Multi Channel Instrument plug-in template

16 Stereo Aux objects for Kontakts 8 Stereo outputs?

If you have 8 stereo outputs, then the main one appears on the Audio Instrument channel strip where Kontakt is instantiated. Then, you only need 7 stereo Aux objects for the remaining 7 outputs. Just click on the little mono/stereo icon (right below the meter on the Aux's channel strip) to make it stereo (you should see 2 meters).

There's no cabling for the audio, simply select the desired Kontakt out in the INPUT slot of each Aux channel strip.

If you have 8 stereo outputs, then the main one appears on the Audio Instrument channel strip where Kontakt is instantiated. Then, you only need 7 stereo Aux objects for the remaining 7 outputs.

Don't I need to set up 16 Aux objects in order to use all 16 midi channels in Kontakt?

Al

David, can you confirm what the Transformer is doing?

My guess is it is saying any controller data NOT coming in on MIDI channel 1 is sent to the channel splitter, is that right?

Also, why are the Auxes set to odd MIDI channels? I notice that Aux 3/4 for the EQ Strings 1 instrument is set to Channel 5 and so on up the chain. Is this arbitrary or is there a reason for it?

Thanks, DP

What if you have a MTVI but you only want to use the stereo outputs of the instrument? Naturally, you don't have to make the Auxes. How would you retain the control for independent levels and automation even though you don't want multiple outputs?

Thanks again—the knowledge on this board is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
In the original template attached to this thread, the transformer has the behavior you describe. That was enough for my personal use. You can chose to be more precise and only route CC#7 and CC#10.

The Aux'es MIDI Channel have no importance.

Hi David, just checking a couple of things here. I also have EWSO gold with Kompakt and so your revised transformer would have controllers 7 and 10 under the "inside" column?

The other thing is regarding the midi channels of the auxes. I have been changing them to match the midi channel of the multi Inst with the result that now I have two sets of auxes show up in the arrange when I do a "create next track" from an aux. But you say that the midi channels of the auxes have no importance. Is the changed midi the only reason I am getting doubled auxes? Or does it have something to do with copying them from my audio layer to my multi mixer layer? I'm not sure what to expect here, it seems pretty messy to have two versions of the same aux, although only the ones from the multimixer will show up in the adaptive mixer.

Getting ever closer with this multimixer....... 8)

Oh yeah, one other question. I've got all the faders working properly, the auxes move the midi faders and vice verse with one exception... the main fader does not move midi fader 1. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

I also have EWSO gold with Kompakt and so your revised transformer would have controllers 7 and 10 under the "inside" column?

Yes, that's a quick way to only select pan and volume CC data (along with CC#8 and 9 which are probably never going to be used).

The other thing is regarding the midi channels of the auxes.

Those are irrelevant. You don't need to set them. Don't make copies of Audio objects or you'll end up with duplicates: different audio objects assigned to the same audio channel. Not a good thing unless you really know what you're doing.

Oh yeah, one other question. I've got all the faders working properly, the auxes move the midi faders and vice verse with one exception... the main fader does not move midi fader 1. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

No, the main instrument should be hard wired to sub channel #1 on the multi. Check your connections!

Don't make copies of Audio objects or you'll end up with duplicates: different audio objects assigned to the same audio channel. Not a good thing unless you really know what you're doing.

Yep, I've got a whack of duplicates going here. That clears one thing up, sort of. So if I want those auxes on their own layer and they already exist in the audio layer is the thing to do is to simply cut and paste them? So that they only live on one layer?

No, the main instrument should be hard wired to sub channel #1 on the multi. Check your connections!

Connections are good....I think what's happening is that I've also got a duplicate of the main instrument channel which is why it won't control midi fader one.

Well! Back to the drawing board.

• 5 weeks later...

Heya, i'm having trouble using the multi channel instruments template that was very kindly posted by david. I think I understand the underlying principles but just don't understand the cabling ect of how to use it with another software instrument. I'm trying to get it to work with Garritan personal Orchestra but I don't understand what a 'mini-mixer layer' is and how to use it it with GPO.

I also don't know how to reinstantiate the inputs on the aux objects or import the software layer. I'm a newbie and feel a little stupid :( I'm doing theatre scores for shows in the edinburgh festival all this weekend so any fast help on this would be much appreaciated! Feel free to patronise me all you like as long as i can understand!

Thankyou!

Blair :-)

• 8 months later...
hey dave, can u (or someone that understands it) explain the workflow of using the buss 10 on this template. Im assuming its the headphone out. is it to record overdubs using live instruments or does it have another motive>?

thanks

Yup, that's my headphone mix, to use when I record live instruments. In that song file I also have the metronome routed to 9-10 (headphone outputs), that way I can never hear the metronome in my monitors, only in the headphones. I usually have the headphone mix feature more drums than anything else, so I can focus on my timing.

• 3 weeks later...

