Logic Pro 9 projects file

with audio, plugins and midi to a DVD. Thank you in advance!

Question: could someone please outline how to backup a Logic Pro 9 projects file

with audio, plugins and midi to a DVD. Thank you in advance!

Make sure your project is self contained: you can choose File > Project > Consolidate for that. Then save and close the project, and in the Finder, drag the whole project folder onto your DVD. Then burn the DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that (going into month 3 in my new Logic World) I'm finally starting to record "serious" tracks, involving other musicians, I'm at that point where backing up and having "fail safe" files is important.

It is a bit wacky but, as David pointed out, I've figured out a system that works for me as far as NAMING PROTOCALS go. But one thing that is unclear to me after reading this thread is this:

Doing a SAVE AS back into the same project folder just saves the ".logic" file, but leaves the AUDIO files the same. And if I, say, delete an actual audio file... do some more work. Do some SAVE AS's (?) Go to bed. Get up next day and realize "DAMN, I needed that audio file!" and go back to that version of the ".logic" file - that audio file is still TOAST. Is this correct what I'm saying?

In other words, a SAVE AS is only a TOTAL SAVE AS if you save it into a new hard drive location, thus creating a FULL back up of AUDIO files folder and FADE folder etc. (which, will of course, take up much more drive space but will totally cover thy arse.)

So please check my thinking here and let me know if I have it right.

Thanks!

-Reinier

P.S. I know... some of you are thinking "aw shaddup, ReinMan... it's only ACCORDION tracks :roll: " - but I'll have you know sometimes i record BAGPIPES too! :P

Doing a SAVE AS back into the same project folder just saves the ".logic" file, but leaves the AUDIO files the same. And if I, say, delete an actual audio file... do some more work. Do some SAVE AS's (?) Go to bed. Get up next day and realize "DAMN, I needed that audio file!" and go back to that version of the ".logic" file - that audio file is still TOAST. Is this correct what I'm saying?

Yes, correct.

In other words, a SAVE AS is only a TOTAL SAVE AS if you save it into a new hard drive location, thus creating a FULL back up of AUDIO files folder and FADE folder etc. (which, will of course, take up much more drive space but will totally cover thy arse.)

Yes, although it doesn't have to be a new hard drive location.

You got it right. This backup regimen right here is about the project file, its potential to become corrupted, or artistic decisions getting ... "too far". But if you do any kind of destructive editing on an audio file, i.e. in the sample editor, or simply deleting an audio file - those changes will ripple through all your project files.

You must always keep that in mind when doing any kind of destructive audio editing or deleting any audio files.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I've been rethinking my work flow as well.

I usually use "save as" with incremental file names: "song name 1.x, 2.x etc."

But i've found that when copying the version I am happy with to another machine through a USB drive, I often end up with missing audio tracks !? When I open the project on the other machine it does not find some of them.

What is the difference between using "save as" and "save as copy"?

Yes, correct.

Yes, although it doesn't have to be a new hard drive location.

You got it right. This backup regimen right here is about the project file, its potential to become corrupted, or artistic decisions getting ... "too far". But if you do any kind of destructive editing on an audio file, i.e. in the sample editor, or simply deleting an audio file - those changes will ripple through all your project files.

You must always keep that in mind when doing any kind of destructive audio editing or deleting any audio files.

OK I'm glad I just re-read that. So I guess the best thing to do during a recording session is to use "save as" for different takes, additions etc., and use "save as copy" OR "Save as" in a different drive to have a full project folder that can be opened on another machine.

• 6 years later...
When I'm working on a song.. I sometimes, export each midi file seperately.. Cause, sometimes I modify the song so much I want to back to an earlier midi piano part.. Put a CC event on measure 1, beat 1.. Cause Midi's will save at the first event it encounters. So if you don't play a midi track to chorus 2, your midi file is going to be short.. I name my midi regions carefully.. Albino_Pads_angel voices_24.3 (measure and beat).. sometines I put the measure and beat in the name.. and don't bother with an event at the very beginning of song..

• 7 months later...
What's the consensus here saving songs as 'packages' or 'folders'.. My understanding is 'packages' saves all audio files. so each save takes a lot of space..  Where with folders you can just 'refer' to the audio or bounces folder.  I save as folders, every couple of changes, or even every change, if I'm doing something major..  At a few points I save the whole project to another drive, just in case..  Logic appears to be the stablest I've ever seen it..  But invariably, if I've been working on a project for a couple of weeks.. with a ton of tracks..  errors will creep in, and I'll have to go to a previous version, to resurrect song again..