Switch between different pairs of monitors from Logic

When mixing, it is really usefull to be able to quickly and easily switch from one pair of monitors to another one, to check for compatibility. Obviously, your mix is going to sound different on your Auratones, your NS10's or your Genelec/Adam/Mackie... however it should be compatible: you shouldn't have the bass disappear when switching to the Auratones, or the vocal jump out of the mix when switching to the Genelec...

Anyway this is an environment that lets you easily select an Output pair on your Audio Interface to send your mix to: simply click on the button below the Output fader corresponding to the monitors you want to listen to, and it will unmute that output while muting the other two.

MonitorSwitcher.lso.zip

L9_MonitorSwitcher.logic.zip

Edited by David Nahmani

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This environment looks fantastic and is just what I want... but I can't get it to work! There is simply no output to either of my audio cards, even though there is a midi connection. The weird thing is that I can hear the logic metronome through my audio card when I try and record on a track! There is also input from the cards as I can see that audio is being sent to the audio tracks in the track mixer in record mode. What do I have to do get the 3 different outputs to send to my cards?

Is there a way to copy / import the 3 stereo outputs into my existing logic Autoload?

My setup is dual PPC G4 1.25, OS X 10.4.5, Logic 7.1.1 and I use 2 RME hammerfall DSP multifaces

• 3 months later...
Hi I downloaded the the monitor switching, but how do you place it in a project that is complete.

i have n't looked at the project yet but normally you can copy the settings from the channel - look under channel strip settings on the relevant faders

good luck, tony

• 1 year later...

Hi David,

First of all, many thanks for this! And a few questions if you don't mind! I have based my autoload around this and all is fine but recently, when logic starts up the autoload, it mutes monitor 1&2 where as it used to mute monitors 2&3. My main monitors are on monitor 1 and second pair on monitor 2. Not using 3 yet but always room for more! I have tried switching the muting in the environment and saving as template but it always loads up with my main monitors muted! I really don't know what I have done for it to adopt this behavior! Also, how important is the midi instr. in the environment to the switching? If I delete this layer, the floating window takes on another part of the environment even though there appears to be nothing in the layer!?!? (i deleted the multi instrument you had there) I noticed on importing your layer the warning from logic saying, could not find xyz midi interface which is to be expected as I have a different interface which brings me to my next question, is this used to switch monitors from a control surface? I have a mackie mcu and was hoping it is possible to do this! So sorry for the thousand questions! Hope you can help!

Cheers,

Aj.

:)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This i great thanks David is there a problem with this flle or is it meant to be like this when i open it i get an environment page open that i carnt close but i can open a new environment and open the correct page on there it seems to be a locked page i carnt select it?????

cheers

I uploaded a new Logic 9 version - see if that works better for you.

Thanks David i seem to be getting some weird behavior from it. First i opened it and it let me move the environment but still not close it. Then i opened it again i get this screen below. If i click some of the tracks in the arrange it seems to go onto the multi-output thing on the environment but now it wont let me move or close it or highlight it? strange its as if its not part of the project. :roll:

Oh and i have to quit logic to get rid of the window.

1993662039_Picture2.png.c9b50b5cf6342748d54b291c403e8123.png

• 3 years later...
i know nothing about this new-fangled environment thing :oops: before blowing my mind with this, will it work as a switch between my vrm box (usb) and my macbook pro headphone out (to m-audio av40's) ??

Yes, it will work to switch between any pairs of audio outputs.

am i gonna regret opening it ?? :)