Basic Korg NanoKontroller Environment

Logic is finally letting me use the LEARN function to program the nanoK and I really like the flexibility. However, Logic occasionally pulls its' controller assignments disappearing act and deletes my hard work.

Using the Learn function will let the user:

Set up banks of 8 channel strips allowing full control over Faders, pans, mutes, and solos. Buttons can be set up to go directly to the bank.

This will work with any new project whether it has one channel strip or many of any combination.

Sends (all 8 in the strip) can be controlled by selecting the specific channel strip. A button can be set up to go directly to the Bus Send.

Different inserts can be called up with a button push and controlled reusing the same scene over and over. In addition, all FX and Instrument inserts on a channel strip can be called up and scrolled thru.

It is really versatile and allows for so many variations.

Here is an improved version or the basic nanoKontrol.

It has 32 channels of audio and Instruments, 8 Aux channels along with the Output and Master.

All 8 send slots are controllable.

Download the Nano template ( see below) and open the Communication tab of the Korg program and write the settings to your NanoK.

( It does not include the FX section for now. ) :cry:

Be sure your NanoK is set up with the values shown in this image

http://www.logicprohelp.com/files/picture_1_305.png

The nano channels 1 - 8 will control the Logic mixer. The 9th nanok channel controls the selection of the Logic functions.

NanoK knob 9 will select Audio/Instrument/Aux/Output/Master channels.

Slider 9 will select the Bank for the Channels.

The Lower button 9 will select the FADER/Sends selections.

the Lower buttons 1-8 in send mode will turn on/off the bus sends.

It's that easy.

Use the LEARN function via Key commands to program the transport ( loop is cycle ).

:wink:

Setting 1.nktrl_set.zip

KorgNanoK Basic 32ch.logic.zip

753322798_Picture2.png.7f67486c136e5a553ac96d6cdd0da4e4.png

Edited by shivermetimbers

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much for posting this.

Couldn't open the marker to see info but went ahead anyway. Some of the sliders are operating other sliders at the moment and some sliders do panning on previous tracks. Transport isn't working for me yet. What was the info in the marker?

Thanks very much for posting this.

Couldn't open the marker to see info but went ahead anyway. Some of the sliders are operating other sliders at the moment and some sliders do panning on previous tracks. Transport isn't working for me yet. What was the info in the marker?

Options >Marker > Open Marker text.

Assign the key commands for Play, Stop, etc to the nano transport using the learn function.

Your Nano needs to be set up like the pic. Basically everything goes chronologically from CC# 1 to 127. Scene 1 is 1 - 36, scene 2 continues as does scene 3 and 4. Everything is changed around in the Environment.

All you will be using for now will be scene 1.

909843814_Picture10.png.10fa66202f6c137428019c8bd4d9ade9.png

I'm relatively new to Logic and have gotten the nanoKontrol from Santa. Following these excellent directions I've gotten the transport buttons to work as well as the faders in the project at the beginning of this thread.

This may be a simple question but I'm not clear how to transfer all of the fader magic to my existing projects. I'm sure it has something to do with enviroment layers but I'm not sure exactly what.

The transport buttons work in my existing projects [key commands are global I guess?]

thanks for all this terrific info.

cheers

sean808080

http://sean808080.com

I'm relatively new to Logic and have gotten the nanoKontrol from Santa. Following these excellent directions I've gotten the transport buttons to work as well as the faders in the project at the beginning of this thread.

This may be a simple question but I'm not clear how to transfer all of the fader magic to my existing projects. I'm sure it has something to do with enviroment layers but I'm not sure exactly what.

The transport buttons work in my existing projects [key commands are global I guess?]

cheers

sean808080

And I'm in exactly the same boat, I've followed your guides and the transport buttons work, for some reason logic thinks that faders 1 and 2 are mute and solo.

Help Appreciated thanks

amazing posts about this Korg Kontrol cheers guys!!

I unfortunately cant get it to work with logic... I'm new to environments and for the life of me cant get it to work!!!!transport stuff is fine just want those damm faders to work for me...Iv tried your walkthrough and still no joy :(

any help would be most appreciated

cheers

chris

You have to start at the beginning with this:

Download the Nano template ( see below) and open the Communication tab and write the settings to your NanoK.

Did you "write" the settings? I missed that step! If you don't you'll have done no programming at all.

amazing posts about this Korg Kontrol cheers guys!!

