TB-303 emulation

Today I've decided to try different third-party plugins that emulate the famous TB-303

After a few tries, and wondering if I should really spend that money or not, I came up with what I think is a good emulation of it, and of course, it's free, because it only uses stock plugins ;)

If you like it, automate these parameters to get other textures:

- Retro Synth's CutOff

- Retro Synth's Resonance

- Retro Synth's Env (the knob right underneath the filter window, to the right of the LFO knob) Interesting tip: if you move the knob to negative values, it creates a very interesting sound, that maybe the original TB-303 didn't have.

- Retro Synth's Amp Env Decay

- BitCrush's Drive (the plugin is off by default, but increasing the Drive, gives it that dirty sound)

You will see that I have the Scripter on top. This is a preset I created a while ago so I can map different parameters to different knobs and faders, using a single MIDI FX instance. Open it in Editor mode and the instructions are at the top.

For those of you who are not very familiar with some of the features inside the original TB-303, when you program your pattern, sometimes it's good to overlap notes to create that glide between notes. Also, use the velocity to create accents that open the filter when higher velocity notes are played.

Hope it's useful to other people. I know I will be using it on a regular basis :)

Let me know what you think.

Danny Wyatt - TB-303 Emulation.zip

Today I've decided to try different third-party plugins that emulate the famous TB-303

After a few tries, and wondering if I should really spend that money or not, I came up with what I think is a good emulation of it, and of course, it's free, because it only uses stock plugins ;)

Danny, nice one! Especially with the added Bitcrush & Ensemble I'm really digging this, got inspired right away. Personally I'm not bothered about the accuracy of the emulation pretty much with anything, as the final sound matters, however you get there and I've got many synths with more and less authentic 303 presets plus actual 303 emulator plugins as well, and this is a good addition to the palette for sure! Thanks!

Danny, nice one! Especially with the added Bitcrush & Ensemble I'm really digging this, got inspired right away. Personally I'm not bothered about the accuracy of the emulation pretty much with anything, as the final sound matters, however you get there and I've got many synths with more and less authentic 303 presets plus actual 303 emulator plugins as well, and this is a good addition to the palette for sure! Thanks!

Super glad to know that this inspired you :)

And if you have a midi controller with at least 4 knobs that you can assign to the cutoff, resonance, amount and distortion, that’s when the fun begins ;)

I agree, sometimes things don’t have to be 100% the same as the original. The ensemble is something that I thought gave it a bit more character and then of course, each person can add any other effects on top. At least the first part of the sound is there :)

thanks for the feedback!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, a pretty solid emulation especially with the overdrive plugin!

Also this scriping FX thing is really cool – I had no idea about this – and now I'm seeing how I can program other VST synths to map more easily and automatically to my controller by saving as templates and loading these up whenever I need, for whatever I need. Thanks for this awesome resource!

Also this scriping FX thing is really cool – I had no idea about this – and now I'm seeing how I can program other VST synths to map more easily and automatically to my controller by saving as templates and loading these up whenever I need, for whatever I need. Thanks for this awesome resource!

Glad you liked it!

Yes the overdrive really helps. I was testing 2 emulations and I noticed that on one of them there was a distortion section and it was really what made the sound more "acid" than the other so when I tried on my own version, it really had the same effect.

The script is very helpful indeed. I was trying to find a way to map some synths such as Alchemy, Retro Synth and ES2 to my controller, but I couldn't find a script for that so I grabbed one of the default ones and without much (or practically zero) knowledge of Javascript, I've started messing around with it, changing some of the code, deleting lines, dealing with a lot of errors, trying to combine different parts of the code from one preset and another... and I'm happy I was able to end up with something that does what's supposed to, no errors :) And happy to see others finding it useful as well

Thanks for your positive feedback!!

