Presonus FaderPort and Logic Pro X: How to Setup for 100% Functionality

Functionality

All functionality as described in the Manual

+ Output Button switches the fader to control stereo out channel strip

+ Additional Controller Mode, fader can control any parameter, currently set to smart control 1. To access Controller Mode, first press the Output Button and then press the Bank Button

My FaderPort Setup

1. I bought the FaderPort a couple of weeks ago and updated to the 'latest' Firmware 1.3.8 http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210040083-FaderPort-1-3-8-firmware-Motorized-Fader-Solution  (See post 13 below for more info)

2. I added the FaderPort 64bit Bundle to LPX and LP9.1.8  (attached below, as it is no longer available at the Presonus site)

3. See my signature for my computer and software details.

How to Try

****If you haven't had experience with logic control surface preferences files read this post

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=397816 ****

1. Make sure you have quit LPX then save a copy of your existing User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs file.

2. Download the attached com.apple.logic.pro.cs  file and copy into the User/Library/Preferences directory.

3. I suggest you create a new song add 24 tracks and test the functionality before using it on existing songs.

4. If something goes wrong quit Logic and put your original com.apple.logic.pro.cs back in User/Library/Preferences.

5. Let us know if it works on your set-up.

com.apple.logic.pro.cs.zip

FaderPort.bundle.zip

Edited by scottkrk

The two solutions Presonus provide, HUI or the 64bit bundle, are both badly broken, LPX support is obviously not high on their list of priorities and Presonus tech support wasn't very helpful.

However, the hardware is well built and exactly what I wanted, so I spent hours of trial and error to get it working and I am happy to share it with others.

I have added a couple of useful Key commands to the controller mode.

Controller Mode (Output Button then Bank Button)

Mute Button - shows smart controls

Solo Button - shows Automation Preferences (useful for setting the Automation Quick Access Control

Rec Button - toggles Automation Quick Access Control

Update Apple have fixed this bug in 10.3 :-) broken in 10.3.1 :-( and fixed in 10.3.2   :D, broken in 10.4 :-(and fixed in 10.4.1 :D

Note there appears to be a bug in Logic's control surface feedback for the "Show/Hide Smart Controls" key command, the feedback is correct when you enter controller mode (light on if Smart Controls are visible and light off if smart controls are hidden) but when you use the button show or hide the smart controls the feedback is incorrect (i.e. light is on when the Smart controls are hidden and off when they are visible).

com.apple.logic.pro.cs.zip

Edited by scottkrk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is fantastic. Thank you so much for the effort you put into this. My new Faderport works perfectly with LPX now.

Tip for new users: Make sure you use a somewhat older computer with a USB2.0 port to update the firmware on the Faderport. I can confirm that updating does not work on a macBookPro with USB3.0 ports. After updating the firmware, the faderport works great on a USB3.0 port directly on my MacBookPro. It does not seem to work well via my USB hub.

Again, thank you!

• 2 months later...

OMFG! What a PITA this unit has been. had it 24hrs and have spent at least 6 of them trying to get it working to a usable state.

Tried everything but couldn't get the fader working.

Did the firmware update, grabbed you cs file (thanks by the way)

Until I INSERTED A USB2 HUB BETWEEN THE FADERPORT AND THE MBP USB3 PORT.

Thanks

It's been a long road and I was on the verge of taking it back for a refund. 

Now it's almost fantastic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought it was too good to be true.....

When using Latch to append automation the Faderport does not send the signal to Logic that I am still holding the fader. So I get the "jump back and forth like crazy" thing.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thought it was too good to be true.....

When using Latch to append automation the Faderport does not send the signal to Logic that I am still holding the fader. So I get the "jump back and forth like crazy" thing.

Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like you are in Touch Mode, what mode is indicated in LPX?

Choose automation modes

Automation modes determine how automation tracks are treated. Automation is either being read or being written. You can independently set the automation mode for each track. You can also trim automation values and record relative automation data.

• Read: Plays back all automation that exists on the track. If volume data exists, for example, the Volume fader will move during playback, following the prerecorded automation on the track. You can’t change the value of the chosen automation parameter by moving controls when in Read mode.

• Touch: Plays back automation in the same way as Read mode. You can modify the value of the chosen automation parameter by moving controls in Touch mode. After the fader or knob is released, the parameter follows existing automation on the track.

• Latch: Works like Touch mode, but after the fader or knob is released, the new parameter value replaces existing automation on the track.

• Write: Erases existing automation on the track as the playhead passes over it. Records the new control movement or deletes the existing data if you do nothing.

• Trim: Offsets the value of the existing automation (Volume, Pan, Send levels) by adjusting it up or down by the amount you move the fader or control. Works in combination with Touch and Latch automation modes.

• Relative: Adds a secondary automation curve that offsets the existing primary curve for the selected parameter (Volume, Pan, Send levels). Both the primary and secondary curves are visible, and can be edited. Works in combination with Touch, Latch, and Write automation modes.

Thanks scottkrk. Happens in Touch and Latch. I've been using Logic for over 20 years...since it was Notator Logic on the Atari. I'm pretty aware of the automation modes. :)

I think it's a Faderport issue. After some reading it seems that others have the same problem.

