Worst sounding instruments ever?

Hi!

I need audio units of piano, bass and acoustic guitar that sound really bad. Yeah, you read that right. I want a very cheap (lofi) sound to work with on one of my songs, and my NI plugins are just to good and well sampled and layered. Any suggestions? I've heard the old Casio piano should be a great way to start off?

Try the GM midi instrument from Apple.

Create Software Instrument and then pick the AU Instruments -> Apple -> DLSMusicDevice plugin.

From there, if you've not got a midi controller to scroll through the program changes to different sounds then you can create a region and by using the event list create a program change at the start of the region.

You can scroll through the presets by changing that program change value (They will be labelled).

That will give you some cheesy lift-type sounds, and you can pepper with plugins if you want it grainy and more lo-fi.

Try the GM midi instrument from Apple.

Create Software Instrument and then pick the AU Instruments -> Apple -> DLSMusicDevice plugin.

From there, if you've not got a midi controller to scroll through the program changes to different sounds then you can create a region and by using the event list create a program change at the start of the region.

You can scroll through the presets by changing that program change value (They will be labelled).

That will give you some cheesy lift-type sounds, and you can pepper with plugins if you want it grainy and more lo-fi.

Thanks! That's just what I need.

I used to have Sound Blaster AWE32 in the 90s, and it's just the right amount of cheesy. It's also more inspiring than using "perfect" instruments sometimes, bc there's so much personality to these crappy sounds ☺️