Michael Brauer multibuss compression template

Hi folks !

I wish you all a Happy New Year ! May it be filled with tons of mixing work at your studios :D

Last year, at the end of summer I think, I discovered the multi buss compression used by Grammy Award winner Michael Brauer.

You will find it in details here : https://brauerizing.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/brauerizing-a-how-to-guide/

In a nut, instead of compressing the stereo buss, he splits it into 4 busses, one for drums & bass, one for guitars, one for keys and one for backing vocals. On each bus he uses a different compressor. So if the bass is triggering the compressor, it won't affect the guitars for example. The maximum of reduction if 2 dB for each compressor.

For lead vocals, it sends them into 5 different compressors in parallel. The choice of the compressors depends on the type of the song. Maximum 3 dB of reduction (15 dB in total).

I only mix now using this technique, so I created a template called "Brauerizing", based on what you can see in the link above.

In this template, I use a lot of Slate plugins (VMR, VBC, Tape), some Waves and some Logic plugins.

I can create another one with only Logic plugins if you want.

If you want these templates, simply download them here.

Cheers from France

Florian

Brauerizing templates.zip

Both versions

Edited by Mandubien

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks Florian for sharing that template!

5 different compressors in parallel. (...) Maximum 3 dB of reduction (15 dB in total).

Note that if the compressors work in parallel, their reductions do not add up. So you're not going to see 15 dB of reduction total in your song.

Well I guess that using the compressors in series would reduce more, but as you can see in the image, parallel compression works well here (compressed file is on top).

664669Capturedcran20160204081743.png.437715ca80f77486195d3210a53b4277.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
...Last year, at the end of summer I think, I discovered the multi buss compression used by Grammy Award winner Michael Brauer.

You will find it in details here...

Wow, I have been reading about the Brauer technique for years but was too lazy to try it out. Now I have no more excuses! Thanks for making these templates and sharing them with us, seriously you rock!

Big x2 on the "seriously you rock!". Thank you for taking the time to share this. :D

• 10 months later...
Hi folks !

I wish you all a Happy New Year ! May it be filled with tons of mixing work at your studios  :D

Last year, at the end of summer I think, I discovered the multi buss compression used by Grammy Award winner Michael Brauer.

You will find it in details here : https://brauerizing.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/brauerizing-a-how-to-guide/

In a nut, instead of compressing the stereo buss, he splits it into 4 busses, one for drums & bass, one for guitars, one for keys and one for backing vocals. On each bus he uses a different compressor. So if the bass is triggering the compressor, it won't affect the guitars for example. The maximum of reduction if 2 dB for each compressor.

For lead vocals, it sends them into 5 different compressors in parallel. The choice of the compressors depends on the type of the song. Maximum 3 dB of reduction (15 dB in total).

I only mix now using this technique, so I created a template called "Brauerizing", based on what you can see in the link above.

In this template, I use a lot of Slate plugins (VMR, VBC, Tape), some Waves and some Logic plugins.

Cheers from France

Florian

I believe Brauer suggests only one set of compressors for the vocals, splitting into two sends that then are blended into the five compressors via sends on each bus.  In your example you show two different sets of compressor busses for a total of 10.  Am I missing something or is this just an alternative approach / tweak to his method?

• 3 months later...

Hi Florian - I know this thread is old but I've just discovered the whole "Brauerize" approach to mixing so was really excited to see these templates - thanks so much for doing this! 

I just have one quick question: on the channel named "Kick Comp" the bus that is feeding it is Bus 13 and for the life of me I can't see what is routed to that Bus. I can't see what is being sent there - I can't see where it is coming from and how the signal is getting there.

I've looked at this for an hour now and I don't get it. I can see the routing to and from each of the other Busses in the template except that one.

Its probably because I am so new to the complexity of this template but could you please let me know?

Hopefully, you will see this post somehow :-)

Thanks in advance,

Danny B.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi folks !

I wish you all a Happy New Year ! May it be filled with tons of mixing work at your studios :D

Cheers from France

Florian

Thank you for this.

I've been using Logic since 2007 and I just made my first Template today! 11/30/20 lol

Then I came here to see if people were sharing their templates.

I guess it's never too late?

I'm using the template you shared as a template for my own template!

Cheers!

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2016 at 3:54 AM, Mandubien said:

Hi folks !

Cheers from France

Florian

Brauerizing templates.zip 1.01 MB · 2,511 downloads

Both versions

So he uses 5 compressors for LV 1 and and another set of the same 5 for LV2?

On 2/9/2017 at 3:01 PM, roofdogs said:

I believe Brauer suggests only one set of compressors for the vocals, splitting into two sends that then are blended into the five compressors via sends on each bus.  In your example you show two different sets of compressor busses for a total of 10.  Am I missing something or is this just an alternative approach / tweak to his method?

On 5/30/2017 at 7:44 AM, Sneg said:

Hi Florian - I know this thread is old but I've just discovered the whole "Brauerize" approach to mixing so was really excited to see these templates - thanks so much for doing this! 

I just have one quick question: on the channel named "Kick Comp" the bus that is feeding it is Bus 13 and for the life of me I can't see what is routed to that Bus. I can't see what is being sent there - I can't see where it is coming from and how the signal is getting there.

I've looked at this for an hour now and I don't get it. I can see the routing to and from each of the other Busses in the template except that one.

Its probably because I am so new to the complexity of this template but could you please let me know?

Hopefully, you will see this post somehow :-)

Thanks in advance,

Danny B.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:15 PM, Exit2Studios said:

I have the same question. What is kick comp and where is it being fed from, as there appears to be no bus 13?

On 11/30/2020 at 12:13 PM, Totigerus said:

Thank you for this.

I've been using Logic since 2007 and I just made my first Template today! 11/30/20 lol

Then I came here to see if people were sharing their templates.

I guess it's never too late?

I'm using the template you shared as a template for my own template!

Cheers!

On 9/6/2021 at 2:04 PM, favdave said:

Hey man, This is great but can you make one with stock Logic plugins so I can replace them with UAD ones? Pleeeeeease?

On 6/25/2022 at 2:22 AM, keano12 said:

So I notice all the LV all the sends are a 100% going to the compressors. Then do you just work on each compressor one at a time? Adjust faders? 

Also I see a Vocal buss 2. Is this for the Chorus lead vocal?

12 hours ago, keano12 said:

So he uses 5 compressors for LV 1 and and another set of the same 5 for LV2?

Hey everyone! 

First, I'd like to thank everyone for your kind words when I shared the template 6 years ago! Time goes so fast!! Second, I'm really sorry for ghosting the thread for so long. Actually I've never get any alert until today. So here I am! 

I actually don't use this template anymore. After this one I used a template with top down technique, and now I use a more classic one (bottom up) with a lot of busses and more or less complex routing. 
In 2016 I subscribed to the URM Academy which is one of the very best online mixing school for rock and metal. For those who don't know how it works, at the beginning of each month you get raw tracks from professional bands (I mean top level bands like Gojira, Bring Me The Horizon, Periphery, Architects, Jason Richardson, VOLA, TesseracT and so on...), you mix the song and submit it for a contest where the top 50 mixes are chosen to win huge prizes. At the end of the month, the original mixer will remix the entire song from scratch and will show you exactly his techniques to get that sound. 
So through the years I updated my template many times to suit my mixing skills and to use something practical and convenient for me. 
Anyway, if you're interested in my last template, let me know and I'll create a new thread. 

Take care!