Screensets

Neil Parfitt

One of the most common problems I first encounter when teaching many Logic users - anywhere from pro's and

beginners alike: is that they are still using the stock layout and configuration of Logic's "Autoload".

Although it is certainly possible to write and make music this way, the underlying problem is that you get pigeon-holed

working "for" the program, instead of the program working for **you**.

Mousing and Fumbling through windows is the last thing you should ever be doing during an edit, mix or from the initial brain

storming phase of musical madness :)

Below I'm going to share some snapshots of my scoring autoload (My Music one is similar, but without the video

element). Hopefully this will spark some new ideas to put in your own and free-up more time for music making than

mousing around.

These templates are based on a 3 monitor setup, but you will see that these can be scaled down

to 2 or 1 screen in many situations.

Screenset #1 - MAIN WRITING / GENERAL EDIT

Key features:

-Master mix RT Analyzer and Scopes (always active)

-Currently selected track's Plugin instrument (updates with track selection)

-Tempo and Marker List

-Arrange Page has only tracks visible with all non-essential options/menu hidden. Timecode is present on top left, and extended

sequencer parameters are on the right.

-The tools are not needed on the left as hitting escape will bring the tools up where your mouse pointer is. Transport and video on the bottom.

-Top Mixer follows track selection at all times (purple chain on)

-Bottom Mixer is master buses and Outputs - this screen is always constant and never changes

Benefits:

Nothing takes more than 1 mouse click or keystroke *ever* - from loading an instrument, plugin setting, quick balance

adjustment etc. Using linked and unlinked windows allows you to see what you want, as you select a channel. Note that

I have 32 EXS24's ready to go along with 2 sends enabled and ready. When I'm writing, I know I'll always have verb

on a bus, and instinctively use an EXS for sounds... so why go through the trouble of manually doing it every time?

Screenset #2 - MIDI EDIT

Key features:

-Arrange on Left with all non-essential stuff hidden

-Matrix editor in the middle with Hyperdraw on

-a Large bar display for quick navigation. You can either double click to type in a measure, or click and hold to jog to a position.

-Video and Score on the right

-The Matrix and Score will instantly display whatever is selected on the arrange as they're both linked.

Benefits:

-Speed

-Easy navigation of MIDI events

Screenset #3 - Multi Output Plugins A

Key features:

-Arrange on Left with all non-essential stuff hidden

-Current Plugin in the middle with small bar and TC windows

-Quick control of all plugin outputs in a single glance on the right.

Although this does take some time to setup, I have 4 pre-assigned sets of multi-output plugins + BFD. Each group has a main

instrument channel with 7 additional stereo aux strips - configured and ready to go. All the outputs of these are then routed

to a bus (rightmost strip in each group) - giving a master balance for that plugin.

Benefits:

-Quick adjustments

-Each of the 8 sounds from stylus (etc) have full access to Logic's Plugins, EQ and automation and I can visually see up to 16 instrument strips at once in this screenset to make quick adjustments.

(I also have a more extensive one setup for BFD , but this is a good example of the process)

Screenset #4 - EARS ONLY

Key features:

-none! It's all about listening.

Benefits:

-no visual distractions

-listen to your work instead of watching your automation vectors to 'see' if it's right.

Screenset #5 - MASTER MIX TWEAK

Key features:

For me, I really like listening and making adjustments as if I wasn't sitting at a computer, so having my master EQ, compression

and a simple Peak/RMS meter does the trick here. I find having the other editors open to be a distraction and takes away from the listening.

Screenset #6 - AUDIO SPOT / DETAILED REGION EDIT

Key features:

-Marker and Audio Pool on Left

-Arrange in the Middle with Channel Strip

-Event Float active for making minute adjustments to audio placement

-Video in Arrange window corner

-Audio Sample/Region Editor on Right linked to any region selected on the arrange page.

-Master Meters always active on bottom right.

NOTE: I have a separate audio fader always assigned as a "preview" strip. The Audio Pool and sample editor are assigned to

this strip by default so you don't blast your ears out.

(Anyone who has ever tried editing a vocal clip, after forgetting about that compressor/distortion on your ch1 kick will know where

I'm coming from with this approach! Logic assigned ch1 as your default editor playback channel!!) :shock:

Benefits:

-Quick and painless drag and drop from audio pool to arrange

-detailed region editing on the fly

-event float allows detailed nudging of audio event, or spotting to timecode

So there you have it - 6 screenset ideas for 6 types of working situations that are accessible **instantly** at the touch a number

on your keyboard. I have approximately 15 screensets including these to accommodate my various multi ch. instruments and such, but

you get the idea.

The goal is - nothing is ever more than 1 keystoke or mouse click away in any situation. You will be amazed at how much time this saves :) :)

If anyone wants to see bigger pics of these, let me know.

Hope this sparks some new ideas!

Cheers,

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant, Neil!

I had worked out some screensets for my setup, but you really helped me hone in on some time-savers I think I just wasn't seeing before.

I especially like the idea of having non-distracting ones (like your 4 and 5). It's so easy to forget to just listen to the stuff sometimes.

Thanks again for sharing.

Hey Neil

that was way better than BT's key commands!!

I wish more people would post their screensets.

You definately win "post of the year"!

I only wish Logic had a way to globally modify screensets. Because it always seems that I forget to turn the link on or something like that and there's no easy way to save the tweak to your autoload once you're halfway through a session.

great stuff, thanks again

Kevin

• 6 months later...

I limit myself to really 6 screensets. I'm much less specific than Neil, but I copped his "no windows open to distract"

Here are a cool one:

My #9 (see, 8 matches the keycommand for environment, and 9 for the audio window - I'm old school that way) This is the add audio window. I get a nice view of the finder and any finder windows I need open, plus an arrange window to drag audio into.

enjoy,

John

985659114_Picture6.jpg.27491c4114fa91b7a6325120a0f3b589.jpg

#9 (see, 8 matches the keycommand for environment, and 9 for the audio window - I'm old school that way) This is the add audio window. I get a nice view of the finder and any finder windows I need open, plus an arrange window to drag audio into.

Oh my god! My stuff is so stale compared to this!

These are some very valid points.

Things that I haven't thought about - but now ......

*Plankton voice*

"I SHALL RULE THE WORLD!!"

:twisted:

This sux ... I just realized that in order to rule the world, I must first buy 2 more monitors!

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

It's funny - since L8 and L9 especially, I've used them less and less as the program becomes more 'bloated'. Logic 7 screensets flipped instantly across 3 screens, with the latest releases - it's not as fast I want them to react so it actually slows me down.

Oh well!

-Neil

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great Thread! I love the attention to detail you put into it Neil :D

So, here's my question/issue...

I know that I can save a NEW template with all of these screen sets for future ease, BUT is there a way to set up customizable screen sets *once and have them work in past sessions without having to set them up every time?

I have a lot of sessions that I am currently working in for different songs and it would be a pain in the ass to set up such complicated screen sets each time I open a new session. The only thing I can think of is to make a template with the screen sets and import all the audio and channel strip information from my old session via the browser window using the "add" button. Is there an easier way than that though? because even that requires making an entirely new session, not to mention that it doesn't import the automation data from the older session.

Thanks!

~Jonny

• 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...