I unfortunately cant get it to work with logic... I'm new to environments and for the life of me cant get it to work!!!!transport stuff is fine just want those damm faders to work for me...Iv tried your walkthrough and still no joy :(

any help would be most appreciated

cheers

chris

Download the Nano template ( see below) and open the Communication tab and write the settings to your NanoK.

Did you "write" the settings? I missed that step! If you don't you'll have done no programming at all.

Thanks that worked.

Is there a way to turn the solo and mute buttons (as they are set out on the logic file) into latching switches? I'm new to environments, but I've used logic for well over a year.

cheers

sean808080

That is the nice part about Logic's Environment, you can import and add to OR replace the entire settings.

If you are in a new project, go to the environment window and under Option, select one of the IMPORT menus. You will need to experiment to suit your needs.

Once you have the specific Environment set up, you can simply do a Total Replace.

818768598_Picture2.png.b6773bfc7b199a94d033cb506b7f9b9a.png

Thanks that worked.

Is there a way to turn the solo and mute buttons (as they are set out on the logic file) into latching switches? I'm new to environments, but I've used logic for well over a year.

You NanoK switches should be set to Toggle and not Momentary (if that's what you meant).

747295613_Picture3.png.33fbf9241cd8009bcec42bc49a129f04.png

Onto my next simple or dumb question...

I've gotten the NanoKontrol to correctly move faders in the ALL tracks view as well as control transport.

The question I have is if I want to mix the tracks of my piece, the ALL tracks view has all the AUX and BUS channels which take up track positions.

If I filter to Mix:arrange so that the mixer shows the same tracks and positions on the arrange window, the nanokontrol doesn't correspond to those channel faders.

What am I missing here? What's the magic to get the NK faders to correspond to the arrange tracks?

Thanks in advance! :roll: :roll:

This specific Environment Template was set up for only 8 audio, 8 Instr, 8 Aux, the Output and Master channels (along with the related sends). However, it can easily be expanded to as many channels you need.

Since the NanoK is a dumb controller (meaning it only sends out the basic info and cannot detect and recable as necessary), the environment needs to be set up to accomodate the NanoK.

If you were to delete some of the channels, the cabling would then be lost for the deleted channels and would then need to be recabled if you added the channels back.

So if I need more than this basic set up, I would need to create the environment with a few more channels than I think i may need. All the sections would still be used in banks of 8.

Right now only the 1st 8 audio channels should respond. If you were to add a ninth, it wouldn't work with the 9th simply because it isn't cabled.

The best thing to do would be to create the Environment template to be initially larger than what you would normally need.

How many channels (and types) are you wanting to use?

Hi Shivermetimbers - just wanted to say thanks for all the information above, it has been a godsend while setting up my nK with logic 7 (and it's taught me a fair bit about the environment in general, which I'd been meaning to get into more deeply for some time).

I have a question though - now I've managed to get the various controls set up as I want them, controlling track mute buttons, volume faders and pan knobs etc, is there any way to record this controller data as individual track automation using touch or latch mode? I've tried various routing options, automation splitters etc. but can't seem to make it work (i.e. the parameters in question still move as desired but no automation data is being written to the track).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ok I figured out a simple way to work with the environment object for NK.

Instead of pulling my hair out using it with an existing project - which didn't give me 8 tracks of audio and 8 tracks of midi etc- I just created a new project and voila...I got my 8 tracks of audio and 8 tracks of midi to play with.

Just thought I'd share my simple fix to something I coudln't figure out.

Hi Shivermetimbers - just wanted to say thanks for all the information above, it has been a godsend while setting up my nK with logic 7 (and it's taught me a fair bit about the environment in general, which I'd been meaning to get into more deeply for some time).

I have a question though - now I've managed to get the various controls set up as I want them, controlling track mute buttons, volume faders and pan knobs etc, is there any way to record this controller data as individual track automation using touch or latch mode? I've tried various routing options, automation splitters etc. but can't seem to make it work (i.e. the parameters in question still move as desired but no automation data is being written to the track).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Normally, the Sequencer Input object would need to be cabled. However, the Nano sends out different midi values and everything gets confused.

I am not sure how you have your Nano K set up, but as far as automation goes...

I chose Scene three and used the Learn function to assign each of the 8 tracks so that Sliders 1- 8 control Volume, Pots 1-8 control PAN, etc.

