Looking for MIDI controller

I am a newbie. I am using Logic Pro 8.0.0 on an iMac running iOS 10.6. (Total cost $55) Now I need a keyboard controller so I don't have to use the computer keyboard to access the synths. 

I keep looking on Craigslist and Ebay and see lots of keyboard controllers from M-Audio, Axiom, Oxygen, Keystation, Akai, Alesis, Yamaha KX61, etc. Prices from $20 on up. Since I am running a legacy system on the cheap, I can't get any kind of idea what cheap midi keyboard will work with my system. I guess most will work at a level of basic functionality of inputting notes, but maybe some will works the transport controls and other controls. 

I hoping for 25 keys or 49, maybe even 61, but maybe the fewer keys the better. Anyone have any advice as to what cheap used midi keyboards out there will work well with my system? Any input is most welcome!

Hi,

My advice would be to visit the support pages of the keyboards that interest you. Check whether they require a dedicated driver to work or work with OSX's own USB-MIDI driver (which would make your keyboard "class-compliant"). The Class-compliant ones will most likely work without problems, and for the ones that require a driver you just need to check whether a driver for OS 10.6.x (not iOS! that's for iPhones and iPads) is available for download.

Good luck,

J.

I am a newbie. I am using Logic Pro 8.0.0 on an iMac running iOS 10.6. (Total cost $55) Now I need a keyboard controller so I don't have to use the computer keyboard to access the synths. 

I keep looking on Craigslist and Ebay and see lots of keyboard controllers from M-Audio, Axiom, Oxygen, Keystation, Akai, Alesis, Yamaha KX61, etc. Prices from $20 on up. Since I am running a legacy system on the cheap, I can't get any kind of idea what cheap midi keyboard will work with my system. I guess most will work at a level of basic functionality of inputting notes, but maybe some will works the transport controls and other controls. 

I hoping for 25 keys or 49, maybe even 61, but maybe the fewer keys the better. Anyone have any advice as to what cheap used midi keyboards out there will work well with my system? Any input is most welcome!

I found a roland a-300 for $30 on EvilBay.  2 1/2 octave keyboard, 6 pads, 9 faders, 9 rotary knobs, transport buttons, pitch and mod joystick.  Works fine with LPX.  They're out there.  Keep looking.

I have a ‘Carbon 49’ and for an “on the cheap” @ $99.99, it does all that you need to get rolling.

At Sweetwater, no shipping & no tax.

It’s just 49 velocity-sensitive keys (semi-weighted), Pitchbend & ModWheel, but can send CC’s too.

MIDI Out, sustain pedal input and USB connections, no drivers needed.

It Ships with Native Instrument's Komplete Elements software, Native Instruments ‘Player’ and a bunch of free very usable Instrument Samples (CD).

It’s only 30 inches long and (the sustain Foot Switch Pedal is an extra, but you should have one) and for the price it does a lot.

Samson Carbon 49 Keyboard Controller | Sweetwater