Teddy Riley-style Effect Rack triggered by keys

This template was born out of a (no longer available) Teddy Riley on YouTube.

Here's my attempt at setting up a template that allows you to trigger various effects with the keys on your controller keyboard.

V 1.0

An audio track is routed into three Auxes.

Aux 1 is dry

Aux 2 is a Ring Modulator

Aux 3 is a Distorted Tremolo

Pressing C1 gives you the Ring Mod effect

Pressing any other key gives you the Distorted Tremolo

Releasing the key switches you back to the dry sound

There is no fader functionality (yet)

Let me know how that works for you and what improvements you'd like to see? This could become a killer template.

EffectRack 1.0.zip

Hi David,

I made a very modest addition to your very cool environment. The modwheel will now introduce a flanged 16th note delay.

I had to disconnect the modwheel from doing what it used to do (though I'm not quite sure what it was doing before LOL); I did this by adding a simple cable switcher just to take it out of the circuit for a minute.

Anyway, enjoy!

EffectRack 1.1.logic.zip

• 1 month later...

Thanks man, great idea!

When I first watched the video I thought it would be great to have something like that, but I don't know enough about environment to make it.

I'm not sure does he have one effect per key or he uses key combinations to switch effects.

Delay and reverse effect would be great to add.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
this is really cool indeed! i wanted to know how i could route more keys to more aux channels. tried to figure it out but couldnt. i would like to add more effects to the auxes for triggering.

Please could you respond with instructions on how to do this.

Thanx

Please could you respond with instructions on how to do this.

If you know the environment basics, then open that file's environment window, and go to the Click & Ports layer. Make sure you choose View > Cables to see the MIDI + Fader data routings.

• The blue switch simply toggles the whole thing on/off.

• The first transformer turns note events into Fader events.

• The second transformer (at the top) separates note on and note off events (even though these are now Fader events)

• The "Note On" and "Note Off" transformers separate the notes by pitch (to know which Aux to mute/unmute)

• The last transformers turn those note/fader events into Mute on/off events before routing them to the correct Aux

Hope that helped!

I'm a little confused. How did you get the cable to turn inward.

I think you're referring to those cables at the end of the last transformers? They actually are routed to objects in another layer, which is why you see that little hammer-looking thingy... anyway you Option-click the output triangle and then choose the destination object from the pop-up menu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

... towards “a killer template” ...

EffectRack1.2

I’ve added the following to David’s 1.0, and ski’s 1.1...

*an activate / bypass function for each of the 15 insert slots on the aux channel strips - very handy for auditioning and comparing different combinations of plugins ( the aux channel needs to be selected, and have an arrange track in the arrange window for this to work ). C#1 activates / bypasses insert 1, D#1 for insert 2, F#1 for insert 3 etc

*3 more aux channel strips

EffectRack 1.2.zip

Edited by ibt