Upright Jazz Bass Channel Strip Preset

I'm trying desperately not to buy Trillian. Totally unsatisfied with the acoustic bass instruments in EXS I spent a while tweaking one of them just by adding modulations to randomize the sample start position and tuning of each note etc. It's nothing too deep but the end result is a far cry from the stock preset with its "machine gun" repeated notes. It's actually amazing how far the modulation matrix in EXS will get you.

It's really quite playable. The mod wheel offers a little muting and aftertouch controls pitch vibrato.

There's a little room ambience in the included space designer plug and I threw an amp sim on it. You could probably do a lot better with a little time with the amp sim. An idea would be to use the sim on a bus instead and simulate blending the DI and amp signals as usual when recording upright bass.

The attached file goes in your instrument channel strip folder in your user directory ~library/application support/Logic

-----edited------

Also included is the sampler instrument file to put in ~library/application support/Logic/Sampler Instruments. You should already have the samples used by this instrument if you have L8 Studio.

-----edited------

Now if someone (with Redmatica) wants to take the time to tweak some of the samples in an audio editor (repitch, timbre, soften attacks, create x-notes etc) and remap them to additional zones and groups and add round-robin and key switching to the preset, that would be cool too.

RayBrown.cst

AcousticBassImprove12.exs

Edited by scrofani

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hmm, I'm getting the same error message as above, can't seem to get RayBrown to work. BTW, I'm using Logic Pro 9.

I put the "AcousticBassImprove12.exs" in:

Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/02 Bass/01 Acoustic Bass

and I put "RayBrown.cst" in:

Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Instrument/03Bass/01 Acoustic Bass

It seems that when I pull up RayBrown in a new track, Logic can't see where to reference sounds from. Any ideas?

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...