Talkback button

Here's a talkback button.

Its built on a seperate environment layer so you can import.

Screenset 3 shows the layer in edit mode

As the Talkback mic comes up to 0dB, the cue send and monitors dim

Change the cables from each of the event monitor outs to suit your setups.

Hope you like it!

Stephen

talkback.zip

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ok so after so long of trying to figure out my login and not having the right email address linked to it (which I only use one email address) I finally decided to make another darn account.

Anyways about the TB button. Does anyone know how I can trigger this TB button to a midi controller? I have a foot switch that I wanna control the TB button with.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I am also looking how to set this up to be controlled by a midi controller or some button. I have looked at some other environment setups that I can't get to work at all, this one works if I click in the environment, but how can I trigger it on the fly? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Ok, I did some Googling and I got this to work in my own project without too much trouble. What I did was clicked 'Options' in the Environment window and chose 'Import Environment -> Layer...' then chose the downloaded talkback-B Logic File. This got the Talkback Layer into my project. At this point when I hit the button it was muting my Master Volume Channel, so I clicked and held on the second arrow down coming out of the right side of the 'To Cue Aux' Monitor Box until that wire unplugged. I then Option+Clicked on that arrow and chose the channel I wanted dimmed when the Talkback is on. Then I did the same thing on the bottom monitor box, but this time I chose the channel I wanted muted when the talkback system is off. The only thing that I have a problem with now is that I do not know how to assign a midi controller key to turn this on and off. The button in the environment window is theoretically good, but the problem is that if you click on any channel strip in the mixer it changes what is being displayed in the environment window and the ON/OFF button goes away, so if someone can please offer some help on the Midi Control for this it would be great. I am going to Google some stuff and if I find anything I will post about it.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys,

First thank you #LFE06 for the talkback button.

For the ones that want to have the knob triggered by midi device like if using a real talk box button. By this I mean you have to push the button and hold when you are talking and real ease it to cut talkback

here are the steps , its simple as this.

In the environment

- select the Talkback layer

-clic new/physical input

-click new /faders/specials/bang 2nd fader

-click new / monitor

-link the midi device you want to use as talkback button to monitor, push the button to show its midi message

-link monitor to the bang 2nd fader

- let the bang 2nd fader instrument values as they are

- select the talkback text fader : set input to the value of your midi message ( note, program change ...) in my case its a note, then set the values as with the data byte 1 of your monitor ( third row) in my case E7.

-link the bang 2nd fader to the talkback fader.

-if the midi controller you are using is a fader , knob or foot expression pedal, you can stop here its will work as long as you push the controller all the way up or down ( data byte 2 needs to be 0 or 127 to trigger bang 2nd fader object.

if using a launchpad like dj's use oftenly, theire are chances you are all set! since their is no scaled velocity other that 1/ pushing hits 127 and 2/ releasing falls down to 0.

-if using keyboard keys since I have not yet found a way to dissociate the note on and off of incoming message just inside logic environment , I would have to dig a bit deeper.... but not just now, my girlfriend is waiting for me and I have crossed the boundaries of her patience gauge with this reply. if I see people interested in using keyboard key without assigning more than one key, I will try to work out a way to accomplish this. Maybe not using the meta 99 aka bang fader .

-Doneski

now press the note and it triggers

A maybe more elegant solution to my previous post would be to just insert a transformer to fix the velocity >= to 1 between your midi controller and the text fader. No need of the bang second fader. You have to set the text fader to respond to you midi note still ( same settings as mentioned in previous post)

beware if you want to replicate this environnement to set the 4 transformers of the on/off button to fader status and not control as in the attached project by LFE06

• 1 month later...

If anyone here is fond of Max, OS X is pretty fine with more apps hogging the same driver. I just created a simple interface in Max that used my internal MacBook mic, and routed the output to the performers channel (same output as it was in logic).

a big giant button in Mira frame... voila. instant talkback. Also added a meter because everyone likes meters.

