Master Audio MIDI Setup.

Eric Cardenas

Have you ever fiddled with Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) but never got it to work the way you wanted?

I stumbled onto something a few days ago that may help one or two of you.

Master Audio MIDI Setup

1. Navigate to ~/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations.
  2. You will find at least one .mcfg file in there.
    Just a reminder that it's good practice to have a back-up of your original configuration.
    Then you'll always be able to revert to your original config, even if something goes wrong!
  3. Make a copy and open the copy in the Text Editor.
  4. You will see a lot of stuff in there but if you look closely you can actually
    distinguish different parts of the code that are in the second indent, always
    beginning with and ending with .
  5. Select a section and cut. Now navigate to a new position and paste.
  6. Save the new configuration file as something new and then chose that configuration file in AMS.
    You'll see that your selection has moved from one place to another.
  7. Now try changing the name ports in the same fashion as above. Localize the "Port 1" and "Port 2" in the Text Editor and give them different names. I recommend appending something to the name. IE Port 1 changes it's name to Port 1 {my MIDI interface}.
  8. Chose your new configuration in AMS and then launch Logic.
  9. You will now able to distinguish the different ports in Logics Physical Input (Click and Ports Layer of the environment window.)

I made a video that shows the different steps and more...

Edited by Eric Cardenas

I have not tested it thoroughly but it has worked for 1 week on my main setup.

By the way this is in OS 10.6.6 and Logic 9.1.3.

This is just like that hack for having the manuals (or whatever you like) in Logic 9's Help menu, I think the only way for this to stop working is if you delete the file or reinstall the OS, or something similar...

Going to try it right now.

PS: Laughed my ass off when you said "And the new icon is.........a reality!" :lol:

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Eric,

I totally seem to be on the wrong track here.

What is the different result between your method and:

AMS setup/midi/ doubleclick on eg IAC Driver, add the ports you need, name them, close AMS, go to Logic and find them in the C+P layer of environment ?

Thanks for an answer,

Nick

Hey Eric

I've just found this thread - this sounds quite interesting.

I'm going to check the video out & give it a go.

EDIT:

Ok, so I watched the video all the way through. learned what I had to do then just went for it, it does work & it's very cool but along the way I overwrote my default configuration file :oops:

I had to set everything up again in Audio MIDI set-up :x then I rewrote the MIDI port info using TextEdit. This is all great…unless you have already got a few Logic templates set up - I've had to go into each template & reset all the port connections for all my hardware, which got a bit boring after a while. :cry:

It's my own fault for overwriting my original config, I know :roll:

Just a quick question to finish, do you know how I would get rid of all the greyed out redundant MIDI port names in the inspector window lists?

Hello Eric,

I totally seem to be on the wrong track here.

What is the different result between your method and:

AMS setup/midi/ doubleclick on eg IAC Driver, add the ports you need, name them, close AMS, go to Logic and find them in the C+P layer of environment ?

Thanks for an answer,

Nick

The IAC driver is a different thing all together.

...but along the way I overwrote my default configuration file :oops:

I'm so sorry to hear this. :cry:

I will edit my post with a back-up notice

The good thing is that you now are able to create the exact configuration that you require. Then make a back-up of that, just to be safe, and from now on you will not have any more issues.

Just a quick question to finish, do you know how I would get rid of all the greyed out redundant MIDI port names in the inspector window lists?

I'm not really sure that I follow you.

Could you please provide a screen shot?

No need to be sorry Eric, it's my own fault for not taking my time & jumping straight in with both feet :lol:

Sure, the active ports are the top ones - the one's I can no longer use are the greyed out ones underneath.

2092098458_Screenshot2011-03-08at11_00_02.png.c4de9cb611a4bd6eae6e068db261fbab.png

I'm getting this "redundancy" after renaming my ports...looks like I get the device name plus the port name. Any ideas? Probably something simple I'm overlooking...

J.

I have the same issue so you haven't done anything wrong.

I think the external instrument behaves in right way where it first looks at your Device and then at your Port.

The problem is the Physical Input object in the environment.

If you have many MIDI devices connected it becomes just awful.

No need to be sorry Eric, it's my own fault for not taking my time & jumping straight in with both feet :lol:

Sure, the active ports are the top ones - the one's I can no longer use are the greyed out ones underneath.

I think you have to delete those from your .mcfg file BUT to be sure:

1. BACK UP

2. Try the New Configuration action in AMS drop-down menu to see if those devices are still present.

3. Use this new configuration as your starting point.

Good Luck.

I have the same issue so you haven't done anything wrong.

I think the external instrument behaves in right way where it first looks at your Device and then at your Port.

The problem is the Physical Input object in the environment.

If you have many MIDI devices connected it becomes just awful.

Ok then, not such a big deal anyway.

Agreed, what's most important is to get it nice and clear in the physical input object.

J.

I've made a new configuration as suggested & I rescanned MIDI to make sure I was working with only what I had. I'm happy to say that I now appear to be up & running - there's no duplicate instruments in the library or redundant ports in the drop down menus.

The Physical Input is much easier to read this way.

Thanks Eric 8)

1505547208_Screenshot2011-03-10at13_06_35.png.1e8852138de87014c7586fa059d69a10.png

1068856531_Screenshot2011-03-10at13_06_17.png.926f904a831243fb69cef7e7f9e76f21.png

I've made a new configuration as suggested & I rescanned MIDI to make sure I was working with only what I had. I'm happy to say that I now appear to be up & running - there's no duplicate instruments in the library or redundant ports in the drop down menus.

The Physical Input is much easier to read this way.

Thanks Eric 8)

I'm glad to hear that.

It looks a lot nicer doesn't it? ;)

• 5 months later...

I was directed here after posting my problem: http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=377520#377520

Before I attempt to make sense and follow the directions in this post, I gotta ask, will this solve my problem? The problem where Logic Midi Assignments (specifically the "Midi Input" dropdown menu) forgets that all my custom assignments should be "From MaxMSP 1" and not "Any"...

Thanks for any help. If this tip leads to a solution I am sooo happy.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Eric!

This really works! I've been bugged with these port name issues for many years, submitted several messages to the Apple (Emagic) Dev team to no avail.

One very serious problem solved is the situation with multiple devices getting mixed up from each launch - both external instruments but certainly also control surfaces.

In one setup I use 3 BCF's to form a 24ch faderbank and Logic would usually shuffle the physical order of the machines, i.e. 9-16, 1-8, 17-24..

Imagine how much this troubled me!

You are a star, Eric!

Ciao, Henrik

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi

I am having a problem with logic remembering my controller assignments.

Well the control assignments are remembered. But they just dont work when i reboot the computer. Im using a Korg Nanokontrol.

I didnt really understand this thread fully. But will this fix that problem? Do i need to reset my audio midi setup so that My NanoKontrol is always in the same place on the usb bus??Sorry, im not fully understanding this thread and how to implement this solution into my workflow.

Cheers

Jack