Quick note: for the synth mapping, you can create a Zone inside the Controller Assignments window called for example "Synths" (or whatever you want to call it) and then for each synth, you create a new Mode. Since you can only have 1 Mode selected at a time, meaning only that Mode will be active, you can create the same effect by just clicking the mode for the synth (or plugin) you want to control. The advantage of the script compared to this is that you can export each synth map as a file. Other than that, they both do the same thing. Whatever works better and faster for you :)

The script is very helpful indeed. I was trying to find a way to map some synths such as Alchemy, Retro Synth and ES2 to my controller, but I couldn't find a script for that so I grabbed one of the default ones and without much (or practically zero) knowledge of Javascript, I've started messing around with it, changing some of the code, deleting lines, dealing with a lot of errors, trying to combine different parts of the code from one preset and another... and I'm happy I was able to end up with something that does what's supposed to, no errors :) And happy to see others finding it useful as well

Wow man, I've been looking for something like this for awhile! I invested in a NI Kontrol49 keyboard about a year ago and while I love it, there are a lot of limitations when not using their software, so just as a standard midi controller. So when I open up a lot of my go-to VSTs or plugins, I have to "learn" the midi mapping over every single time.

I'm the same, I don't know much about programming or javascript, but I poked around in your script and learned how to add a total of 16 knobs which matches my controller. Now I can go through all my favorite VSTs and plugins and make easy-to-recall templates that are basically pre-mapped the way I like them. Saves so much time over having to "learn" every parameter every time I load. How cool.

I'll have a look at the Zone/Mode thing you suggested as well. Thanks :D

Wow man, I've been looking for something like this for awhile! I invested in a NI Kontrol49 keyboard about a year ago and while I love it, there are a lot of limitations when not using their software, so just as a standard midi controller. So when I open up a lot of my go-to VSTs or plugins, I have to "learn" the midi mapping over every single time.

I'm the same, I don't know much about programming or javascript, but I poked around in your script and learned how to add a total of 16 knobs which matches my controller. Now I can go through all my favorite VSTs and plugins and make easy-to-recall templates that are basically pre-mapped the way I like them. Saves so much time over having to "learn" every parameter every time I load. How cool.

I'll have a look at the Zone/Mode thing you suggested as well. Thanks :D

Yeah once you have those 8, you just duplicate them and change a few things. It indeed opens a lot of possibilities for people with midi controllers.

I believe that if you are mapping a lot of knobs/faders/pads and a lot of synths, maybe the Controller Assignments is faster and you don’t need to insert the Scripter over and over again. If you have a shortcut assigned to open the Controller Assignments window, it’s super fast.

Again, whatever works faster, that’s what matters :)

Glad to know you are now able to enjoy the midi controller even more!

I believe that if you are mapping a lot of knobs/faders/pads and a lot of synths, maybe the Controller Assignments is faster and you don’t need to insert the Scripter over and over again. If you have a shortcut assigned to open the Controller Assignments window, it’s super fast.

You sir, are a certified genius! I just set up a few VSTs using this window in the zones and modes as you suggested. Took me a minute to figure out how to 'learn' each parameter but once I did, it was smooth sailing and now I can definitely see the benefit of this, over loading a scripting effect every time. Cool to have both options! I'm coming from several years in Ableton and to be honest the level of midi control and "hacking" is blowing my mind, allowing me to do things I have only wished for in the past several years. Chief among them the ability to open a software sampler or VST and tweak the same knobs I always tweak (the usual suspects, filters, envelopes, volume, and some effects). Great to be able to open and simply start playing and tweaking, rather than needing to "learn" and set up midi every single time (in which case I often get lazy and just use the dreaded mouse instead!). Thanks again so much for these tips!

You sir, are a certified genius!

Haha... thank you! I like to always put myself in a position of apprentice, though, so I can always learn new things ;)

I just set up a few VSTs using this window in the zones and modes as you suggested. Took me a minute to figure out how to 'learn' each parameter but once I did, it was smooth sailing and now I can definitely see the benefit of this, over loading a scripting effect every time. Cool to have both options!

Yes, it's faster, because it's already there for every project :)

Maybe for a temporary situation, the Scripter is ok.

Also, one thing you can do that with the Controller Assignments window is a bit annoying, because of the warnings, is that with the Scripter, you can change the script and assign one knob/fader/pad to multiple parameters. Not that you will use this over and over again, I guess, but it's always good to have the option... As they say, the sky is the limit!

I'm coming from several years in Ableton and to be honest the level of midi control and "hacking" is blowing my mind, allowing me to do things I have only wished for in the past several years

I gotta be honest: I tried Ableton a few times in the past and even though there are good features there that I wish Logic would have, I was never comfortable working with it. I guess the fact that I keep exploring Logic more and more and it seems that there's always something that blows my mind, just shows me how complete Logic is. Not only the features, but also the content (the amount of plugins, the HUGE amount of presets, samples, loops, etc). I know the debate of "which DAW is better" is subjective, because each person works a different way, but looking at the price, the content you get, the workflow, the customization, etc, I don't really think any other DAW beats that.

