Toggle between 24 running patterns (like Ultrabeat)

This template allows you to toggle between patterns (beats, riffs...) live, or by arranging trigger notes in a MIDI Region. The principle is the one used in Ultrabeat's Step Sequencer, Pattern Mode "Toggle".

For this template to work, you have to take the following steps:

1) Go to screenset 2, select the desired Ultrabeat setting (if you are starting from patterns created inside an Ultrabeat setting).

2) Drag & Drop each respective pattern individually onto the tracks named "C-1", "C#-1"...

3) Make sure Ultrabeat is NOT in pattern mode.

4) Back to screenset 1: Make sure both "Ultrabeat" and "Trigger" tracks are rec-enabled, and play Logic.

You can use this template to play any instrument live just like Ultrabeat's "Toggle" mode. You can toggle the patterns by clicking with the mouse on the turquoise keyboard floating window, or with your MIDI Controller keyboard.

This template is a hybrid of the "Toggle" and "Sustain" modes in Ultrabeat's step sequencer: it will always toggle between running patterns like UB's Toggle mode, however if you let go of a key on your keyboard, then the pattern will stop, like in UB's "Sustain" mode.

Here's where it gets exciting: you can overlap patterns or even play several at once. Depending on how you create your patterns, this makes it very easy to build up as the song goes: you could have a simple basic Kick pattern, a Snare pattern, and then some fills and keep building up since you can play them all at once. Experiment!

You can record the MIDI Region of the results of switching between patterns directly onto the Ultrabeat track for further editing.

Note that it also has a switch to transpose 2 octaves down in the "Click & Ports" layer (you can't use the MIDI Thru transpose function in this template).

If you have questions or need improvements, please post here, and I will improve!

Pattern Toggler.lso.zip

pic.jpg.a976086a345317cc877a85f3f855ebec.jpg

Edited by David Nahmani

First of all thank you!

If i can get this working correctly it'll be very, very nice.

The notes come through transposed somehow.

Connecting the instrument directly to the OUT does react as expected.

To what is your OUT cabled by default?

By replacing your cabling with a "seq in" i get the same transposed result.

OUT goes back to the sequencer in, so you can record the results in a MIDI Region.

PS: I just uploaded a brand new 24 Pattern version, check it out!

Not sure why you'd get transposition problems... what kind of transposition, 2 octaves or just a few semitones?

The only place where I transpose is right after the physical input, I have a switch to transpose -24 semitones to easily access the C-1 through B0 notes with any keyboard.

Can you explain what kind of transposition problem you're getting, where, and how much? It should be just transparent, I'm not sure why you'd get transposition problems...

hmmm..

transposing the ultrabeat back up to 0 (instead of -12) and using from c-2 upwards seems to be working..

You're right, I didn't notice Ultrabeat was set to transpose -12, and programmed the whole environment around that.

I have uploaded a new version right now, where I have fixed all that. Your transposition problems should now be gone. Let me know?

Hi.

I had a quick look at your file and played with it a bit but how does it differ (or to be exact what are the functional differences) from Logic's Touch Track-object? Couldn't one just simply drag desired patterns from UB to Touch Tracks-object and play those patterns with it?

I

Touch tracks will start when you hit the key. This templates switched between running pattern, so if you want to switch patterns at, say, 1 3 4 0, then you will go into the new pattern at 1 3 4 0, not at the beginning of the new pattern like Touch Tracks would do. Touch Tracks are the equivalent of Ultrabeat's "Sustain" mode. You lose the grove as soon as you trigger a different pattern (unless you trigger it exactly at the right time).

Think of it that way. Let's say you're triggering a piano EXS24 instead of Ultrabeat. You could have 24 different 12 bar blues progressions, and switch between variations as they are running. Touch tracks would start at the beginning of the blues progression everytime you trigger a new one, making it unusable for that use. This template would be perfect for that.

Thanks! The triggering is working perfectly now.

The recording still has me baffled..As it's recording i see the notes being written to the arrange track but as soon as i hit stop i get a region and an alias. In the region are the trigger notes (c-1, d-1 etc.) and layered notes on the first 16th beat of each bar. Not the pattern.

OK, there was another quantize setting set wrong, thanks for your feedback! I just fixed it and uploaded the fixed version. With all your feedback we'll end up making this template work right.

So now the alias will get recorded because you need the trigger track to be rec-armed when playing the triggers live. You can just erase it when you're done recording.

There are ways to avoid the alias being recorded and the trigger notes being recorded within the resulting MIDI Region, but nothing elegant, so I think for now it's better to simply erase the alias and use a transform function on the resulting MIDI region to get rid of all notes below C1 (although you don't need to).

Sure!

Actually, I have fixed the two issues you mentioned, and uploaded yet a new version just this second.

I got rid of the "Trigger" track altogether and now send all trigger notes directly to the Trigger object before they come to the sequencer.

So now you only have your Ultrabeat track, and when you record on it you only get the results of your composite pattern arrangement, without the trigger notes. Since there is no more trigger track, there is no Alias being recorded.

Cool!

Let me know if I can improve this in any way.

I had a bit of a play around with it and i was wondering how hard it would be to get it to behave slightly more like ultrabeats toggle mode. I can see that the current behaviour also has advantages but it would be nice if you could have it lock on once you hit a note instead of having to hold the key. And also stop playing the current pattern once a new one is triggered.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, since I'd been trying to do something similar and found this thread I though I'd post the variant I've made which toggles on note on. Hit a key once to start a loop going, hit it again to stop.

I suppose I could even add some fun with meta events to allow switching of each note between triggered and toggled mode, but I think cabling that lot up could be nasty.

I'm not sure, but could touch tracks be used as a more efficient way to do this with toggles? I think they can be quantised to the bar which might also be useful.

Note-On Pattern Toggle.lso.zip

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

This is great, I use Logic live and am always trying to find ways to make it more interactive. I have problems importing this in to an existing project, the cables all get assigned to random tracks. I'm pretty good in the environment but have almost no experience (or luck) moving objects from one project to another. Can someone walk me through getting this to work with an existing project?

I guess the other tact would be import my existing project to this one?

• 2 years later...

This method works great. I have 2 questions about this. 

The notes in the environment are set from C-1 to A#0, how can I change the notes?

I want to use multiple pattern trigger layers (by copy/paste) and assign each layer to different midi channels. 

How can I do this?