A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

trebor

Thu May 29, 2008 5:30 am

trebor wrote:
i dont know if this is old news but i just discovered if you click on the floating transport while using the scrollwheel on your mouse you can zoom in/out and resize the transport bar.

Edit:click on transport window then hold down the alt key then use scroll wheel to zoom in/out

bmdaugherty

Sat May 31, 2008 4:06 am

using a trackpad is actually pretty sweet for this, especially since it already has side scroll. This is cool because if you hold option and scroll sideways it zooms at playhead and if you scroll up and down it zooms to selected region.
USE YOUR EARS. LISTEN.

Euphonix AM713/MA703 | RME HDSPe MADI | MacPro 8x2.8gHz | 10.6.Current (64-bit) | Adam S3As | Nord L2X

circus drums

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:59 am

Now to really "SURF" the Editors in Logic, simply hold Control + Shift while clicking in the background. Move the mouse up, down, left or right and... SURF! For advanced surfing, try moving both down and right, up and left... at the same time!

Not sure where I am using this. I tried it in the arrange window, as well as sample and hyper editor. I get the microfilm analogy, just not sure where to use it in logic. I tried this key combination and mouse action but can't seem to evoke the cool microfilm surfing.... I'm still learning logic so what am I missing?

UPDATE: I figured it out. I tried to come back and delete this post but couldn't figure that out now!!! How do you delete a post???
2Gig Intel mac mini, 3G RAM, 10.5.5, Logic 8.0.2, Remote 25SL Compact, Digi 002 rack

i

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 pm

trebor wrote:
i dont know if this is old news but i just discovered if you click on the floating transport while using the scrollwheel on your mouse you can zoom in/out and resize the transport bar.

:D

Thanks for the tip!

i

markman

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:22 pm

David wrote:
I don't use that tool all that much but I believe that if Apple changed it, it's probably because a lot of users requested it. However, it seems like it would be easy to add a little checkbox in your preferences, something like "Old style navigation tool (inverted)", to let all of use decide for ourselves what is better.

I'm wondering if this has ever been addressed.
Oh, I really, really, really hope it has. It is just about the only way I zoom, and so far the difference between L7 and L8 is just *killing* me. This should *really* be something that is user-definable, a la key commands. The modifier keys were slightly different in L6, i seem to remember, so it is something they keep changing.

HELP!

ripekeai

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:05 pm

I love this; was just wondering if there was a shortcut and stumbled upon this thread.

tonzilla

Sun May 31, 2009 9:05 pm

great tip. this is wicked fast zooming with my targus 360o mouse but would add, dropping a little marquee click to mark your position first helps not loose your spot when zooming in and out drastically.
Tonzilla// Logic Pro 9, intel Mini 2.6ghz, 4gb, OSX 10.6.3, RME Fireface 800, MC Mix.

trompetenick

Re: Navigating with a Scroll-wheel mouse, Surfing without!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:01 am

arifd wrote:
And if you are still click-holding with the mouse, Let go of Control and Shift and press Option to change to Zoom

Or just hold on the click and still move, this changes to "grab" the window.
You can go to control+shift again or change back to option.

This is cool.

Nick
macBook 1.83GHz 2GB ram OS10.4.11 Logic802.L910

elogical4now

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Good stuff thanks David.

This works great with the Kensington Trackball

route-electrique

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Wow, thanks David!. Few months ago i replaced my Mighty mouse with this;

Haven been very happy with it!. Can't wait to try those shortcuts out!
♫ Mac Pro 8-Core Early 2008 | OSX 10.9 | 16GB | Logic Pro 10.0.4 | Studio One Pro v2.6 | RME | Klein & Hummel O300 | Avalon AD2055 | Eventide Eclipse | Chandler Germanium Pair | Roland Juno-60 | Korg MonoPoly | ♫

Frobog

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Woah...first of all, let me say this fixes one of my primary gripes about Logic :).

Second...and this seems to be Mac-dependent 'cause it works in Firefox as well...Ctrl+scroll is amazing!!! Never thought to even try it until now...ha!
Logic Pro 8
G5, Dual 1.8 Ghz
4 Gb Ram
M-Audio Profire 2626
Ala-freakin-bama.

mrdero

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:54 am

Hello all!

i couldnt properly figure out, if that question was in some way answered already. so, i am sorry for possible repetition :) it´s just really important for me. .

i am using the mighty mouse and scrolling up and down, left and right in the arrangement window is essential for me. especially the zooming key command "alt + scrolling vertically and horizontally".

the directions of that have changed opposite from logic 7 as u guys probably know.

is there any way i can change/choose the direction of that zoom back to how it was in 7??

i tried to look for an answer so hard. everywhere. dont know what to do.

Can any one help me please??

Thanks a lot in advance!

frankjimenez

Re:  

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:11 am

trebor wrote:

I didn't know that, but my zoom doesn't work

Syntho

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 pm

A little seems to have changed in Logic and Mavericks...

The shortcuts are a little different (you have to hit Shift instead of Command now to scroll horizontally), but I'm having another problem.

When I use my middle mouse button in Mavericks the 'pan' thing comes on and I can scroll at a decent speed. However in Logic X, scrolling horizontally with the same method 1) doesn't display that pan icon and 2) it's WAY too fast and sensitive. Like, blistering fast. It doesn't do that in anything else, just Logic.

The control + shift shortcut is GREAT, but the way it works for me is that when I hit control + shift, I have to click with my left mouse button and drag/pan anywhere I want. No problem there, but what bothers me is that it has to be on an empty area (not on a region).

Cubase has it set up so that when middle-clicking, it functions similar to the control + shift shortcut except it's just a single middle mouse click and you can also even start scrolling by middle clicking on a region, so no worrying about it being an empty area.

I'd like it set up like that.
2008 8-core 2.8ghz Mac Pro - 18GB RAM | OS 10.9.1 | Logic Pro 10.0.6 |
RME Multiface | Korg N5 Controller |

robinsonsampa

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:53 pm

Syntho wrote:
A little seems to have changed in Logic and Mavericks...
When I use my middle mouse button in Mavericks the 'pan' thing comes on and I can scroll at a decent speed. However in Logic X, scrolling horizontally with the same method 1) doesn't display that pan icon and 2) it's WAY too fast and sensitive. Like, blistering fast. It doesn't do that in anything else, just Logic.

I'm having exactly the same issue using Logic Pro X and Mavericks. The middle mouse button is unusable because its tooooo fast to keep any control.

There's any workaround for it? Maybe a new shortcut? :?

euph0ric

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 pm

This is interesting topic.
Back to the problem, after many years :).
I've been using Cubase for past couple of years and now I want to go back to Logic and as I can see, seems like there is still no workaround for middle click in order to scroll through arrangement.
Control+Shift+drag is fine, but the problem is that it has to be clicked on empty space.
Logic Pro X 10.5.1, OSX Mojave 10.14.6, CustoMac Intel i7 4790k, 32GB RAM, 2x256GB Samsung 850Pro SSD, T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 + various MIDI controllers