Ski's KeySwitching Environment (input channel changer)

• 3 years later...

Thank you ski!

It works!

but I have a little problem.

I also use Vienna Ensemble, So this K/S should not work on every track.

So I have to copied your KS macro to Mixer layer (to apply individual track)

but right after copy it to mixer layer, logic crash.

I'm not sure it's only for me..

So could you verify this?

lscmusic,

Thanks for letting me know it's working. (Sometimes posting stuff in the wee hours of the morning is no guarantee of success :lol: )

I don't know what to tell you about the crashing... What I can tell you, though, is that this environment is designed to work on MIDI coming into Logic. I have no idea how it will respond if you move the Macro to be the front-end of an instrument track.

The following is my "spec" as well as some insight into the design, meaning that these are the "rules" and expected behavior of the environment I made:

• Your keyboard needs to be set to transmit on channel 1

• You have a multi-timbral plugin, and each different sound or articulation is set to respond on a different MIDI channel.

• Your multi-timbral instrument is assigned to a track, and so, to access the different sounds you have to change the channel coming into Logic. Of course you could do this from your master keyboard, but keyswitching is more convenient and allows for sounds/articulations to be switched on-the-fly.

• The environment changes the channel from ch.1 to whatever channel you select via the keyswitching keys. The MIDI channel is embedded in the notes you play, so the notes will be recorded on different MIDI channels. And you can change your mind about what articulations are played by notes by changing the channel in the Event List after the fact. For example, if you played spiccato violins on ch. 4 but later decided you wanted that part to play pizz and your pizz samples were on ch. 6, just change the channel of those notes in the editor.

• At any given time there are two unknowns: what channel you've selected, and, what channel you want to switch to. Let's say ch. 1 was sustained strings, and ch. 9 was portamento strings. If you were to hold down ch. 1 notes when switching to ch. 9, the sustained strings would hang. To prevent this problem from occurring, I designed the environment so that every time you release a note, it sends a Note Off message on all 16 channels simultaneously. Using this "brute force" method allows you to play any channel at any time and never worry about stuck notes. Fortunately, Logic doesn't record all of those Note Off messages, and thus the note lengths you play will always be accurately recorded, and your regions won't get clogged up with lots of unneeded Note Off information.

• The actual notes you use to switch channels are never recorded. The end result is a "clean" score.

• You can always switch the programming off by hitting the OFF button. When you do that, MIDI flows directly into Logic as normal.

=======

To wrap this up... I've written this explanation so you can be aware of the design and how it was intended to be used. I can't predict how it would work if it was assigned as the front end of an instrument.

Edited by ski

Thanks ski

at that time... maybe my computer was screwed up.

It's working perfectly now.

I can copy over and over to anyplace in the environment.

I'm sorry for my carelessness.

with your environment, my work flow is improved a lot.

I like to treat you beer or something if I'm not in Korea. :)

Have a nice day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was prepearing my strings template and created a keyswitcher the way i like, when i struggeled over the notes off problem.

i remembered that someone did a keyswitch projectfile here on LP Help and I used skis note off solution. which helped me to set up things faster.

However... i decided to do mine more proper and to generalize it so that it can be shared easier. I did more with text buttons which makes it more comfortable to orientate.

This demo is set up with 16 EXS Channelstrips with Jam Pack Orchestra string sounds loaded. I think most of you will have this installed.

A manuel is included. Have Fun!

SPUMD Keyswitcher.logic.zip

Made it with LP 9.3.1

Edited by SPUMD

• 1 year later...
Hi, I'm trying to get this to work with Miroslav Philharmonik, I have a female choir ensemble with 8 different articulations assigned to 8 separate MIDI channels. How do I use this Environment so I can trigger each MIDI channel using a master MIDI keyboard?

Which Keyswitch solution do you talk about?

If you have downloaded the Keyswitch solution right above your post everything should be explained in the notes tab.

I actually tried them all. I'm giving your template another go (it's the one directly above my initial post, yes?)

The part I don't understand from the notes you gave is this: Just connect a midi input into the Makro and connect it's outputs to a multi instrument or a channel splitter. I have very little experience working with Environments so please excuse my ignorance.. maybe some sort of screen shot will help?