David,

You may remember that I posted a similar setup some time ago, with one of the main differences being that I used two transformers instead of one. I'm using one xformer to block automation on chan. 2 - 16 from ever getting to the audio instrument itself, and another xformer to block chan. 1 automation from ever reaching the channel splitter. It's been working for me just fine.

But I've remained curious as to your use of a single xformer in "condition splitter" mode. So I started to re-work one of my multi-output instruments to use this and I found a strange thing...

The aux channels receive their automation data just fine (top cable). But the audio instrument itself will not respond to automation data coming from the xformer (bottom cable) unless I cable a monitor inbetween that bottom output and the audio instrument.

I'm baffled by this...

So to check myself, I opened your template, copied your transformer into my setup and cabled it in place. Unfortunately, though, same situation... unless a monitor is inserted between the bottom output of the xformer and the instrument, that instrument won't receive automation data.

Can you shed any light on this situation for me? Is this a bug? (I'm on 7.1.1)

Many Thanks,

Ski

Hi Ski!! :wink:

Hmmm... not sure what's happening in your environment. In mine automation works fine the way it's cabled. You just have to set the Audio Instrument and Aux objects to Read mode, obviously. Do you want to upload your environment? I'll look at it. You could also try my environment and make sure the automation works fine in my environment but on your system, with your version of Logic.

I'm on 7.2.1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm trying to set something up for my Roland MC-808.

I want to be able to record on each of the 16 channels and then play back through the 16 on the MC-808.

I'm not used to using the midi sample groovebox so any advice on setting this up will be much appreciated.

Speak to you soon.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

May I say 2 things 1.) The amount of work that needs to be done to create basic functionality of software instrument faders is PREPOSTEROUS 2.) I would do just about anything for a little check box in a preference window that says "mixer faders control midi volume" or something to that effect.

I just migrated from Pro Tools to Logic after being told for years about Logic's usability for composers. Well, I must say, it isn't all its cracked up to be. Why I will STAY is because, to date, Logic is the only DAW I can get stable, optimum performance out of VEPro. But wow, this automation quirk is going to be really hard to live with.

I don't fully understand all of the work being done to achieve this in this thread, but it DOES look like it's far too much work to be practical with constantly changing templates. Maybe it's easier than it sounds.

• 1 month later...

first of all. I'm new to the forum - welcome everyone. It's great!

David,

your template worked, but I'm still not satisfied with the/my set up and workflow...

If I automate - let's say volume - on one of the Midi Tracks, yes the corresponding Aux Channel Fader moves along, but the automation data is of course just written on the Midi Track. Among other things we have to be careful not to write data on the Midi Track and another time on the Aux, because then the signal is dealing with two infos at the same time. So... this means you are using the Aux just for Inserts and never touch the Fader? (still that way Im dealing with two strips)

If the Midi is routed to the Aux, why is the "destination" strip in the Inspector Master Midi, not Aux? I always have to open the Mixer to get to the Aux...?

Also in Logic 9 one cannot switch between db and numeric value anymore on the faders. I rather work with db. So what I did is take away the transformer (simplest Multi-instrument setup with multi channels) and create an corresponding Aux Track in the Arrange underneath each Midi Track). Yes, you get a lot of tracks that way, but I use the Hide funcion.

Last I didn't understand in your setup, why we go back out of the Aux to the Multi?

Thanks so much. This is not so much problem solving as sharing thoughts on workflow and I'm curious to hear your take on it. Maybe I'm missing something.

daniel

1.If I automate - let's say volume - on one of the Midi Tracks, yes the corresponding Aux Channel Fader moves along, but the automation data is of course just written on the Midi Track. Among other things we have to be careful not to write data on the Midi Track and another time on the Aux, because then the signal is dealing with two infos at the same time. So... this means you are using the Aux just for Inserts and never touch the Fader? (still that way Im dealing with two strips)

Yes, you should do the automation on the MIDI track (that's the purpose of this template), not on the Aux tracks. In fact, the aux channel strips should not have a track (again, the purpose of this template is to avoid having 2 tracks for each instrument). Yes, you still have two channel strips, I don't believe there's a workaround for that if you want individual processing on each instrument.

2.If the Midi is routed to the Aux, why is the "destination" strip in the Inspector Master Midi, not Aux? I always have to open the Mixer to get to the Aux...?

Destination strip? Not sure what you mean here. :?

4.Last I didn't understand in your setup, why we go back out of the Aux to the Multi?

So that if you're in the Mixer and decide to move the volume of an Aux, the corresponding MIDI instrument fader moves along.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for this great concept. Was wondering if you had updated it or changed anything since 2006 when it was posted. I am just setting up my template and using this as a base in 9.1.3 .I used to use multitimbral software instruments with VSL PRO instead of midi external. Can you explain the benefit of not doing it that way . As far as I can see the advantage of using multi timbral with Vsl is that you can then bounce in place on all midi tracks on the arrange page but the disadvantage is that it gets a bit messy in the mixer . Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...