Assign MIDI controllers

David Nahmani

[ Update 08/19/2016 : Make sure you check out my new article on how to Assign MIDI Controller Knobs to Plug-in Parameters using Smart Controls in Logic Pro X. ]

Logic Pro makes it very easy to use your MIDI controller's wheels and knobs to control mixer and plug-in parameters. Here's how to assign knobs to parameters:

1• Press Command+L*

(L as in Learn) - The Controller Assignment window opens. Move that window out of the way: leave it open, but don't even worry about what's in that window.

2• In Logic, click the fader or knob you want to control.

3• On your MIDI controller, move the knob you want to assign to that control.

You can repeat steps 2 and 3 for as many knobs as you want.

4• Close the Controller Assignment window

You're done.

* If Command+L is not assigned you can assign it (or any other key combination) yourself in your key command window (Logic Pro > Preferences > Key Commands): search for the key command "Learn new Controller Assignment".

Edited by David Nahmani

Hi David,

I wish it were as simple as the way you've outlined it above, as that would be exactly what I want Logic to be doing. For me this is what is happening. First, no key command is assigned to Command + L, could you please tell me what the actual function is called in the Key Command window. Should Command + L be opening the Automation window in Preferences, when I type in Automation I'm inundated with options, i"m just hoping you can shed some light on what the literal wording in the Logic Key Commands section is that you would have us assign Command + L to.

Second, BIG problem that I and a few others at least have made note of (and I've sent Logic feedback on this already to no avail so far). I"m in Logic 7.1 Pro bye the way, and when I click Learn, then move the knob I'd like to assign to a contoller on my Radium 61, as soon as I've moved the controller, Logic says that the know has been Learned however, all midi in/out from my radium 61 ceases to function. Learning in the ES2 withing the plugin's face works no problem and doesn't have this effect but whenever i"m trying to use Quick Access Learning this occurs, rendering the option of assigning any knob to a CC totally unuable. Any ideas? Have you encountered this yourself? Thanks in Advance,

Graham

i"m just hoping you can shed some light on what the literal wording in the Logic Key Commands section is that you would have us assign Command + L to.

That's in the original posting. Read the red * at the bottom.

Then follow exactly what I suggest in the guide and it will work. Automation Quick Access is a different feature that depends on what Track is selected in your Arrange window.

Make sure you don't forget step (4).

Thanks for the reply but my problem starts with the fact that nothing was assigned by default to Command + L so I need to know what the exact name of the key command is that I should be assigning this to before I can do anything else...I'm unsure what the Controller Assignment window looks like is the thing. thanks in advance,

graham

Ok, I just got it all sorted out David, thank you so much for you patience, this is an amazing way of working with parameters it's like Logic has just been reborn to me!!! I think you'll be getting all my days points for this one :wink: , cheers,

Graham

PS - I'm been meaning to tell the design of this sight is totally slick, good on you!

Thanks, this place is a goldmine.

I've struggled with external MIDI control for a long time now.

I'm eager to try if this in some way can solve my problem with the disappearing Tap Tempo command.

To quote Arnold:

I'll be back!

Tommy

But alas, it was not to be. Your way of assigning MIDI-controllers is excellent, but...

The problem remains, after a short while, maybe a few minutes the assigned controller stops working. There is no indication of data from the controller in the transport bar although other MIDI-events from the same keyboard are displayed. A MIDI-monitor (in Logic´s environment) doesn't see the controller anymore. I know from earlier experiments that the MIDI-events reach the Mac (MIDIMonitor from www.snoize.com) If I disable the controller, by deleting it in the Controller Assignments window, it reappears in the MIDI-monitor and in the Transport bar. Go figure.

Tommy D

This will not help anyone, but I would like to add that I've had a heck of a time with MIDI controls in the latest versions of Logic. Even simple transport controls have locked up and crashed Logic.

Side note. I wonder if there are any plans of continuing Emagic's hardware division to include software instrument controllers?

Side note. I wonder if there are any plans of continuing Emagic's hardware division to include software instrument controllers?

I don't think so, it seems like Emagic was totally bought by Apple. But I wouldn't be surprised if Apple ends up releasing some hardware, like MIDI / Audio interface, control surface.... let's keep our eyes peeled!

This is indeed a killer way of working with automation if it wasn't for the following in my situation.

Whenever I move my physical controller assignet to whatever parameter the movement of my controller doesn't always come through in logic. It behaves very irregular when I move my controller slowly.

I did learn logic the entire travel of my controller but on many occasions the parameter stalls at some point. Suppose I move my controller from 7 o'cl to 5 o'cl clockwise the parameter stalls at 1 o'cl... but that point is always different and seems to be influenced by the speed of moving my controller. I've tried different controllers too. Faders from my mpc 4000 or modwheel on my andromeda. Weird!!

Any suggestions?

Running 7.1 btw.

Hi David,

I've found the culprit however not very logical B-)

At first it didn't occur to me that I needed venturing into the control surfaces prefpane since I'm not using a Logic Control. Different terminology I guess but that a little ot.

It seemed that turning off 'Pickup Mode' solved my issue, not sure what the initial problem is but it's clear to me now that every now and then some midi data is lost. Since Logic doesn't have anything to 'Pick Up' then and goes numb. It's the most obvious explanation.

Although the problem is worked around I'm left with a dilemma. If I had the choice, Pickup Mode on would be the way to go (default) but I need to get those lost bytes back some way. Bandwidth isn't an issue so it seems....Aaargh!

Bandwidth could be the reason why you're losing data. Have you tried adjusting the settings? There's only so much data that can fit onto a MIDI cable, so if you cram too much info at once (by turning several knobs at once for example), some info is going to have to go. Reducing the bandwidth can help.