• 1 month later...
I have a question. I'm just now trying to set up a talkback situation, have done so using suggestions from here, using agregate device, and all seems to be working well. But it now seems that my talkback channel always has to be in record mode in order for my talent to hear it. In one post, the person says that as long as the input 'i' button is selected, they will hear talkback. But either the record button has to be selected, or the track has to be selected, as that initiates the outlined R. Either way, the MUTE button doesn't seem to have any bearing on whether or not the track is engaged. What am I missing here?

#BuddysBoy,

Here is a pic of my routing above is when I press my midi talkback button and below is when I release it. Input 2 is the recording mic in the booth. Output 9-10 are the talent headphones. The VoiceOver 1 track is the booth mic channel, Ill set its input depending on what mic used.

Please don't mind the Bang 2 fader, he is an intruder. forgot to remove it.

As you can see here there is no need to enable record state.

Hope this helps.

1567774593_ScreenShot2015-11-05at11_16_41AM.thumb.jpg.9b63f7e1a0f471c4bd23a2920281d5dc.jpg

Sure,

Though last time I imported a environment layer in one of my project its was not working , dunno if the bug have been fixed.

In the Talkback layer , connect the top left monitor called "wire me to interface" to your midi controller in the physical input bay. The talkback switch responds to note E7. To change it , you need to ammend the pitch in the transformer named "fix velo"

Voiceover Template.logicx.zip

• 2 years later...
Here's a talkback button.

Hope you like it!

Stephen

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this. It's exactly what I wanted to accomplish for having a talkback function in logic.

Hi guys,

-if using keyboard keys since I have not yet found a way to dissociate the note on and off of incoming message just inside logic environment

now press the note and it triggers

That's what I wanted to do - use a note key on a MIDI keyboard to activate the Talkback Mic. I took @LFE06's talkback-B and @anjikyuzan's Voiceover Template files and continued from there. I also changed the inputs slightly to fit my setup with Vocalist mic on Input 1 and Talkback mic on Input 2.

First, I mapped C-1 to trigger the talkback button in the Voiceover Template, but "note off" from the MIDI note didn't turn the talkback button off. Nothing I tried in transformers would filter and change the Note Off event. After some searching and experimenting I figured it out. I used info from this post about environment note off handling to get the idea to set a transformer to condition splitter to split note on and note off.

Second, now that I had the MIDI keypress split into separate "note on" and "note off" paths I focused on each separately. The "Note on" path was easy. I just used what was done in @anjikyuzan's template - a transformer that fixes the velocity to 1 and feeds into the talkback button. But I took it one step further. Instead of setting the talkback button to accept note input, I modified the transformer further to convert the note event to a fader event, and just fed that into the talkback button as is.

Third, I manipulated the "note off" event to turn the talkback button off. This was difficult. And this may be a little different for different people since my note off event had a velocity value of 127, where I think I read that others were seeing a value of 0. (Anyway make adjustment in the "Note to fader 0" transformer for that as needed) The transformers wouldn't recognize or transform the note off in any way until I figured out that I could convert the note off to a note on event. It wasn't intuitive, but it worked. I changed the note off to note on by filtering for Note in a transformer and changing it to... Note. This resulted in a Note on event instead of a Note off event. Then I hooked up one more transformer to finish transforming it to a fader value of 0. I cabled the last transformer into the talkback button and it worked! Key release resulted in turning off the talkback button.

I have attached pictures of the environment in the "note on" state and "note off" states with monitors all over so you can see what's happening. I've also attached my logic file with the environment for download.

Note On:

1473818825_NoteOn.thumb.png.901c255412b4c5a96a60dbf04d37fa93.png

Note Off:

2065210917_NoteOff.thumb.png.b50e035d77b8e0038c5c33ed90215d39.png

Environment Template File:

Talkback-D_Note On and Off.logicx.zip

For complete flexibility, it would be great to have other options for triggering the Talkback button, but I don't know how to set them up. Maybe those much wiser and experienced than I am can tell us how to:

• Trigger the talkback with a key on the (typing) keyboard, like the letter "T" or an unused function key (I have a full size keyboard with number pad and function keys all the way up to F19)
  • Trigger the talkback with a button on a control surface, such as the "USER" button, or one of the F1-F8 buttons on my logic control

That would allow easy use of the Talkback button in any setup - with or without a MIDI keyboard, with or without a control surface...