Lowering the automation of all tracks? [SOLVED]

MX582

There is a really easy way to do this: turn down the Out 1-2 (Logic 8 ) or Stereo Out (Logic 9) fader. Leave the Master fader alone.

I've always heard to never mess with the master fader but never was told why (I assumed this meant stereo bus as well- how are these different btw?)

If during the mix I get level proportions I like, but the chorus is hitting say -2db, what is the downside of turning the stereo bus down 3 db, or throwing a compressor on to make the difference in levels between sections slightly more similar. Export with transient peaks not exceeding -5db, then add some gain and more compression in the master?

Is the idea that my dynamics will be lessened? Won't they be reduced regardless once I start mastering? Have been a bit confused with this and would appreciate any tips! Thanks!

-mike

There is a really easy way to do this: turn down the Out 1-2 (Logic 8 ) or Stereo Out (Logic 9) fader. Leave the Master fader alone.

I've always heard to never mess with the master fader but never was told why (I assumed this meant stereo bus as well- how are these different btw?)

The master fader is a VCA for all your output channel strips including the Out 1-2 (a.k.a. Stereo Out). If like 99% of Logic users you work with only one pair of outputs, the Stereo Out, then adjusting the volume fader on the master or on the Stereo Out will yield the same effect. If you start using both at the same time you may very well get confused, hence the suggestion of leaving the master fader alone.

If during the mix I get level proportions I like, but the chorus is hitting say -2db, what is the downside of turning the stereo bus down 3 db, or throwing a compressor on to make the difference in levels between sections slightly more similar. Export with transient peaks not exceeding -5db, then add some gain and more compression in the master?

I can't think of any downside if that's what you want to do and it sounds good that way.

Is the idea that my dynamics will be lessened?

The way you phrase it sounds like you're a victim of what your tools are doing. You're not. Your dynamics will not be lessened unless YOU want to lessen them.

"make the difference in levels between sections slightly more similar" = "dynamics will be lessen". It seems to me like your GOAL is to lessen the dynamic. If it is, then lessen them. If it isn't, don't do it.

Won't they be reduced regardless once I start mastering?

Again, it's not the dynamics that will be reduced once you start a process. It's you who will, once you start mastering, start to lessen your dynamics if you determine that your goal is to lessen your dynamics.

I suppose I have a much more elementary question then- what is the purpose of mastering? I was under the impression that the purpose of mastering is to make your mix louder so that it can compare with radio-ready music, as well as to compress the song as whole so that people listening won’t feel compelled to raise or lower the volume of the track at any point. I suppose it depends on the genre of music? I’m thinking from more of a pop/electronic viewpoint.