• 4 weeks later...

I am able to MIDI map my Evolution UC-33's knobs, sliders and buttons to Logic and Logic supports my M-Audio Oxygen8 Controller, but Logic doesn't support my M-Audio Ozonic Audio/MIDI Interface.

Logic also won't MIDI Learn from my Nord Lead (via MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI).

On both the Ozonic and the Nord Lead, when I have "Learn Assignment" ON, it registers as LEARNED when I touch a controller (knob or slider) on either keyboard, but after I turn off "Learn Assignment", it doesn't do anything.

I know how to do it and like I said, it works on some MIDI Controllers and not others.

I tried turning off "Pickup Mode" (like Vankarius said) and that didn't seem to change anything so I put it back ON to be safe.

Any advice?

Hmmm... that's weird, since MIDI is MIDI is MIDI. Logic doesn't even know what hardware it comes from, and doesn't care, really. It's just like a standard order: CC#7 = 68. Now CC#7 = 69... and so on.

However, the assignement don't always work. I found that you have to manually switch some settings to make them work for master or outputs channel. Is that possible that that's what you were trying to do when using the "unsupported" devices?

About your first question:

I was trying to assign CC's to various parameters, but it was to basic things like EXS-24's Cutoff & Rez or the ES-2's Cutoffs & Rez's.

Like I said, my Oxygen8 (connected via USB) worked fine and the Evolution UC33 (knob & fader box - also USB) worked fine. The Oxygen8 has a MIDI Driver installed, but the UC33 is Class Compliant, requiring NO driver.

As for connecting the Ozonic to MIDI instead of thru FireWire.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't do that (wouldn't want to) since it's being used as my Audio Interface as well. If I could afford to buy a MOTU PCI-424 to use my 2408 w/ the G5, I would much rather use IT! The Ozonic is an inferior Audio interface (doesn't even have balanced Ins).

But either way, I don't think it'll make much difference since I'm having the same prob with my Nord Lead which is connected (via MOTU Fastlane USB) to MIDI. The Nord's knobs are transmitting MIDI just like they have for the last 10 years I've been using it.

No settings have changed on it since it was working fine in Logic Pro 6 in Automation Quick Access.

Now in Logic 7, I can't get Automation Quick Access to work with the Nord thru MIDI. Just like in the MIDI Learn Assignments, I'll move a knob (either on Nord or Ozonic) and it instantly responds that it's learned. If I'm in MIDI Learn's expert view, it will show the proper CC# and additional SysEx, so I know it's recognizing the proper CC, as are the Nord and Ozonic transmitting the proper CC messages.

Another thing to consider is that both units work (as is - perfectly) with all other apps' MIDI Learn features.

Weird, huh?

As for connecting the Ozonic to MIDI instead of thru FireWire.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't do that (wouldn't want to) since it's being used as my Audio Interface as well. If I could afford to buy a MOTU PCI-424 to use my 2408 w/ the G5, I would much rather use IT! The Ozonic is an inferior Audio interface (doesn't even have balanced Ins).

I meant to try it as a troubleshooting method. That way you bypass the drivers... if you have a free MIDI Port on one of your interfaces, try it.

Automationn Quick Access: it works fine with other devices, but not with the Nord?

> Automationn Quick Access: it works fine with other devices,

> but not with the Nord?

Yeah, the Nord and Ozonic both don't work w/ either Automation Quick Access or MIDI Learn. It's the same for both of 'em.

I'm not going to be able to connect my Ozonic via MIDI because I don't have the Power Supply (it's on loan from M-Audio) and right now it's receiving its power from the FireWire bus.

Shouldn't my Nord work thru the MOTU Fastlane just the same though?

Because I assume if the Nord isn't working through the Fastlane, then no other MIDI Controller will work through the Fastlane either.

Whaddayou think about that?

BTW: THANKS!!!

Shouldn't my Nord work thru the MOTU Fastlane just the same though?

Because I assume if the Nord isn't working through the Fastlane, then no other MIDI Controller will work through the Fastlane either.

It should. Can you please start a new thread here http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewforum.php?f=1 about that quick automation problem. We can go through it and see where the problem is. Please give details as to what steps you are taking and what exactly doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello David, thanks for your advice for my initial request. But, thats what I tried in the first place, since the manual tells you to do so, all your 4 steps work perfectly with me and it looks like everything is fine, still, the controller in the Minimoog Plugin doesnt move at all... I fondled in the expert mode, maybe I set something wrong into the prefs? I dont know, the tool and the way you discribed is like paradise, if it only would work..... :?

Hey silvercity-bob,

I figured out what was causing my problem, but I don't know if yours is the same problem... sounds like it though.

FIrst thing you should do is run "MIDI Monitor" before launching Logic. You can download it for free here:

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

So start that up before Logic and it then do the Learn Controller Assignment thing in the Control Surfaces setup window (Expert mode would be fine).

MIDI Monitor will filter out the excess MIDI data that Logic is receiving from your MIDI Controller's knobs & sliders. That excess MIDI Data is what prevents the learn from sticking.

If you look in the "Value Change" box (In Expert mode of Controller Assignments setup) to see what input is coming from your knobs while it is Learning. It should look something like this: "B0 12 Lo7". It should not look like this "B0 12 Lo7 FF 00 00" or "B0 12 Lo7 FF 4A Hi7" or anything LONGER than the first one in quotations above. Although, I've seen that with MIDI Monitor running in the background, it never learns a longer string of characters than this "B0 4A Lo7" and that is all you want.

If that doesn't help, then you are having a different problem to what I had.

-Craig