Plug-ins as "regular" windows (vs floating)

David Nahmani

In Logic, insert plug-ins and instrument plug-ins appear as floating windows. While there are several advantages to that, in some cases you might prefer to deal with a regular window. That way you can for example have another normal window overlap some of the plug-in's GUI you don't need.

It's also useful if you need to go to the finder (or another application) but don't want the plug-in window to disappear (as floating windows do when you switch applications).

Last but not least, if you're a fan of Expose, then you'll like that trick. You'll finally be able to use Expose with your plug-ins and instrument windows!

In Logic Pro 7.1, to open a plug-in as a regular window, simply hold Control+Option while double-clicking it.
Edited by David Nahmani

Hi David,

Regarding sceenshots and plugin windows is it possible, for instance, to have regular plugin windows of the first 4 slots follow the current track?

This can be very handy if you have an EQ on slot 1, comp on slot 2 etc. so that when you select another track (in the arrange) that the eq and comp are updated.

Cheers mate and thanks for all those great tips'n'tricks :) 8)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi David! 

Has this feature toggling Plug-ins as "regular" windows (vs floating) been moved or is it just totally no longer available in LX 10.3? As it stands now, on my machine Control+Option while double-clicking  just toggles the header/size on the windows

Side comment: One thing I really appreciate beyond the brilliant sound of Logic's native plug-ins is the ability to resize them ~ implementation of this is weakly implemented in 3rd party plug-ins

This option is not longer valid.

The environment window can be floated and there are a couple of additional panes that can be floated too.

There are 3rd party solutions but since I don't use any I don't have one to recommend.

I remeber an app called Afloat but it often caused more grief in conjunction with Logic than running without.