Sharing a "Frequency Hunter" Patch EQ

Several EQ plugs (FabFilter Pro-Q, PSP Neon . . . ) have a "frequency hunter" function that allows you to solo a band and slide it around the frequency spectrum to zero-in on frequencies. This is very useful. You can do it, sort-of, using Logic's Multipressor, but you don't get the strong resonant Q effect on the band that makes the function so useful in the first place.

So you can easily set up a strong narrow peak in Logic's Channel EQ with steep low cuts and high cuts on each side. But then you can't easily slide the whole thing around left and right and have all 3 filters move together. 

... enter Smart Controls. Here is a patch for an Aux track that contains the eq preset and the mapped smart controls. One smart control slides the composite filter around and the other adjusts the Q of the peaking one. 

To use (easiest way): 

1. Put the patch file in ~Music/Audio Music Apps/Patches/Aux

2. Set the output of the audio or instrument track to a bus (or use a send)

3. Right click the Bus channel strip and select Make Track

4. Select the new Aux track now present in the main arrange window

5. Select the patch from the library

I wish there were a way to save Smart Controls with just the eq plugin itself so that you could just instantiate the plug on any audio or instrument track. But this has been discussed before. Of course you could just create an audio or instrument patch with this same eq and Smart Control mapping, your favorite compressor plug etc. and use that right on the channel itself. I felt going with the Aux was the most flexible way for me. 

Lastly, it occurs to me that we could use Smart Controls to make all kinds of interesting "couplings" between filter frequencies, boosts and Qs, complete with scaling to get Logic's EQ to mimic the behavior of respected vintage EQs - far beyond the Q-coupling already present in the channel EQ. It would be a lot of work and you would need something like Waves Q-clone and of course some hardware or at least Waves SSL/Slate/PSP etc plugs. But imagine a whole set of patches with mapped Smart Controls that allowed you to dial up things the way you would with a Pultec using just Logic's eq. 

Patch zipped and attached below. 

FrequencyHunterAuxEQVariableQ.patch.zip