Presonus FaderPort and Logic Pro X: How to Setup for 100% Functionality

• 1 month later...
HI Scottkrk. I'm just trying to figure out if this thread pertains to what I'm after. I have an original Presonous Class Faderport. I love this unit and have no want t upgrade. WHat I am trying to work out is how to make the motorised "Fader" control CC's in the automation lane other than just the volume. Is This is what I"m hoping to achieve but obviously for Logic

• 3 years later...

Are there any more recemt posts on this topic? I just purchased the Presonus Faderport 2 to use within Logic Pro X. My main goal is to use it for slider automation of different instrument parameters, e.g. Modulation for strings, but it seems to default to recording Volume no matter what I do. And with the thousands of MIDI setting permutations, I can't seem to find a solution. Any suggestions on what to do? Thx.

Pretty sure this is by design - the X-Touch One is a similar controller and does the same thing - this is because handling plugin parameters is a more advanced part of the MCU spec that requires a lot more buttons and controls that these units don't have.

I did hack the XT-One to be able to do this, but it's not for the faint hearted, and relies on a feature of the XT-One that I'm not sure the Faderport has to make it workable. I can go into more details (or link the thread where I discussed this) but it may not be appropriate if the Faderport's fader only has one permanent mode - so basically, they are only designed to adjust the volume of the selected track, and that's what you get.

Thanks, des. If that's true it would be a disappointment. I was on w/ Sweetwater help today and they couldn't solve it so they are reaching out to Presonus. If it really is only volume and pan automation controls, I'll need to return the unit, as I was misinformed. Ironically, there are YT videos on the topic that clearly state that other MIDI parameters can be mapped to the slider on the Faderport, but they never show it. They only say it and then demonstrate how the volume can be controlled.

Follow-up for those interested.  Presonus replied that the Faderport CANNOT be reassigned to other parameters. I'm stuck with volume and pan. I'm returning the unit to Sweetwater and will find something else. 

Thanks. But I want to slider automate dynamics on strings and horns instead of drawing them later. And I want to be able to bend notes. My current Yamaha P-155 doesn't have any wheels or sliders, so should I just get another keyboard w/ those types of continuous MIDI inputs?

4 minutes ago, jdc123 said:

But I want to slider automate dynamics on strings and horns instead of drawing them later.

That's not plugin parameter automation though, that's just sending basic MIDI CC's - any generic MIDI controller can do that.

4 minutes ago, jdc123 said:

My current Yamaha P-155 doesn't have any wheels or sliders, so should I just get another keyboard w/ those types of continuous MIDI inputs?

It's certainly an option, if you want pitch and mod wheels...

• Like 1