Looking for realistic/authentic alto/tenor sax EXS sound?

I'm in the process of making a song, and I need a good sounding saxophone for the chorus lead. I've tried Logic's stock brass, but they all sound terrible, even the sax on my Jupiter 80. Anyone know where I can get a realistic sounding sax EXS? Any help would be super appreciative!

Some instruments will always be a nightmare to make them sound realistic, because they are not simple instruments, like drums or piano. Saxophone and other horns have a lot of dynamics and nuances that are created by the player, the way they blow, how they place their mouth, etc, so even if you have a good sample pack, only by spending hours and hours on it, you will get a good sound. 

The EXS is loaded with samples that (I assume) are all played by real musicians, but off course, there are infinite combinations when playing a single note on a saxophone and those can't be all recorded.

I would suggest that you pick a sound, play with the velocity, filter, etc. Even inside EXS, sometime each velocity plays a different sample, so it's a matter of playing with that. Other than that, there's nothing like having a real saxophone playing ;)

I'm in the process of making a song, and I need a good sounding saxophone for the chorus lead. I've tried Logic's stock brass, but they all sound terrible, even the sax on my Jupiter 80. Anyone know where I can get a realistic sounding sax EXS? Any help would be super appreciative!

Some instruments will always be a nightmare to make them sound realistic, because they are not simple instruments, like drums or piano. Saxophone and other horns have a lot of dynamics and nuances that are created by the player, the way they blow, how they place their mouth, etc, so even if you have a good sample pack, only by spending hours and hours on it, you will get a good sound. 

The EXS is loaded with samples that (I assume) are all played by real musicians, but off course, there are infinite combinations when playing a single note on a saxophone and those can't be all recorded.

I would suggest that you pick a sound, play with the velocity, filter, etc. Even inside EXS, sometime each velocity plays a different sample, so it's a matter of playing with that. Other than that, there's nothing like having a real saxophone playing ;)

Thanks! I've never tried the different velocities, I shall give that one a try.

Do you know if Native Instruments' saxophone EXS24 is good?

Never tried it. For the last 3 or 4 years I've been trying to stay away from third party plugins and sound banks so I can explore in depth what Logic offers. So far, I haven't felt I needed anything but just tools to manipulate sound. That's the only stuff I actually use.

And yes give velocity a try and see if that helps make it a bit more natural. Sometimes when you set the velocity to 127 in certain instruments it gives you a different option, like a lick, a slide, etc.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...