VEP6 Macro-based Multiport/SinglePort Templates

So I've come across one issue while using the new AU3 template: even though VEP recognizes tempo info from LPX, my Kontakt instances do not. This is a big problem for libraries like Signal, Rise & Hit etc. Yes, "Ext" is selected in Kontakt's master pane. I haven't tested other tempo sync'd VSTs yet but I'd love for someone to see if they can replicate my issue.

The issue is not present when I connect to my VEP server with the regular stereo VEP plugin, so maybe it has something to do with MIDI clock only being sent over certain ports. At this point I'm in over my head. :)

• 1 month later...

I replaced the AU3 templates. Some stuff changed in LPX 10.4.5 related to the way instrument channels are handled, and though these kind of worked, they were created in 10.4.4 and the project files were not in my view completely compatible with logic 10.4.5+. It mainly effected the click channel.

Anyway, see post above for a better way to create AU3 templates ad-hoc as you go, and a new starting 1270 track starter template. VSL's AU3 templates are also negatively effected.

Instructions: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=143416

Edited by Dewdman42

works fine here. Something about how you're using Logic. Please provide more details about the exact steps you're taking.

Hey Dewdman, thanks for all the heavy lifting you are doing on this and my apologies that I am dealing with other things and not giving feedback.

In your opinion, if one s building articulation sets in Logic Pro for VE Pro with 16 articulations and is perfectly content with that, is there any advantage to using AU3 over AU2 or even VST in VE Pro 7?

I just updated the post again with a 1270 track AU3 template that I recommend everyone start out with. Read new thread as of 1 minute ago to understand the issues.

New thread here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=143416

To your question....

If you are content to never use more than midi port 1, then I see no reason AU2 wouldn't be fine. AU2 also supports the undocumented aux track trick, which AU3 does not in Logic Pro as of this writing.

With AU2, as you know, you can have up to 16 channels per VEP instance, so that could be 16 instruments or one instrument with up to 16 articulations, which is probably how you tend to use it in your one-track-per-vep-instance mode of operation.

On the other hand, aside from the missing aux track trick, I have had no problems with the AU3 plugin and it does support up to 127 midi channels per VEP instance through 8 ports, so that gives you options for more articulations, or more instruments, etc.. It is for now slightly laborious to setup compared to 16 part multi-timbral, until Apple will hopefully figure out they need to give us the option to create up to 127 multi-timbral parts from the new tracks wizard. But that should not effect you at all if you are constrained to 16 parts anyway.

I do think AU3 will be the future for VEP and I see no problem in using that version as long as you don't need the aux track trick.

VST is not applicable to LPX. In Cubase S1 and other hosts, you can use VST3 to get 768 midi channels per VEP instance.

Edited by Dewdman42

well also, to be complete on the answer, we are unaware about internals of either AU2 or AU3 plugin to know if one is somehow more efficient or reliable then another, etc.. VSL is still calling the AU3 plugin "beta" FWIW. I haven't had any problems with it though and like I said, you can still use the AU3 in exactly the same manner as you've been using the AU2 one... no change in workflow. Might be worth trying it out for a while, even in your preferred workflow... I do think it will only be a matter of time, and not too much, before the AU2 version of the plugin will be deprecated.

well also, to be complete on the answer, we are unaware about internals of either AU2 or AU3 plugin to know if one is somehow more efficient or reliable then another, etc.. VSL is still calling the AU3 plugin "beta" FWIW. I haven't had any problems with it though and like I said, you can still use the AU3 in exactly the same manner as you've been using the AU2 one... no change in workflow. Might be worth trying it out for a while, even in your preferred workflow... I do think it will only be a matter of time, and not too much, before the AU2 version of the plugin will be deprecated.

True, but since they are different plug-ins, I would have to rebuild the VE Pro templates and re-save the patches in the Logic Pro library. That's a lot of work unless there is a clear advantage.

• 1 year later...

VePro7 added support for AU3 with multi midi ports in a much better way. So much better. Highly recommend you upgrade.

You'll have to describe in more exact details what you have done and having a problem and/or post the LPX project you're having a problem with, in order to help you. make things work right. It works, but since its not working for you, then it depends on what you did to get where you are.

• 1 year later...

This project is coming back alive now that Apple broke compatibility with VePro7.AU3 in the recent LogicPro 10.7.5 update.  These multi port macro templates seem to work fine with LogicPro 10.7.5 and VePro7.AU2.  I am updating one of the templates a bit and will post it later here.  Hopefully Apple/VSL will fix AU3 compability soon in LogicPro though as I still feel that is preferred approach.

Edited by Dewdman42