3rd Party Plugin factory presets database for Logic

It's on my list - just moved house a week ago so haven't yet settled down to a stable routine, or caught up on things, so you'll need to be a bit patient, I'm afraid... I've done a bit of work on the scripts for the new plugins, but haven't yet finished them.

It's on my list - just moved house a week ago so haven't yet settled down to a stable routine, or caught up on things, so you'll need to be a bit patient, I'm afraid... I've done a bit of work on the scripts for the new plugins, but haven't yet finished them.

Thanks for update - good luck on the house move. Will be patient - thought of manually saving the entire V5 collection presets makes me VERY patient.

Update: the scripts are done, and a couple of instruments are done, and I'm wading through the rest of the V5 stuff bit by bit...

Done so far: MiniV, JP8V, M12V, ModV, ProphetV, B3V, Stage73, PianoV, WurliV, ARP2600V, CS80V, Vox ContinentalV, FarfisaV, SolinaV, SemV, SynclavierV...

I'm not sure how much sense it makes to bother with Analog Lab - as far as I can see (from a quick look), it contains all the presets of the individual instruments - I think it uses all their preset libraries, as I can certainly see custom patches I've imported into the individual instruments appearing also in Analog Lab's browser. So I think it makes more sense that if you are using the Lab, you might as well use it's own tag browser to access patches, which gives a lot more flexibility.

Edited by des99

01.thumb.jpg.5e4f0507f4ab66cf518cd14950375af1.jpg

Arturia V-Collection 5

All instruments* saved as Logic plugin settings for your Logic patch browsing convenience

Download: ArturiaV5_for_LPX.zip 

(100MB archive, 800MB expanded, 5500+ individual patches)

Note - Analog Lab 2 is not included here at this point, it seems that it contains basically all the presets of the other instruments so it's just making the job twice as long/hard. At least Analog Lab has a decent patch browser to use instead, which is more flexible than having Logic patches anyway.

Instructions: Once unpacked, there is a folder for each instrument, named the same as it's Logic settings folder. 

Copy the "Factory" folder from each instrument you want to

~/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/*instrument*/ (that's the Library folder in your home directory)

Eg, if you want the JP8V presets, copy the "Factory" folder inside ArturiaV5/Jup-8 V3/ to ~/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/Jup-8 V3/.

So it looks like ~/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/Jup-8 V3/Factory/...

Enjoy!

01.jpg

Arturia V-Collection 5

All instruments* saved as Logic plugin settings for your Logic patch browsing convenience

Download: ArturiaV5_for_LPX.zip 

(100MB archive, 800MB expanded, 5500+ individual patches)

Note - Analog Lab 2 is not included here at this point, it seems that it contains basically all the presets of the other instruments so it's just making the job twice as long/hard. At least Analog Lab has a decent patch browser to use instead, which is more flexible than having Logic patches anyway.

Instructions: Once unpacked, there is a folder for each instrument, named the same as it's Logic settings folder. 

Copy the "Factory" folder from each instrument you want to

~/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/*instrument*/ (that's the Library folder in your home directory)

Eg, if you want the JP8V presets, copy the "Factory" folder inside ArturiaV5/Jup-8 V3/ to ~/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/Jup-8 V3/.

So it looks like ~/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/Jup-8 V3/Factory/...

Enjoy!

Wow thanks a lot - cant imagine doing that load manually. Put them in and they all seem to be working fine. Your the man.

Once the scripts were done (modified from the D50 scripts) it was actually pretty solid and reasonably quick. Pick an instrument, find tune some control positions, then pick a category, and go - the macro creates the various folders and there were no quirky weirdness in running the macros, so although it took a while it was relatively painless... :)

Thanks for letting me know they are working for you!

Yeah I never took the plunge into scripting - have enough VI's to support my home recording - actually a bit too many - and I think now I have all of their presets loaded in Logic's Library. The oddest duck is Acoustic Samples B-5V2. I manually saved the presets and the actual preset files (not the sound files) are large - 4.2MB each. All of my preset files are only a few kilobytes each so browsing through Logic Library is quick but get beachballs for about 8 or so seconds just changing preset with the B-5 because of the odd large preset size load time. When I use the gui preset arrows they load quick. Odd.

