Using 2 or more macs simultaneously thru ethernet

Hello all, I am curious about hooking up my computers using Ethernet; interested in whether Logic 10.6 can work alongside 9.1.8?

2011 iMac i5, 2012 Mac mini i7, Motu 8pre, Kurzweil K2000, Logic 10.6.2, 9.1.8, Spitfire libraries, etc

My setup is to two MacMinis using this

iConnectMIDI2+

So the audio goes Digital, not Analog, but Digital between the two MacMinis.

Also, I just use the iConnectMIDI2+ Midi ports to talk MIDI between the two.

There's no Ethernet used in fact, Ethernet was never meant to support audio, too much data.

Copy a WAV file from one computer to another over Ethernet to see why you shouldn't use audio over Ethernet. This is a single track.

If you copy 10 WAV files, that's 10 tracks you're sending over Ethernet.

I think the iConnectMIDI2+ is discontinued, so you'd probably want to look for an similar audio interface but stay away from audio over Ethernet.

• Like 1

Hi all, I appreciate the info! Yes, have heard of VEPro, thinking it’s probably out of my cash range, but will check it out , thanks. Plus the iconnectMIDI stuff looks pretty great. My thought is to hook my rigs together being able to distribute the sample libraries throughout so I don’t max out any individual cpu

• 2 months later...
Hello all, I am curious about hooking up my computers using Ethernet; interested in whether Logic 10.6 can work alongside 9.1.8?

2011 iMac i5, 2012 Mac mini i7, Motu 8pre, Kurzweil K2000, Logic 10.6.2, 9.1.8, Spitfire libraries, etc

Hi,

I have running it with old Win7 PC, but it should work on macosx to mac fine aswell:

1. Midi Network Setup at your mac gives you possibility to connect MIDI over LAN. For Win use rtp MIDI.

2. For Audio Connections I thing there is a native support from mac. However I use Sonobus: https://sonobus.net/

Nothing more to say from my side. Thats it! Happy producing!

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2021 at 7:15 PM, timmsusa said:

Hi,

I have running it with old Win7 PC, but it should work on macosx to mac fine aswell:

1. Midi Network Setup at your mac gives you possibility to connect MIDI over LAN. For Win use rtp MIDI.

2. For Audio Connections I thing there is a native support from mac. However I use Sonobus: https://sonobus.net/

Nothing more to say from my side. Thats it! Happy producing!

Cheers!

Hi, just curious, what kind of latency are you getting roundtrip with Sonobus?

I've tried Audiogridder and while it works fairly well, it's like 80ms or something...kinda unusable...