In the arrange window you simply hit the play button and automate away... All 8 tracks at a time. So you could set up all 4 scenes to learn different things. Once you are done with that set of automation, you can reLearn the controls to new parameters and continue automating.

You can use the Mode change function of the Controller assignments so that you can re use the same controller knobs to control many different parameters. In other words, slider 1 would control volume, hit the mode change button ( you assigned ) and re use slider 1 to control an insert fx parameter.

After a while you will have compiled a multitude of Learned function commands using one set of control knobs and switching which sets simply by pushing a button.

So using the LEARN function (Instead of the Environment) you can set a button to switch MODES and control most everything in Logic using only one scene.

Some people may like this method better. It involves time, but it can be done as it is needed so that the Controller assignments continually get added to (or subtracted from).

Eventually, you will have a switch to go from bank 1-8 to bank 9-16, to bank 17-24, etc

FX inserts can be done in the same manner, except you only need to learn the specific effect once. To control it, you will use the mode switch to select that effect, select the track it is on and move the controller knobs/sliders/buttons.

The only drawback is that sometimes all the controller assignments can get corrupted or erased.

Ok I figured out a simple way to work with the environment object for NK.

Instead of pulling my hair out using it with an existing project - which didn't give me 8 tracks of audio and 8 tracks of midi etc- I just created a new project and voila...I got my 8 tracks of audio and 8 tracks of midi to play with.

Just thought I'd share my simple fix to something I coudln't figure out.

For existing projects it would be easier to use the Learn function for each channel. You can use scene 1 and program the controller assignments in mode sets. The nano K will then begin to function the same way the bigger controllers do.

fascinating thread.... cheers guys....

my quick question....

I've opened my nano knotrol straight from the box and noticed the square LED channel buttons (2 per chan) only stay ‘on’ continually in scene 4 only.

Scene’s 1-3 do not stay lit (the two square button LED’s per channel)... they only light as the button is pressed then go straight off.

Has anyone else had this problem? Indeed, is it a probelm at all? :roll:

Thanks :) I just ordered the Nano-collection (all three of 'em), so this will save a bunch to set it up.

good choice. i'm really enjoying my nanokontrol but I am amazed at how much time it takes to get it working and really learn it.

not a plug and play it in 5 minutes kind of gadget. more of the gift that keeps giving if you invest the time in it.

who knew 60 bucks spent on midi equip could be so challenging! :-)

sean808080

Note: I've since discovered...

The default configuration has the scene 4 buttons set to toggle, but scenes 1-3 all set to momentary. If you run the Korg editor and set the others to toggle, they will stay lit.

Toggle: Lite will stay on or off with every press.

Momentary, Light is on only when pressed.

I thought you meant a button would permanently stay on no matter what. So your NanoK is working properly?

sorry mate, I didn't explain properly.

Yeah, all seems normal, scenes 1-3 = (factory default) momentary, and scene 4 = toggle.

However I'm still wrestling with the Kontrol editor..... I can't get scenes 1-3 buttons to toggle.

I've just deleted the USB driver and KONTROL editor and re-installed. Now I've experimented saving with different "Button Function" settings both _set and _data.

I'm trying to save Scene 1 with toggle action buttons on Channel 1 as a trial/test. See pic:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/cccb/NanokontrolEditorExamplePic.jpg

But, when I try the nanokontrol buttons, it's still behaving as momentary and upon reopening the Kontrol Editor my edits are unrecognised and have returned to factory default :?

Any ideas?

this might be obvious...but I learned the hard way. YOu have to go to the menu and WRITE the changes to the device.

DOH!

sean808080

sorry mate, I didn't explain properly.

Yeah, all seems normal, scenes 1-3 = (factory default) momentary, and scene 4 = toggle.

However I'm still wrestling with the Kontrol editor..... I can't get scenes 1-3 buttons to toggle.

I've just deleted the USB driver and KONTROL editor and re-installed. Now I've experimented saving with different "Button Function" settings both _set and _data.

I'm trying to save Scene 1 with toggle action buttons on Channel 1 as a trial/test. See pic:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/cccb/NanokontrolEditorExamplePic.jpg

But, when I try the nanokontrol buttons, it's still behaving as momentary and upon reopening the Kontrol Editor my edits are unrecognised and have returned to factory default :?

Any ideas?

:roll: Edited by sean808080
  • Like 1