Once the scripts were done (modified from the D50 scripts) it was actually pretty solid and reasonably quick. Pick an instrument, find tune some control positions, then pick a category, and go - the macro creates the various folders and there were no quirky weirdness in running the macros, so although it took a while it was relatively painless... :)

Thanks for letting me know they are working for you!

Thanks for doing these, des99!  Kudos.   You downplayed it a little... but I know - this is still a lot of work, modifying the scripts, running them (and each one can take a while to execute), zipping / packaging up the results, then posting them up here.  Appreciate the effort!

Joe

I'm assuming this was done with Applescript?  Is this script available anywhere?

No, I use Keyboard Maestro for these tasks:

https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

Macro scripts have to be modified/tuned for your environment and per instrument, as different instruments require slightly different approaches.

In general, your macro should (in simplistic terms):

- Pick up the current patch name (and bank name sometimes)

- Save a Logic preset with the same name

- Increment the patch

- Loop until done (sometimes you might want an outer loop to step through banks if you want to remote control the whole session in one go)

The details vary, but usually names can be picked up by entering a name field and copying the name to the clipboard. In some cases, where the plugin won't allow the patch name to be picked up, I've pulled it from a finder window on it's own patches but that's getting a little more complicated.

Keyboard Maestro is great as it lets you create smaller scripts and trigger them from a larger one, so I typically define scripts for "Save Logic Preset", "Get Patch Name", "Increment Patch", "Increment Bank", and so on, and have an overall script with the loop that calls those sub scripts as necessary. Then individual scripts can be modified as necessary for each new plugin.

(It's usually a lot of extra work to make a generic script that will work for everything, so I modify as necessary for the task at hand - the script is only used to export the patches from a given plugin once, so the extra work to make a generic script that will work for anything is usually not worth the effort. This is another reason why it doesn't make sense to share my scripts.)

It's not really practical to put scripts up for others, as any scripts I have done are for plugins I've already exported, and the approach used won't work for any other given plugin without work anyway. If you really want to get into this, the best thing to do is to grab the KM demo, and give it a try and learn how to approach these things for yourself - it's a useful tool to have for some situations.

I'm happy to help out if other people are trying to do this and are having problems...

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Applescript could do it too, automator and KeyMaestro are just more point-and-click to accomplish it.  An example or two might be helpful for people that want to take a crack at this.  I'm also wondering about the possibility to use scripts like this to generate NI NKS files.

An example or two might be helpful for people that want to take a crack at this.

Well, looking at the recent Arturia stuff I did, my process goes something like this:

Start by positioning the plugin  at a consistent size and location, and have a look at the patch organisation to plan the approach. In this case, I decided I'd output by category, so you'd start by selecting the first patch of the first category ("Bass"), and increment through the category, saving the patches until done. Then onto the next category etc.

- How do I get the Patch name?

In the Arturia plugins, the name field isn't directly editable, but you can click 'Save As" in the Arturia menu, which displays a dialog box with the patch name and category names - so we use this by getting the macro to click on each, and pick up the text into patchName and categoryName variables, then exit the dialog.

- How do I get the category name? (I'll probably want to save each patch in a category in a folder by that name)

See above. When we start a new category, the macro will need to create the appropriate folder with the category name, and navigate there so Logic will save patches in that folder. This will need to be reset when done.

- How do I increment patches?

There are < and > buttons in the main plugin window that move between patches, so the macro can click on them

- How do I save the patch in Logic?

There is no key command for this, so the macro needs to invoke Logic's menu and chose "Save As...", and paste in the patch name

As far as macro programming goes, the key tools to use are mouse clicks in certain locations, and sending key commands (which are generally more reliable as you don't have to worry about screen positioning). Also useful are copy/paste with the clipboard, and a killer feature KM has is to look for and recognise a particular image on screen - so you can use this to look for a particular button or image from a screenshot section, and then click it. You also have to be careful with delays as well - when manipulating controls programmatically, you have to give enough time for the screen controls to render and be clicked on - if you try to go too fast, the script becomes unreliable very quickly.