If you have downloaded the Keyswitch solution right above your post everything should be explained in the notes tab.

I actually tried them all. I'm giving your template another go (it's the one directly above my initial post, yes?)

The part I don't understand from the notes you gave is this: Just connect a midi input into the Makro and connect it's outputs to a multi instrument or a channel splitter. I have very little experience working with Environments so please excuse my ignorance.. maybe some sort of screen shot will help?

Hmmm.. here is a

Open my Keyswitch Template and got to screenset 4.

3 environment windows are open, on the left side you will see the environment layer with the Keyswitch Macro.

The "Orchestra" object is connected to the Keyswitch Macro. It's a midi instrument, the one you see in the arrange.

What happens when you play your midi keyboard?

The Midi events go from the "Orchestra" object to the Keyswitch macro. The macro manipulates the Midi channel of the events and sends them to the monitor called "to Mixer Layer CH Splitter". This monitor is connected to a (Midi) Channel Splitter in the mixer environment layer. You will find the mixer layer on the right side, it's the window with all the channelstrips.

At the bottom you will see an object called "From Keyswitch makro". Thats the Channel Splitter object. It splits midi events by midi channels and routes them to the Channelstrips.

If you have chosen ch 4 in the keyswitch macro articulations, all midi events will leave the splitter through output 4 to the Channelstrip called EXS 4. If you choose channel 3 than it's output 3 and channelstrip 3.

Thats one option how to work with a Keyswitch Macro.

Now delete the channel splitter in the mixer layer ("delete anyway"), go to the channelstrip EXS 1 and load your Miroslav Philharmonik as a "multi output" software instrument. (not mono, not stereo)

A "multi output" software instrument has a built in channel splitter. All you have to do know is to connect the monitor "to Mixer Layer CH Splitter" with the Channelstrip (EXS1) and load the articulation into your Miroslav Philharmonic.

Hope this helps. Good luck man. :wink:

Hmmm.. here is a

Open my Keyswitch Template and got to screenset 4.

3 environment windows are open, on the left side you will see the environment layer with the Keyswitch Macro.

The "Orchestra" object is connected to the Keyswitch Macro. It's a midi instrument, the one you see in the arrange.

What happens when you play your midi keyboard?

The Midi events go from the "Orchestra" object to the Keyswitch macro. The macro manipulates the Midi channel of the events and sends them to the monitor called "to Mixer Layer CH Splitter". This monitor is connected to a (Midi) Channel Splitter in the mixer environment layer. You will find the mixer layer on the right side, it's the window with all the channelstrips.

At the bottom you will see an object called "From Keyswitch makro". Thats the Channel Splitter object. It splits midi events by midi channels and routes them to the Channelstrips.

If you have chosen ch 4 in the keyswitch macro articulations, all midi events will leave the splitter through output 4 to the Channelstrip called EXS 4. If you choose channel 3 than it's output 3 and channelstrip 3.

Thats one option how to work with a Keyswitch Macro.

Now delete the channel splitter in the mixer layer ("delete anyway"), go to the channelstrip EXS 1 and load your Miroslav Philharmonik as a "multi output" software instrument. (not mono, not stereo)

A "multi output" software instrument has a built in channel splitter. All you have to do know is to connect the monitor "to Mixer Layer CH Splitter" with the Channelstrip (EXS1) and load the articulation into your Miroslav Philharmonic.

Hope this helps. Good luck man. :wink:

THANK YOU! Because of your wonderful and detailed guidance/explanation(s), I've finally figure it out and I got it to work! I have asked many people how to do the key switching on this and many other forums and no one came through. Thank you so much for being patient and taking time out to explain this to me in a clear and concise manner. You're a champ!

Oh, and by the way, I'm not a man.. ;)

(...)

A "multi output" software instrument has a built in channel splitter.(...)

I got to correct my self... software instruments that are multi timberal use to have a bult in midi channel splitter. It doesn't matter if you load them as a mono, stereo or multi output instrument it only matters if they are multi timberal or not.