A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

anp27

Re: NovationLaunchPad:pads remapped chromatically,w LED feed

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:54 pm

ibt wrote:
Have you tried assigning those same 8 key assignments/key stroke assignments* used in the video (@1:30 - 4:15 ) to your Launchpad? The top row of buttons in the template are unused, so I'd suggest setting that up for a start - they should function equally well on the LP as on the LP Pro

*Select All, Quantize, Cycle, Zoom Horizontal Out, Zoom Horizontal In, Zoom Vertical Out, Zoom Vertical In 

anp27 wrote:
Just wondering, if I wanted to change the layout of how the notes appear on the Launchpad how would I go about doing that?

To do that, It would be much easier for you to just build a new template from scratch. The layouts he uses in the video can be reproduced with some MIDI routing and processing in the Environment - it's what it was made for! You're basically taking the LP's incoming MIDI messages, processing them (remapping etc.), and passing those messages to an instrument, and/or out of Logic and back to the LP.
You could start a new Logic project and if you have difficulties, start a new thread in this section of the forum with any questions.

Hey ibt, I don't care much for the Select All, Cycle, etc assignments.. I'm more concerned with the second thing you mentioned. I guess I'll need to take a look at your Environment and figure this stuff on my own but in reality I'm a complete noob when it comes to the Environment!
Tutorials on YouTube!

Mac mini (late 2012 Server) 2.3 Ghz i7, 16GB RAM Macbook Pro 15" (early 2011) 2.3 Ghz i7~240GB Kingston Hyper Fury X~WD Black 1TB~16GB Ram~macOS High Sierra 10.13.1~Logic Pro 10.3.2~Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt MKII~KORG microKEY2 61

ibt
Topic Author

Re: Chromatic Launchpad:pads remapped, with LED feedback

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Dusted this project off, and finally gave those top 8 buttons something to do.

Each top button transposes the pattern that's playing by a given value (set in Logic), by up to 23 semitones: a 'transpose event', or preset, let's say.

1.jpg
1.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 191 times

Edit:  Ultrabeat's Sequencer can sound pretty good playing with these transposers, the right patterns, and the right drum kits. (n.b. Launchpad won't display feedback from Ultrabeat's built-in sequencer, since UB doesn't do (live) MIDI out... AU specification etc.etc.)

Also, there's now an 'initialise' button to light up the Launchpad buttons when the project is opened.

As before, in the Environment window: 
 - the Launchpad or Launchpad Mini has to be 'cabled' from the Physical Input object to the 'fromLaunchpad' object;
 - the IAC Driver has to be cabled from the Physical Input object to the 'fromIACtoLaunchpad' object;
 - select the 'toLaunchpad' object (over to the right), then check that your Launchpad is correctly selected in the 'Port' section in the Inspector panel;
 - select the 'toIAC' object, then check that the IAC driver is correctly selected in the 'Port' section in the Inspector panel.

2.jpg
2.jpg (14.21 KiB) Viewed 191 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 191 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (121.36 KiB) Viewed 191 times

To do:
Add a discrete mute_buffer, one for each of the transposers, to work alongside the shared mute_buffer (using one of the unused side buttons).
Add solo_momentary and solo_latch functionality.
Add instantaneous display of active pads, on pressing a transposer (in versions to date, LEDs become active sequentially, as each note plays). This should work whether Logic is stopped or playing.
Attachments
Chromatic Launchpad 4.0.1.zip
(0.1 because bug)
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
Logic 9.1.8, MMS 2.0Ghz Quad i7 8GB 10.11 PB | MOTU Ultralite
Logic 9.1.8, MB 2.4Ghz Intel C2D 6GB 10.8.5