Incremental Tempo Changes in Logic

I've done a number of searches on this forum to see if this topic has been covered. I'm a drummer, triggering the playback of Logic sequences with a foot switch. What I'd like to be able to do is use two drum pads to make incremental changes in the tempo of Logic: one pad for -2 BPM and one pad for +2. That way if the band is pushing or pulling the tempo during a performance I can adjust playback speed by hitting the corresponding pad.

I can see that Logic allows me to create tempo sets and in the attached example I'm using a mouse to change from 74 to 76 BPM. Problem is I cannot find a way to map this to a particular key command or assign it to an incoming midi message from a drum pad. Any ideas?

337513894_TempoChange.gif.9d97f41ba3d039a3014369fb050a1060.gif

Yes that's indeed closer to the solution. If the band drifts speed-wise I can re-sync the metronome using tap-tempo but for the period in which I'm hitting the pad I'm a one-handed drummer. Not a complete deal-breaker but am still seeking the one-strike answer. Thanks for the ideas! Edited by progrocker

I'm going to try both of these suggestions guys. Thanks so much!

Here's your X-Mas gift: the attached file is the Environment to increase or decrease the project's playback tempo by +/- 1bpm.

It is currently set to increase when you hit a C3 (middle C) and/or decrease when you hit a B2 (the left next note, or half step below) on a keyboard.

In order to use same (after decompressing it),

open one of your project to be tempo controlled,

and import the Environment from the provided project (attached file).

or

Alternately you could also load it alongside your own project,

open an Environment window, select the Click&Ports layer;

then select the various elements (objects) in my project's layer that differs from your own project's (Environment Click&Ports layer)

and Option-drag them to yours.

Finally, all there is left to do is to connect the "Monitor Input Splitter" object to your "Input Notes" object, as shown below:

1618667720_TempoFaderobjectEnvironmentcablinglaytout.thumb.png.6d0bd4ba8aa164353b772c3b7336103e.png

If you wish to tinker with its various components and/or understand how it works here are the effective objects settings.

The Monitor Input Splitter is a simple Monitor object which requires no special settings.

The TransDECREmenter:and TransINCREmenter are Transformer objects, they transform the notes events into PC events and filter out the Notes offs ones. Pay attention to the Mode: (selected at the top of the Transformer dialog):

1668091665_TransformerDECREmenterobjectssettings.png.435bb6142e55eb494fa78762a5e92ae6.png

1987766583_ransformerINCREmenterobjectssettings.png.67bc62a8e4cef9ca73365c0b287fb787.png

The Fader Bang 99 - 126 and Fader Bang 99 - 124 are Buttons objects used to trigger the required value emission (called Fader Bang! Meta event) from the Fader Interface object to the Tempo Fader object:

796372701_FaderBang99-124objectssettings.png.5ee58b4e0d849457ac336e986adceebe.png

2015438750_FaderBang99-126objectssettings.png.7f188387939f58010121337282f246ea.png

Finally, the Fader Interface (a regular Fader object) and the Tempo Fader object:

1554592128_FaderInterfaceobjectssettings.png.404f5f280f7a5483c06ba07ada6e3637.png

352954019_TempoFaderobjectssettings.png.c8aafe0063dcc07043d78bc0f7e2207e.png

Note that the Tempo Fader object output's prong does not need to be connected to the Sequencer Input object, to actually adjust the project's tempo. However if you wish to eventually record (in your project) the tempo changes/fluctuations generated by the Tempo Fader[/i] object, you would have to connect its output's prong to the Sequencer Input's input...

Tempo Fader Object (value + or - 1) controlled via Note events.zip

Thank you so much, Atlas007. Between you and fuzzfilth I got it done. Ironically I was busy figuring it all out while you were preparing and delivering my Christmas present. Yep, our solutions are basically the same. In the spirit of giving I've attached a screenshot of my new environment with some info bubbles. Great challenge!

IncrementalTempo.thumb.png.a9259b0b4f83485c30bcfb9b5ac120bb.png

• 6 months later...
Thank you so much, Atlas007. Between you and fuzzfilth I got it done. Ironically I was busy figuring it all out while you were preparing and delivering my Christmas present. Yep, our solutions are basically the same. In the spirit of giving I've attached a screenshot of my new environment with some info bubbles. Great challenge!

How were you able to reduce the Tempo Fader's lowest bpm figure? When I create that Fader, it bottoms out at 50 bpm, which isn't much help when trying to create rubato in a piece that begins at 55 bpm.

Thanks,

Sean...

IncrementalTempo.png

So change everything to 6/8 from 12/8?

Not necessarily.

The Environment being based on MIDI, objects (like faders) abide to MIDI specs which spans from 1 to 127 (or 16129 in extended specs). So originally, Lengeling opted to remain in the former range (1~127) and decided for practical reason to span it between 50 to 177, which is the most common tempo range. Nevertheless, as one could understand, that is a compromise...

In order to circumvent that limitation, as long as the sought realtime tempo range to record is within 127, one could simply adapt the recorded material to fit it.

IOW, if your already recorded music is at 50bpm, double the project set tempo to 100.

Then, adapt the playback to its original feel, by halfing the speed of the events playback (spacing and lengthing them accordingly).

That could easily be achieved by time stretching the regions (Option-dragging the right region's edge), or using the appropriate Transform function (which is already available as Half Speed, for MIDI material).

Anyhow, depending of the tempo changes to be recorded/programmed in your projects, there are other methods which might be worth considering to explore.