The elusive MPC grooves for Logic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well - I'll be downloading these and checking them out - be comparing them to my own - made them about 4 years ago from my MPC2000xl- i'm just selfish and held on to them (my little secret weapon)

As the cat is out of the bag here's how i made mine:

Get the drum machine of your choice

Program a part that matches the quantise value (16's for 1/16th, 8's for 1/8th etc...)

Set the machine to trigger via MIDI, or if not available pick the sharpest sound you have

If MIDI Record the MIDI into Logic, If audio then record the audio

Select MIDI part and make groove template (name the part first) -options>groove template>make groove template

Audio will have to go through recycle, chop, export midi file, back into logic and then set as groove template

Put all into a folder and keep on your autoload page (otherwise they'll dissapear)

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nooooooo..... The Logic swing is static, repeating the same variation every beat. The MPC grooves are fluid, changing over a four bar phrase, rushing a little here, dragging a bit there. If you load one up and look at it in the Matrix with enough magnification you'll see what I mean. Or you could just listen to it. :)

63% in an MPC groove is a generalization. 16C swing in Logic is the same from beat to beat.

Nooooooo..... The Logic swing is static, repeating the same variation every beat. The MPC grooves are fluid, changing over a four bar phrase, rushing a little here, dragging a bit there. If you load one up and look at it in the Matrix with enough magnification you'll see what I mean. Or you could just listen to it. :)

63% in an MPC groove is a generalization. 16C swing in Logic is the same from beat to beat.

Camillo,

Thanks for your response. I didn't know the mpc quantized like that. Does it work like that for regular 16th and 32nd notes too, or just swing %?

adavis

AFAIK, just the swing. At least the ones that I have....

I'm not sure what you guys mean? The groove is its own quantize setting, so if you select it it will quantize your notes accordingly to how that groove was programmed. You can always change adjust the swing with the extended parameters, but if you don't you'll just quantize to the exact groove pattern.

Which is why there's the Transform window.... :)

AFAIK, just the swing. At least the ones that I have....

I'm not sure what you guys mean? The groove is its own quantize setting, so if you select it it will quantize your notes accordingly to how that groove was programmed. You can always change adjust the swing with the extended parameters, but if you don't you'll just quantize to the exact groove pattern.

Hadn't thought of that... so I can have the straight 16ths with the waves of rushing and dragging. Cool.

Cloggy, can you make the transform do a wave? I thought it was more of a random thing to muck up a groove that's a bit too clean?

Yeah,but it is really quite a powerful tool if you want to get a bit serious with it.

I/m no expert,I'm afraid but do try to play with it occasionally.

How far in and out do you need to go?

Couldn't you varyu the delay (midi parameter ) over different regions?

Perhaps in Hyper edit...

• 2 months later...
Good evening, Im new 2 da forum...I've been reading on how 2 import da groove template...i'm not doing it right....do i have 2 import into one of my songs that i have loaded...please help a brotha figure it out....its kind of embarassing. Thank u 4 ur time.

• 4 weeks later...

Groove templates need to be stored with the song that uses them. You could also have a separate folder for grooves built in to your autoload, which is where I keep my MPCs and homebrewed grooves. I hide the folder so it's out of the way and when I want to use those grooves I just select the folder or a particular groove in my grooves folder. So for instance, I have all the MPCs in one folder and when I select that folder and use Options>Create groove template, all the grooves in that folder will appear in my quantize options.

I've set up my grooves folder to have three folders so far: MPCs (16 note), MPCs (8th note) and my own grooves in the third.

Groove templates need to be stored with the song that uses them. You could also have a separate folder for grooves built in to your autoload, which is where I keep my MPCs and homebrewed grooves. I hide the folder so it's out of the way and when I want to use those grooves I just select the folder or a particular groove in my grooves folder. So for instance, I have all the MPCs in one folder and when I select that folder and use Options>Create groove template, all the grooves in that folder will appear in my quantize options.

I've set up my grooves folder to have three folders so far: MPCs (16 note), MPCs (8th note) and my own grooves in the third.

Do you mean track folder on the arrange page or system folder?

• 1 month later...
thanks for the grooves, i got 'em working. one question tho...if i quantize two separate drum tracks with the same groove and its imperative that the transients of kicks in both tracks match, will i have a problem? i mean, are the grooves a random kind of thing, or do they cause a definite pre-specified change based on each bar and beat??

Your asking a question that I've kind of wondered about, in a way. The grooves aren't random; if you look at them in the Matrix you can get a good idea of what they're doing which is an overall swing feel evolving over four bars and it kind of rushes a bit after it gets out of the gate and then comes back by the end of the fourth bar.

I think where you might have problems in keeping the transients lined up is if you have quantized one section of kicks beginning at say bar 9 and the other section beginning at bar 11, then they might not match up because of the rolling, slightly rushing feel of the middle of the MPC groove. The first set of kicks will be rushing by bar 11 but the second set will start bang on the beat. But I haven't really tested this. This is based on the assumption that the grooves will always begin at whatever place your region begins, which makes sense to me.

So to ensure that your kicks are lining up, just make sure you quantize both sets from the same bar. Hope this helps!