A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

David Nahmani
Site Admin
Topic Author

Velocity Curves: Draw Velocity as you would Automation

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:48 pm

This templates, inspired by the one that lets you Control your Samples' Velocity with your Mod Wheel, goes one step further. It lets you, once your MIDI Region has been recorded, redraw the velocity of your samples using Hyperdraw.

You can now access all the S curves and concave, convex curves available to you when drawing Automation, except you are now automating the Velocity of your MIDI notes.

Once again, useful for orchestral composers who like to draw complex curvy crescendos and decrescendos... Enjoy!
Attachments
VelocityCurves.lso.zip
(20.81 KiB) Downloaded 1275 times
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.4 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.5.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 10.15.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM

bailhe

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:35 pm

Nifty! Thanks.
Jacques Bailhé
Mac dual quad Pro 3.2ghz, 32gb RAM, Logic 10.4.1, Sibelius, Apogee Ensemble FW, Spitfire Audio, Native Instruments, Chris Hein Horns, Kirk Hunter libraries, MOTU Midi Time Piece AV, Korg OASYS, Line 6, etc.
http://soundcloud.com/jacques-bailhe

julianest

Re: Velocity Curves: Draw Velocity as you would Automation

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:02 pm

This is great! Thank you!

Now I'm a complete noob in midi and just started using Logic. How con add this into a project I'm currently working on? If you can give me a quick explenation on this, I will appreciate it very much.
I'm using Logic x 10.0.5.

Again, this is awesome.

Cheers.

David Nahmani
Site Admin
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Open the project I attached in the original post of this thread, select the three objects you can see in the environment, press Command-C (Copy) and close the project.

Open your project, choose Window > Open MIDI Environment, go to an empty layer, and press Command-P (Paste). Drag and drop the object "Inst 1+Velo Curves" onto a track header, and cable "Set Velocity" into the desired channel strip by option-clicking its output triangle and choosing the channel strip.
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

Blue Breakfast

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:54 am

Hi David, I've been trying to follow your instructions (Velocity Curves: Draw Velocity as you would Automation) without success - I've got as far as cabling the "set velocity" part of the created object to the instrument I want to automate but I don't see velocity (or anything that corresponds to it) on the created object's parameters in the automation page. What am I missing?

siderealxxx

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:28 am

Hm, I'm also looking at this and not quite getting it working in another project. Also is it possible to effectively 'render' the modulation data back to MIDI velocity data somehow? Would be great to get all this working as drawing velocity curves can be quite useful :-)
iMac Late 2012 / OS X 10.11.6 / Logic Pro X 10.3.1 / RME FF800
Macbook Pro, G5, iPad Air, iPhone 4s, etc.

David Nahmani
Site Admin
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Blue Breakfast wrote:
Hi David, I've been trying to follow your instructions (Velocity Curves: Draw Velocity as you would Automation) without success - I've got as far as cabling the "set velocity" part of the created object to the instrument I want to automate but I don't see velocity (or anything that corresponds to it) on the created object's parameters in the automation page. What am I missing?

You don't use Track Automation, you use MIDI Draw (a lot of Logic users used to refer to it as "region based automation" back when I wrote this template) to draw your velocity curves. The region is already in MIDI Draw view for MIDI CC#15 which is the one I"m using, so just zoom out and edit the automation.

You can also open the region in any MIDI editor and use that to edit the MIDI CC#15 automation. 
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

David Nahmani
Site Admin
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:11 pm

siderealxxx wrote:
Hm, I'm also looking at this and not quite getting it working in another project. 

Do you want to upload a copy of your project so I could have a look?
siderealxxx wrote:
Also is it possible to effectively 'render' the modulation data back to MIDI velocity data somehow? Would be great to get all this working as drawing velocity curves can be quite useful :-)

Yes, you need to cable the output of the Set Velocity transformer into the sequencer input (in the MIDI Click and Ports layer). Then record enable a new track and press record, the MIDI notes will be "rendered" with the new velocity in real time. 
David Nahmani
Logic Pro X 10.5.1

realdealpeel

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Hey David. This is great!!

Version 10.4.2 here. Pre-story context: What I've noticed about Logic's automation: There is a significant delay - several milliseconds between an automation node (track or region, CCs etc) and an event. You cannot reliably put a node at the same time as an event and expect Logic to apply that parameter to the event. The delay is too significant and Logic doesn't know how to account for it. It only works OK for gradual changes. But if the automation is square shaped with the front of the square on top of an event, Logic will not see it in time. So as fantastic as the MIDI plugins are, especially the Velocity plugin - for controlling velocities via automation, the delay is just too significant for them to be useful, especially for drums.

However, David has engineered this to somehow work unlike those MIDI plugins. So there is no delay! Brilliant!

However (again), with this "hack" some of the UI and features change for some reason. And track automation now disappears, so becomes unusable. And No plugin parameters are available in the dropdown on the track header. So, no audio plugins can be automated. So this would require outputting the signal to an aux and mixing there. Pain in A to have multiple tracks for something so simple. But it's nice to know Logic is at least capable of reliably automating velocity curves!

Mr. Nahmani, why doesn't Apple just hire you to engineer every part of their software? You figured this out 13 years ago. Yet, today Logic still cannot write velocity curves in any useful way. Thanks for these awesome and useful tools!