Really happy that you found these tips useful! And since you're new to the forum, let me tell you that people here are super useful and willing to help. It's a very healthy environment (unlike some forums I've seen where people can be pretty nasty with each other...)

looking at the price, the content you get, the workflow, the customization

Speaking of the price, I've been on Ableton for a few years where the price I paid for the full "studio" suite was something around $1K USD. Every new version I've upgraded which is around $2-300. Recently they've released Live v11 and my upgrade fee is $250. I just worked on a project with another producer who uses Logic and he was showing me how he flies through midi editing, comping takes, project versioning, and so many other complex pro-level tasks – and when I learned Logic is $199 for the full price, less than my Ableton upgrade, I decided to take a chance. I'm so glad I did because you're right, the amount of things you get for $199 is actually kinda mind-blowing. The level of complex midi editing tasks in the piano roll alone is worth it, and now learning how I can make all my controllers and VSTs forever "ready to rock" is the real cherry on top. There are indeed some cool things about Ableton and they have a few interesting effects and instruments, but all things considered I don't miss it.

Oh, one thing I noticed with the Controller Assignments window when I was making Zones/Modes yesterday, is I accidentally used the same mode for two separate synths at first. But then I did a test by opening both plug-in windows and twiddled the assigned knobs – I was worried they would both respond since they were in the same 'mode' but in fact, only the selected track responded (which is ideal, as I wouldn't want to be accidentally altering another plugin without realizing). So it seems to me like maybe I don't even have to create separate modes for every plugin/synth and could perhaps keep them all in a single mode so I won't have to switch? It appears to know on a plug-in and track-selection basis which is cool. But hopefully I'm not missing something!

Good to know this is a supportive community! Yes not all forums are like that :)

looking at the price, the content you get, the workflow, the customization

Speaking of the price, I've been on Ableton for a few years where the price I paid for the full "studio" suite was something around $1K USD. Every new version I've upgraded which is around $2-300. Recently they've released Live v11 and my upgrade fee is $250. I just worked on a project with another producer who uses Logic and he was showing me how he flies through midi editing, comping takes, project versioning, and so many other complex pro-level tasks – and when I learned Logic is $199 for the full price, less than my Ableton upgrade, I decided to take a chance. I'm so glad I did because you're right, the amount of things you get for $199 is actually kinda mind-blowing. The level of complex midi editing tasks in the piano roll alone is worth it, and now learning how I can make all my controllers and VSTs forever "ready to rock" is the real cherry on top. There are indeed some cool things about Ableton and they have a few interesting effects and instruments, but all things considered I don't miss it.

Oh, one thing I noticed with the Controller Assignments window when I was making Zones/Modes yesterday, is I accidentally used the same mode for two separate synths at first. But then I did a test by opening both plug-in windows and twiddled the assigned knobs – I was worried they would both respond since they were in the same 'mode' but in fact, only the selected track responded (which is ideal, as I wouldn't want to be accidentally altering another plugin without realizing). So it seems to me like maybe I don't even have to create separate modes for every plugin/synth and could perhaps keep them all in a single mode so I won't have to switch? It appears to know on a plug-in and track-selection basis which is cool. But hopefully I'm not missing something!

Good to know this is a supportive community! Yes not all forums are like that :)

Yeah I think Ableton's prices are insane, especially because they don't have the "rent-to-own" model, which could help both the company and the users.

The Controller Assignments can be set to control the channel strip that's selected or global, depending on what you are assigning.

I think it's a matter of testing that approach when it comes to the Modes. It makes sense what you said. To me I just like to have everything organized so I know exactly what parameters are being controlled. If you don't have that thing, then I guess your approach would make more sense.

I think the Modes can also be useful for example if you want to control more than just the synth. Let's say you have a channel strip with Retro Synth, a reverb and a delay.

You can have 1 Mode for each and by activating each mode, you can have the same controls assigned to different plugins and parameters, for quick automation.

Let's say you only had 2 knobs on your controller. Maybe Mode 1 would be to control Retro Synth's CutOff and Resonance, then Mode 2 would control the reverb's mix and LPF, then Mode 3 would control the delay's feedback and mix.