SSL 4000 G presets for Logic's Compressor (download)

SSL 4000 G master bus compressor

emulation presets for the Logic Pro 8 Compressor

Legal

These emulation presets are ©2008 Holger Lagerfeldt for Popmusic.dk

and are not endorsed by either Apple, Waves or Solid State Logic.

Download and Installation

http://www.popmusic.dk/links-us.html

Install the folder entitled SSL 4000 G master comp here:

Mac HD>Users>YourUserName>Library>Application Support>Logic>Plug-In Setting>Compressor

These presets will not work or sound correct in Logic 7.

Sound example

http://Dead link removed [Edit: HL]

How To Use

The SSL comp is intended as a master mix compressor on the main bus or on sub mixes, i.e. a sub mix of drums.

The SSL comp is not a real mastering compressor. It is often used during mixing for subtle (or not so subtle) glue effect.

You can use it as part of a mastering chain but rarely as the only master compressor, and usually then as the first compressor in the chain.

Quick tip: Gentle compression

For gentle glue type compression, choose a Ratio 2 or 4 preset, and set threshold for a maximum of 1-2 dB of gain reduction on the meter.

Quick tip: Pumping and punch

For less pumping or more punch select a slower Attack of 3, 10 or 30 ms, and a release between .3 s and 1.2 seconds.

The Good

All possible ratio, attack and release/auto combinations are included, apart from the exceptions below.

Preset default settings closely emulate the default settings of the Waves SLL G-master compressor, which means you can do quick A/B comparisons.

The Bad

· Auto release. There’s no way to get the true sound of the SSL auto release in the Logic Compressor.

· 0.1 ms attack setting is not possible in the Logic Pro compressor. Closest setting is 0 ms which pumps excessively. Not a big loss though IMO.

-

Geek Stuff

The presets have been made using real life material and test tones. Levels generally match Waves SSL default settings within 0.2 dB. In some cases the numerical values are not the same as they appear on the Waves SSL, such as ratio 4:1 being 3.7:1 in Logic. This is not an error. Please notice that knee and threshold default settings vary depending on ratio, just like the Waves SSL does (behind the scenes). The extended parameters of the Logic Compressor enables the internal EQ sidechain for a gentle 60 Hz hi pass filter for closer low end emulation.

A frequency analyzer will show very little difference between the plug-ins:

http://www.popmusic.dk/download/logic/ssl/sslfrequency.gif

Purple color: Waves SSL · Orange color: Logic Compressor

Looking at the waveforms for transient changes, there is generally speaking a strong similarity between the two waveforms, and transients are quite similar too:

http://www.popmusic.dk/download/logic/ssl/sslwaveform.gif

Upper waveform: Waves SSL · Bottom waveform: Logic Compressor

This doesn’t necessarily mean your ears will agree but the presets are fairly close despite using a bundled sequencer compressor.

Happy compressing.

Edited by lagerfeldt

YOU'REEEE A GEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNIUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Interesting that your results are SO close, considering the cost behind owning the waves plugins and also the respect their plugins get from almost everyone.

Personally I've not wished for another compressor since Logic 8. It's ace.

souinds very close, except that the Logic Compressor is not as full as the the SSL, in the lower mid range. It's a slight difference, and the regular consumer would not be able to tell. The SSL is slightly smoother.

The differences are so subtle, that I wouldn't go out and buy the plugs because of that, because you could adjust that in the eq. I'm interested in seeing the difference on a channel strip versus the mix bus.

Hey lager,

Your posting of this was timely as I was about to do my own comparison of a few comps for just this purpose, bus compression!

Your VCA 4:1, 3mS attack, 100mS release, with a max 3dB-ish gain reduction setting is damn close to my favorite bus setting, so I used that for a benchmark. Comparing the Logic comp to the SV-315 and the new UAD Precision bus compressor, I'm surprised at how well the Logic comp holds up. In a nutshell, they all sound great!

At higher ratios. which I'd never use on a mix bus anyway, the UAD pulls ahead a bit, but for normal bus use I gotta say the Logic comp is quite adequate.

Let me know if you'd like to hear any before/after snippets with the UAD. I could upload to my site for you. I did my comparisons keeping levels and crest factors within 1dB, so it's a fair deal.

Your VCA 4:1, 3mS attack, 100mS release, with a max 3dB-ish gain reduction setting is damn close to my favorite bus setting, so I used that for a benchmark.

Nice. My own favourite is: Ratio 4, 10 ms attack, 300 ms release (0.3 s)

Well, this is a first for me.

A plugin to emulate... A plugin.

LOL

Heh heh, yeah pretty ironic isn't it.

• 4 weeks later...