A Compare button: alternate mutes on 2 tracks

Here's a compare button I made for myself a few years back. I had to constantly compare Track 1 (the "Original") with what was coming back from a PSR keyboard (Input 1-2).

You can change both audio objects to anything you'd like or steal the transformer and switch and cable them in your own template.

Hope you enjoy it, very useful to compare mixes for example.

Pressing Command ~ allows you to toggle two environment windows: one showing the cabling, and another showing the audio mixer with the 'Original' Track 1. so you can see the muting alternating between PSR and Original.

Compare button.lso.zip

Edited by David Nahmani

That's an interesting idea Dave, until now I've been content to assign the multitrack to busses and the busses to a group, with the reference track assigned its own buss. From there it's just as simple as muting/soloing between to busses.

But this way seems a bit more intelligent in the sense that, it really streamlines the A/B process. I'm thinking about taking that idea on.

I take it you just "transform" the solo event from one track and invert it someway so that it has the opposite effect on the receiving track....???

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

hey guys, i know this is a very old topic, but one i hadn't solved until today, inspired by the previous post. I've spent the last few months creating and expanding my library of Smart Control Channel Strip Presets and it occurred to me today that i could use one of the switches on my Master Control Panel to both Solo and Mute the track by creating one mapping to toggle the Channel Mute and one mapping to toggle the Channel Solo, inverting them opposite one another. that switch is also linked to a button on one of my controllers, so it's easy to grab whether the Smart Control Panel is open on the screen or not.

KD

hey guys, i know this is a very old topic, but one i hadn't solved until today, inspired by the previous post. I've spent the last few months creating and expanding my library of Smart Control Channel Strip Presets and it occurred to me today that i could use one of the switches on my Master Control Panel to both Solo and Mute the track by creating one mapping to toggle the Channel Mute and one mapping to toggle the Channel Solo, inverting them opposite one another. that switch is also linked to a button on one of my controllers, so it's easy to grab whether the Smart Control Panel is open on the screen or not.

KD

If you're using Logic Pro X you don't need any of that.

Mute the reference track. When you then click Solo on that same reference track it plays it and mutes the rest of the song (normal behavior). Once you remove the Solo, it goes back to Mute.

That wasn't working like that for me. A solo-ed muted track stayed muted. Perhaps I had some pref poorly set, but that's why I put it on a SC switch.

Logic 9 wasn't like that. And I'm not sure if the first version of Logic X was like that or not, because I only switched from 9 a few months ago so it was already working that way...

But I know that with 10.2.4 it was already a feature, because that's the one I started using. I always wanted that so it's very handy