The elusive MPC grooves for Logic

Your asking a question that I've kind of wondered about, in a way. The grooves aren't random; if you look at them in the Matrix you can get a good idea of what they're doing which is an overall swing feel evolving over four bars and it kind of rushes a bit after it gets out of the gate and then comes back by the end of the fourth bar.

I think where you might have problems in keeping the transients lined up is if you have quantized one section of kicks beginning at say bar 9 and the other section beginning at bar 11, then they might not match up because of the rolling, slightly rushing feel of the middle of the MPC groove. The first set of kicks will be rushing by bar 11 but the second set will start bang on the beat. But I haven't really tested this. This is based on the assumption that the grooves will always begin at whatever place your region begins, which makes sense to me.

So to ensure that your kicks are lining up, just make sure you quantize both sets from the same bar. Hope this helps!

thanks a lot man, that makes a whole lot of sense

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

hey guys dont mean to be a pain having trouble gett some of these grooves to work. I have downloaded must of the templates i could find got them into logic no problem all sat in a folder but when i try them only about 3 and a half of the groove folders work.

I dragged them straight in from the other project files from the downloads which they seemed to be working in at least it picked them up. I have all the tracks on a no output settings (not sure whether this will change anything) I have tried using only certain files so it dosent take to much space up on the quantize menu that didnt work.

the only thing i can think of is if they have to be on midi tracks but im really not that shure about doin that,,,,

the main ones that arnt working are-----

mpc6011 swing template (loads half way into 8th 50% folder then stops?)

ASR10_Grooves

Korg DDD Grooves

and Oberheim,,,Grooves

Not shure if anyone else had the same problem or if you will be able to help.

Cheers Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

hi iv tried some of the ones that didnt work on mine and they work first time of a friends mac. Im really stuck with this.

also iv im trying to get groove templates to work in a project that iv allready started this dosent seem to work at all they just wont show up in the quantise menu???? :(

Just read this in the manual.....

Using Groove Templates Across Projects

If you wish to create and retain a number of quantization templates for use in several

projects, follow these steps:

To use a groove template in several projects:

1 Copy or create your source MIDI regions in one project.

2 Name these regions as desired, with the Text tool.

3 Use the Options > Groove Templates > Make Groove Template function on each source

region.

4 Pack all of these regions into a folder (and rename the folder to Grooves, for example).

5 Use File > Save As Template.

Use this template as your project starting point, whenever you wish to access these

quantization templates.

Does this mean that if the templates are saved elsewhere in a project template i cannot use them in an existing project that dosent have them in :?:

• 2 years later...

Thanks to the creator of the original file, this is fantastic, and I think the timing issue that I'm lacking by not using the MPC was really messing with my sound, this helps a LOT...

one question though

i most of my beats these days in double-time (as in, instead of 90bpm, 180bpm), so i can get at the details easier, this groove template works fantastic with 50% on the notes, and i'd like to go through beats i've already worked on and apply this to them, some of them however already have a swing in the drums, and it seems like when i apply the quantizing at other percentages, its not moving them...

sorry that's probably confusing, but basically, will the groove templates work on tracks that have twice the bpm, and if not, is there some way to correct for this?

Thanks, much appreciated.