Logic's slip tool, a hidden tool!

David Nahmani

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

you can do it with flex time to some extent.....as long as there is some silence on both sides of the waveform.

1) flex the track (which mode doesn't matter)

2) add a flex marker in both silent areas around the waveform......

these are your slip borders, so make sure they are far enough away to be able

to move your waveform where you want it.

everything outside of these 2 markers will be locked and safely unaffected.

3) hi-lite the waveform with your marquis tool.

4) now left click and hold above the waveform and you will see the "hand"......now drag the waveform left or right as needed.

5) don't click on anything else in the arrange window until you are satisfied with your new location. you can do other stuff

outside the window.....just don't do anything to un-hilite the marquis'd section , you can keep going back and moving it around again as long as it is still highlited...just grab it again and move it.........although you can just re-hilite it if need be.

it sounds like a lot of work .......

but once you do it a couple times it only takes about 10 seconds to set up.....

once the track has been flexed once its fast as heck.

hit the flex button.....mark your 2 borders ...marquis the waveform.....drag it where you want it......

BANG.....and Bob's your uncle.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just bumped into this old thread…

I have found 'David's' techniques sometimes works and sometimes does not in LPX. Bug?

In ProTools, it is very easy to assign a stepped quantize amount of slip in a process like this. Is it possible to do this in LPX?

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
You aren't slipping the contents of the region, you are shortening or lengthening the region. A real slip edit would not alter the region start and end points.

The only way to slip I know of is in the audio window.

Hello Brianm! I'm new on this forum and looking for knowledge can you please explain for me, how I can control shortening or lengthening?

• 4 years later...

Hey everyone,

First post here and sorry I'm reviving this thread due to my endless frustration with this kind of editing being absent.... (I remember reading this same thread yeears ago, I'm surprised it's not a more commonly requested feature).

And finally! We have slip editing in Logic Pro X 10.5!... but do we? I was so disappointed to find it's a key command and seems to only be available to adjust in very small increments. Does anybody know if my disappointment is founded here? Is there some way to drag the underlying audio file within a region with the cursor directly in the arrangement view?

Thanks for any help!

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone,

And finally! We have slip editing in Logic Pro X 10.5!... but do we? I was so disappointed to find it's a key command and seems to only be available to adjust in very small increments. Does anybody know if my disappointment is founded here? Is there some way to drag the underlying audio file within a region with the cursor directly in the arrangement view?

Thanks for any help!

There is no way to do it at present. I have posted a thread like this and was directed to here (sort of) by Site Admin Mr. Nahmani (Thank you). This is my thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150249

I was so disappointed to find it's a key command and seems to only be available to adjust in very small increments.

Not true. The slip increment relies on the Nudge value, so if you want slip to move by larger increments all you need to do is adjust the Nudge value. You can set the Nudge value up to 1/1 note if you want, which is a pretty big increment.

Is there some way to drag the underlying audio file within a region with the cursor directly in the arrangement view?

You can't drag the audio file, the feature only works with key commands.

I was so disappointed to find it's a key command and seems to only be available to adjust in very small increments.

Not true. The slip increment relies on the Nudge value, so if you want slip to move by larger increments all you need to do is adjust the Nudge value. You can set the Nudge value up to 1/1 note if you want, which is a pretty big increment.

Is there some way to drag the underlying audio file within a region with the cursor directly in the arrangement view?

You can't drag the audio file, the feature only works with key commands.

Thanks dude! Yes I've since found that out, it actually works pretty well in such large increments for scanning through the audio file. Would be neat to be able to drag, that would allow quite fine adjustments of the underlying audio file without then having to tune in different nudge values. Have submitted a request to Apple and encourage others to do the same!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...