Hi Asinla,  it is difficulty to tell the experience level of users on the forum., I thought "jump back and forth like crazy"  could be a description of an inexperienced user, who was expecting Latch/Write behaviour but was inadvertently in Touch mode.

Personally, I can report Touch and Latch work as described above on my setup, you might want to use Midi Monitor to see what your Faderport is sending to Logic

My Faderport is sending aftertouch when my finger is put on the fader or removed:

21:00:26.943 From FaderPort Aftertouch 1 G8 1

21:00:27.558 From FaderPort Aftertouch 1 G8 0

And control data for when the fader is moved:

21:09:54.915 From FaderPort Control 1 Bank Select (fine) 48

21:09:54.959 From FaderPort Control 1 Bank Select 2

21:09:54.959 From FaderPort Control 1 Bank Select (fine) 64

21:09:54.974 From FaderPort Control 1 Bank Select 2

21:09:54.974 From FaderPort Control 1 Bank Select (fine) 48

Good luck with your trouble shooting.

Thanks scottkrk.

In between work today I'll insert the midi monitor and see what's going on. It works so well otherwise! Just seems to not send data while i am still touching the fader.

Your prefs were invaluable when i set it up so thanks very much again for that!

I'll keep you posted.

Hey scottkrk...

Can you confirm the following if you have a moment please?

1. Write automation in Latch mode. Volume automation is fine.

2. Keep the channel in Latch mode and try overwrite the automation you have just created. Try moving the fader then keeping it still BUT keeping your finger still on it.

Does this overwrite the old automation when you stop moving the fader yet keep your finger on it?

That's the big problem I'm having. Not the initial automation creating but the overwriting of previous data.

Thanks so much!

-A

My faderport is in for warranty repair, I had a hardware fault with the pan encoder sending random data and want to get it fixed before the warranty runs out, so I can't help until it get it back.

My thought would be to use midi monitor and see what the faderport is sending to logic. If it sending aftertouch as described above it is doing what it should.

Please note midi monitor also lets you see what logic is sending to the faderport.

Might also be useful to ask the question in the main forum, more people will see it and can comment with their experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I finally finished my series and have time to get back to this.

I checked using midi monitor and it seems the Faderport is intermittent in its continuous data.

Sometimes when I leave my finger on the fader without moving it it will continue to transmit that data (latch) and sometimes it stops transmitting.

I don't know if this is an issue with only my faderport or a larger Mac issue.

I'm open to suggestions.

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU SO MUCH -- this worked immediately.

A question : I dont have a Modulation wheel on my MIDI controller. And i would LOVE to be able to user the Faderport to do automate Modulation... 

Am I right in saying that your "Additional Controller Mode" could allow me to do this? You mentioned that you set it to Smart Controls, but how would it be possible to set it to Modulation ??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stoof

• 3 weeks later...

Hey - I'd love to get more detail about using the fader to control different parameters as well. I'm interested primarily in quickly switching between volume, pan, and sends - writing animation in Touch mode for each parameter. Is this possible with this "Additional Controller Mode"? (haven't bought the Faderport yet, but I will if I can use the hardware to do this)

Thanks! ~ Mike 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For those asking about further customisation it has been 18 months since I did the CS file and I have forgotten most of the details but I am happy to share my approach.

• Use MIDI Monitor to tell you what MIDI the Faderport is sending to Logic and what MIDI Logic is sending to the FaderPort.
  • Read the Logic Pro X Control Surface Support and understand "Controller Assignments Expert view” and particularly “Use zones and modes”.
  • Always back up, version and document your .cs files as you go.
  • Be prepared to spend some time if you don't have any programming experience.

It would be great if Presonus and Apple worked together and provided native support especially considering the FaderPort range has expanded with an 8 and 16 fader version, but I am not holding my breath ....

• 1 month later...

Welll this is awful......

I got an NI S88 Keyboard Controller and after adding it to Control Surfaces, my Faderport will no longer go into Controller Mode ( Output and Bank buttons ) which means the automation fader modes are not working. Or any other added functionality.

I have removed all Control Surfaces form Logic, started fropm the beginning adding the Faderport.bundle, then adding scottkrk's .cs pref file and still nothing.

Any ideas anyone?

• 7 months later...
Hi everyone! Thanks Scott for making this available—it seems really great! I just got my FaderPort and followed your installation instructions and, while most of the functionality you described is there, the motor on the fader is no longer working and the feedback lights under the buttons aren't turning on. Am I missing something? I hope so because I'd love to be able to use your preferences!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey my friends

It's been a looong time since I first read this thread and the solution always worked for me! However - since an update recently (I'm still in Logic Pro 10.4.8. due to stuck with macOS High Sierra). Right now the faderport does not work properly anymore. Still all the buttons are working correct, but the motorfader is doing weird things. For example. The track that is selected is always bouncing around 0.5dB in Volume. But the worst is, that if a switch to a track from another, then the volume setting gets copied from the one before, as if the motorfader is not able to come down, so the software fader just gies up. Very annoying and therefore useless....

Probably anyone here has a solution for this bug?

I'm actually not sure if I'm responsible for the bug cause I installed the Presonus Universal Control Software and updated the firmware of the Hardware itself. It could be that the bug comes from there... I just had the idea that Presonus somehow after that many years brings an "official" running supported version of the driver.... So that's obviously not the case.... :-(