Realtime Velocity Scaling w/Modwheel

This Logic 8 environment allows you to add or subtract note velocities with the mod wheel control on your keyboard.

The mod wheel does not fix the velocity value of the notes, it adds to or subtracts from the existing velocity values. So any velocity variations present in your recording are preserved.

The attached project file contains an arpeggiated sequence that already has variations in velocity. Select the MWCntrlsVelo track. Play the sequence and move your modwheel. Leaving the modwheel in the center position leaves the velocity values unchanged. Moving the modwheel up incrementally adds to the values and moving it down incrementally subtracts from the values. The result is that the relative note velocity values originally recorded in the region remain unchanged.

This can be a neat alternative to an expression control as it will modify both level and timbre in accordance with your synth's settings.

You can sequence cc#1 on the MIDI track to automate this function.

f8_MWtoVel_AddSubtract_v2.logic.zip

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I resume this old thread... :)

i tried the modwheel enviroment patch linked here, thank to the poster

it would be interesting to do this:

1) write or record a midi part (with its own varying velocities)

2) write a consistent add/subtract velocity automation (like the one in Cubase), that catches even when you stop/play/stop

the modwheel patch linked above behaves in a different manner:

if i play the song, the modulation cc applies to velocities

but if i stop and then play again (in the middle of a modwheel automation curve, with many nodes) the region velocities "reset" the modifier quantity

hope i described this in a comprehensible way :)