So, you just need to assess a plugin on these grounds - how do I get the patch name, and build a little script to do that. And the same for the rest. Get, Save, Increment, rinse and repeat.

Does that help?

Patches need to already exist in the plugin's format (and in its proprietary library) in order for the Logic's patch version (of the original 3rd party plugin's patch) to work. Otherwise, it's like Logic is invoking a ghost patch, in which case, the 3rd plugin will react by either selecting another existing patch from its library or simply ignoring the request.

Thanks  Atlas 007

I re-read what you wrote 5 times and finally figured out my issue.  For some reason-  My Logic Pro X is wanting to read the 

Arturia V3 presets from 

>System directory

/Library/Audio/Presets

and older Arturia v from 

>User directory

/Library/Audio/Presets

ALRIGHT-  I Fixed this-    seemed to be a permissions thing. I reset my home folder permissions by 

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nosappnd,noschg,nosunlnk,nouappnd,nouchg {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Patches need to already exist in the plugin's format (and in its proprietary library) in order for the Logic's patch version (of the original 3rd party plugin's patch) to work. Otherwise, it's like Logic is invoking a ghost patch, in which case, the 3rd plugin will react by either selecting another existing patch from its library or simply ignoring the request.

I think the AU presets file contain all the parameters within, so you don't need the patch to exist on your system within the plugin.  I may be wrong, but i'm about 90% sure. :)

I think the AU presets file contain all the parameters within, so you don't need the patch to exist on your system within the plugin.  I may be wrong, but i'm about 90% sure. :)

Just for the sake of testing it, create a patch/preset in the 3rd party plugin format and save it inside that plugin via its own GUI (not in Logic's library, yet).

Then after that 3rd party plugin patch/preset (you just made), save in Logic its AUpreset patch, in order to be able to invoke it later from within the Logic's patch library.

Now, delete the patch/preset from within the 3rd party plugin GUI (but keep the corresponding Logic AUpreset you just created from it).

Finally, you should end up with a Logic AUpreset in Logic's library (but no more corresponding patch/preset in the 3rd party plugin proprietary original format).

Select that patch/AUpreset from within Logic's library.

What is happening?

Yeah works fine if i remove the patch from the Arturia Jup-8 plugin, which i used for testing - and it recalls the name of the patch and everything.

I mean, i knew it worked like that, otherwise you wouldn't be able to create user patches by saving in logic only, and would instead have to save in the plugin itself AND in the logic library, which would be goofy.

Of course, this also raises the question that what happens if someone requests additional paid for sound packs on this thread, is that violating any copyrights?  (i.e. if i exported out my Synthmaster library on here there's quite a few 'paid' add-ons which would go across into au preset format) One presumes the factory content is fair game, of course.

You running latest versions of the plugins?  It's possible additional parameters exist in the logic au presets that the arturia plugins you have installed don't have.

To be safe, you need to be on the latest version, or min that Des99 has (in this case).

Updated-  and all aupresets working now.  Thanks

Of course, this also raises the question that what happens if someone requests additional paid for sound packs on this thread, is that violating any copyrights?  (i.e. if i exported out my Synthmaster library on here there's quite a few 'paid' add-ons which would go across into au preset format) One presumes the factory content is fair game, of course.

This has already happened in this thread. The thread is for *factory presets*, which is the patch content that comes with the given plugin. Anyone who has the plugin, has paid for those presets, so offering them in a different format to those plugin owners for convenience is fair game.

Converting other, commercial, patch libraries that are still being sold into AUpresets and uploading them here is indeed violating copyrights and thus any posts that have done so have been removed.

This has already happened in this thread. The thread is for *factory presets*, which is the patch content that comes with the given plugin. Anyone who has the plugin, has paid for those presets, so offering them in a different format to those plugin owners for convenience is fair game.

Converting other, commercial, patch libraries that are still being sold into AUpresets and uploading them here is indeed violating copyrights and thus any posts that have done so have been removed.

+1 This.   There are a few developers who I have generated au instruments for, at their request.. and they distribute these to their users directly - along with their libs.  Only factory or presets included with a software instrument purchase are posted here.   This came up years ago.. and everyone seems to have been careful about not posting up commercial preset au instruments.

• 3 weeks later...